Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 11:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I agree that in our system business has to follow the economy. But the economy will be naturally and unnaturally altered by business, politics and Gov't. This is not going to stop. You're asking for some kind of Laissez-faire capitalist nirvana which ain't gonna happen.
I'm asking for nothing of the sort. You haven't seen me defend Sarbanes/Oxley in multiple threads and ask why no one is enforcing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you are looking at a 50% loss, renting would be a good option, especially when you know renting would become cheaper over time
In theory. In real life it isn't going to happen. We have far too much classroom theory running the country because so many in charge know nothing beyond that.

We have people streaming across the border, apartments don't grow on tree's. Our population isn't falling. Rent isn't going to fall. It might be stagnant but IMO consistency is good.

Even in small pockets that people flee and rents fall some it's not going to be a major consideration. Besides, if you know rent will be cheaper next year why not hang around in the Wal-Mart parking lot and wait until next year?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Japan has not had 20 years of deflation, they have been on both sides of zero for 20 years, and they have seen 20 years of economic stagnation during that period. If you like stagnation, they you probably like what we have in US today, because we have stagnation.
Seriously you call record market prices stagnation? Yes, we have stagnation in wages and hiring but that wouldn't be so bad if the markets weren't driving up prices.

I'm not sure why I bother.

Japan's 20-Year Deflationary Spiral Is About To End - Forbes

Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
With what has gone down the last 100 years, I wouldn't believe anything an economist said.

We should just file bankruptcy. After all, we are giving money to folks that had no business loaning it in the first place...

.Ron Paul: U.S. should declare 'bankruptcy' - Jun. 28, 2011

"We owe, like, $1.6 trillion because the Federal Reserve bought that debt, so we have to work hard to pay the interest to the Federal Reserve," Paul said. "We don't, I mean, they're nobody; why do we have to pay them off? - Ron Paul
I voted for Paul twice, but I don't think he was actually proposing bankruptcy.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seriously you call record market prices stagnation? Yes, we have stagnation in wages and hiring but that wouldn't be so bad if the markets weren't driving up prices.
They are referring to economic growth, not the stock market.

Quote:
I'm not sure why I bother.
You asking me? Look at Japan inflation rates and see they have been on both sides of zero for a long time, sometimes just under, and sometimes just over zero.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:03 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seriously you call record market prices stagnation?
stock market prices , especially in the united states, don't have much to do with the domestic economy.

they are international exchanges, with international buyers trading international stocks that serve international markets.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
stock market prices , especially in the united states, don't have much to do with the domestic economy.

they are international exchanges, with international buyers trading international stocks that serve international markets.
But we can't have a DOW at or near record heights in a Depression. So there has to be some correlation there. The stock markets reflect a part, but one major part of our overall economy.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
But we can't have a DOW at or near record heights in a Depression.
we can .. it's just not likely.

a depression is multiple consecutive quarters of negative GDP. you could have that occuring simultaneously with a big rise in foreign profits. combine that with a weak domestic currency, and it's certainly not beyond the pale that we'd have record stock market highs in a depression.

to be clear, though, we aren't in a depression.

Quote:
So there has to be some correlation there. The stock markets reflect a part, but one major part of our overall economy.
i disagree.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
we can .. it's just not likely.

a depression is multiple consecutive quarters of negative GDP. you could have that occuring simultaneously with a big rise in foreign profits. combine that with a weak domestic currency, and it's certainly not beyond the pale that we'd have record stock market highs in a depression.

to be clear, though, we aren't in a depression.

i disagree.
Dow Jones Industrial Average (2000 - Present Daily) - Charting Tools - StockCharts.com

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM

and?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies