Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Is it really? Or is it really a form of correction...

Deflation Is Coming, and It Doesn't Have to Be Bad - Businessweek

"Good deflation stems from a positive supply shock, e.g., a string of major innovations that combine to push down costs and prices while opening up new markets and opportunities."
... are you actually suggesting that economics are contingent on something other than policy? :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, I am going to completely ignore these claims from here on out. If you want to discuss what is happening fine. If you want to discuss what the government is claiming I am no longer interested.
Conspiracy theories just don't help your credibility.

QE doesn't cause inflation because printing money isn't the trigger for inflation. The money velocity equation has several variables. Why isn't QE inflationary? Look at where that money ends up... (Hint: not in the economy)

Quote:
I remember it being pretty ugly in the late 70's and early 80's.
Did it destroy the country?

Quote:
Again, I have no interest in discussing what is being claimed.
...data?

Quote:
It isn't just lower operating expense that is helping profits. Costs are going up for business also. Our transportation costs for our products have skyrocketed. Yes, there are less people doing more also but the government pumping the markets are making paper gains. Business isn't hiring because they are not producing more. Demand is not there even though income is up. That's not good.
....businesses are hiring. Profits are up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about, but it is not a government claim, but a simple fact: increasing money supply should feed inflation. Feel free to disagree, but it won't change facts, or make the facts "goverment claims".
It "should" but it doesn't always.

The formula is as follows:

M * V = P *Y

M = money supply
V = velocity of money
P = price level
Y = quantity of output

QE is a bank bailout. It has no money velocity, thus canceling out the equation.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The national debt is not a credit card bill that is due.
Actually it is. TBills have due dates on them.. More evidence you dont have a clue mr economics professional...

Old 05-13-2014, 07:05 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
This thread is hilarious. I'm no economist, and I'm glad some on this thread aren't either. Economics trumps political ideology. To assume that 'liberals' are doing unjust things with the economy and are no-nothings undermines any credibility some of you may have had.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually it is. TBills have due dates on them.. More evidence you dont have a clue mr economics professional...
Who issues the T-Bills?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM

so now all of the whining the left did about the war debt, was meaningless..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Who issues the T-Bills?

Um, the US Treasury Department, a governmental branch..

Pretending you know what you're talking about might work in school, but not here, so stop.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:45 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What is the government claiming?

I am not sure what you are talking about, but it is not a government claim, but a simple fact: increasing money supply should feed inflation. Feel free to disagree, but it won't change facts, or make the facts "goverment claims".
Sometimes this is fun and sometimes it just gets old. That is not what you said.

Increasing money supply should feed inflation and it is feeding real inflation. You said it wasn't.

Quote:
Some actions feed inflation and some deflation. QE should feed inflation, but it hasn't done that.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Massive fail, since one of the greatest periods of growth came during the 1950s with no Real Inflation.
LOL, ahh yes. When facts fail apparently out and out lies work?

Jan 1, 1960 1.03% Jan 1, 1959 1.40% Jan 1, 1958 3.62% Jan 1, 1957 2.99% Jan 1, 1956 0.37% Jan 1, 1955 -0.74% Jan 1, 1954 1.13% Jan 1, 1953 0.38% Jan 1, 1952 4.33% Jan 1, 1951 8.09% Jan 1, 1950 -2.08%
Thats "no real inflation". (Average of 1.86% per year)

Quote:
Your understanding of investments approaches insect-level. Inflation is not a consideration when investing.
Really? Who here actually believes that?

Quote:
I don't hand you a promissory for $100,000 because I think there's going to be "inflation" (snicker) -- not that you actually know what it is.
snicker back.

Quote:
I give you $100,000 because you're going to start a business or expand a business that will allow you to realize a nice chunk of revenues out of which you're going to pay me 12% interest.
What if I say "loan me 100K at 1% interest?" Would you do it? Of course not!

What if I said "loan me 100K at 12% interest" and we knew for a FACT that inflation was going to hit 20%?

uh huh.

Quote:
Apparently for you it is.
I think I and most others reading this would disagree....

Quote:
Wrong.

People's month-to-month income does not increase with "inflation."
Really? Sooo...that 2% cost of living raise that was on top of my last performance raise that increased my month to month income didn't happen? To be fair you could have argued that the increases tended to happen YEARLY not monthly instead of trying to misguide folks....

Quote:
You're the Fallacy King, so like you should be talking?
Ahhh and then name calling. Stay classy Mircea!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Conspiracy theories just don't help your credibility.

QE doesn't cause inflation because printing money isn't the trigger for inflation. The money velocity equation has several variables. Why isn't QE inflationary? Look at where that money ends up... (Hint: not in the economy)
It ends up in the markets....more specifically commodities. Prices are up. Prices up is inflation.

Quote:
Did it destroy the country?
Did I say it did?

Quote:
....businesses are hiring. Profits are up.
I noted that profits are up and why. Hiring is dragging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies