Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 02:15 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because you believe it to be a good investment? Why did people invest in G.E. years ago? The government wasn't pumping the markets full of money, people simply believed it was a company that would do well and grow.

I'll ask you since grey hasn't answered. If today we had zero inflation and you had a chance to invest in a start up like Tesla which you believed to be the future of transportation, you are saying you would sit on your money instead?

P.S. the government wasn't lying about inflation years ago either.
You aren't listening.

Why would I invest a $1 today if it is worth more by simply holding it until tomorrow?

Why would I spend $1 today if prices will be lower tomorrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Many of our fellow posters have come up with wild speculation which they call "the reason inflation is good". And most of it has no connection with inflation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You know, when your mentor Dr. Goebbels told you to repeat a lie often enough and it will become the truth... he was lying to you. You realize that, don't you?

Making it THIS obvious that you have no actual basis for your claims, will make fewer people believe you, not more.

Inflation is bad for the reason I pointed out.

The only people who think it is "good", are people who "borrow" and run their entire lives on "borrowed" money. Because inflation means they don't have to pay most of that value back.

And government is the biggest borrower. Bigger than anything that has ever existed in the history of our nation. So of course they go around chanting "inflation good, deflation bad", as you just did here. Because it's good for them... but not for normal people.
You have to prove why inflation is worse than deflation.

So far, every modern sovereign government agrees with me on the stance that deflation is worse than inflation. You can't have both. Pick one. Which is worse?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:17 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You aren't listening.

Why would I invest a $1 today if it is worth more by simply holding it until tomorrow?
I told you why. You refused to answer.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You have to prove why inflation is worse than deflation.

So far, every modern sovereign government agrees with me on the stance that deflation is worse than inflation. You can't have both. Pick one. Which is worse?
Look at the financial mess the world is in.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I told you why. You refused to answer.
You keep saying that I should take a risk on company A being worth more tomorrow. My question phrased in an easier question:

Why should I take a risk on company A when holding onto my $1 until tomorrow always yields a positive return?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Look at the financial mess the world is in.
Answer the question or don't respond. Don't deflect.

Which is better, inflation or deflation? Why will governments literally bend over backwards to prevent deflation?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
You keep saying that I should take a risk on company A being worth more tomorrow. My question phrased in an easier question:

Why should I take a risk on company A when holding onto my $1 until tomorrow always yields a positive return?
For the same reason people chase profits every day. Someone in the market making 2% sees something they believe will make them 5% they jump.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Answer the question or don't respond. Don't deflect.

Which is better, inflation or deflation? Why will governments literally bend over backwards to prevent deflation?
Neither, it is not a black and white question. There is no "answer" to this. Back to another point I made earlier that no one touched.

Televisions are far cheaper today than 20 years ago. Every year they get cheaper. Has the growth of televisions increased or decreased? Should the government intervene to prop up prices?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
For the same reason people chase profits every day. Someone in the market making 2% sees something they believe will make them 5% they jump.
Nope. There is no benefit to investing or spending money today if your $1 is worth more by just holding onto it tomorrow. It isn't hard to grasp. That is why governments avoid deflation like the plague. Minor deflation (<1%) happens occasionally, but if we decide to target a sustained deflation for 5 years, investment and consumption will come to a screeching halt. It is no longer profitable to invest money.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Nope. There is no benefit to investing or spending money today if your $1 is worth more by just holding onto it tomorrow.
Being that the markets show this to be untrue I can see I am wasting my time.

Being that you refuse to answer my questions despite demanding I answer yours shows that I am wasting my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies