Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 04:34 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,944,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No one is stopping you from doing so. The issue is that that isn't what you're actually implying. I think you're committing a deception in your claims here. I think you're looking to undercut public education to foster your own personal preferences, without regard to how your intentions would adversely affect people you don't care about.

Let's test this to see: Make your proposal, clear and comprehensive, and demonstrate without exception that no child living below 400% FPL would face any substantive risk of a lesser education. Be sure to avoid trying to to inanely suggest "separate but equal". Be sure to account for the negative impact on those you don't care about from suggestions that result in the children of people you like getting something better. Let's see how much integrity your comments, here, really have. I doubt you'll be able to come up with such a suggestion that exhibits honor and integrity with regard to these parameters I've outlined.

But heck, it you actually ever could get to that point, that would be great. I'd love to see some new ideas promulgated to make things better. But only if the rising sea lifts all boats.
Money...............is stopping.

Do you even know the dollar per student these states get? For public?

Now I sent mine to private but couldn't afford it anymore it's either grade and high school or college. I chose college and we went to a different district. You even have kids and understand what is going on in school?

My kids are so bored my son knows more about science then the teacher does in 8th grade. I sent an email to the admin who wanted to put him in detention for doing so and told her I would come and talk to her...........haven't heard back. Neither has he and still haven't heard back about any detention. These teachers are the bullies......many of em. When they get called on it they crap and run. It's pathetic. They think they can run around pushing kids. BS. I tell mine to always question if you have one............mine is smarter than them and they got mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 04:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,085,441 times
Because they are free and not everyone can afford private schools.

What's your problem with it?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:44 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Make your proposal, clear and comprehensive, and demonstrate without exception that no child living below 400% FPL would face any substantive risk of a lesser education.
I've already outlined what they wanted to do here in PA, that was specifically targeted at the worse districts which coincidentally were also the poorest districts. I thought that was great idea.

If it were up to me every student in this country would get a voucher, that voucher could be used at any school public or private Any school accepting vouchers would have to meet some kind of minimum testing standards. I would even extend these vouchers to homeschooling who would also have to meet some minimum testing standards if they were to accept the voucher. To help keep costs under control I would allow the student to bank any remaining funds for higher education.

Schools that perform well and have low costs will flourish because those are the ones that will attract students. Failing schools go bye bye.

How's that for starters? What would you do?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:52 AM

12,262 posts, read 6,423,397 times
Is it the fault of the teachers unions that the kid has no idea who his father is or that mom or dad is in jail? The problem is failing parents, not failing schools. Anyone with a room temperature IQ knows this.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:54 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,420,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Democrats are for making public schools better, not "protecting" them.

Progressives have been in charge of inner-city public schools for 60 years, it does not seem to be trending in the way you wish.

The Conservative rural public schools, out perform the inner-city schools in leaps and bounds.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:54 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Is it the fault of the teachers unions that the kid has no idea who his father is or that mom or dad is in jail? The problem is failing parents, not failing schools. Anyone with a room temperature IQ knows this.
The parents and the environment are very large part of the problem but there is also many parents and students stuck in that environment with no way out. We need more options for those that want to take advantage of them

Old 05-10-2014, 04:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,965,537 times
The problem with public schools is that we largely refuse to single out the poor ones. There are many public school systems all around the country doing a very good job and there is no reason to mess with them. That includes the federal government coming up with new programs every few years and blackmailing the good working systems to start all over with these new programs.

If they are doing a good job just leave them alone. Concentrate on the ones performing poorly. That isn't being done in many cases because these systems aren't in place to educate the students but to be a way for politicians to pay back favors.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,944,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Because they are free and not everyone can afford private schools.

What's your problem with it?
Free? It costs anywhere from eight to twenty grand or more per student to the US citizens depending on your state. It isn't free. So folks who pay for their kids to go to evil private schools pay for all the others too with tax dollars. Do you not get that?

NOTHING IS FREE.............somebody else is paying for it.

Same thing in college but then the same evil private folks have to pay for illegals.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,621,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Progressives have been in charge of inner-city public schools for 60 years, it does not seem to be trending in the way you wish.

The Conservative rural public schools, out perform the inner-city schools in leaps and bounds.
It has nothing to do with the politics of a particular area and everything to do with property values.

Funding for public schools usually comes from property taxes. In areas where property values are low, there isn't much funding and education suffers.

Schools in poor rural areas aren't doing that great either.

Here's a list of the 10 worst states as far as schools go:

http://www.examiner.com/article/educ...coring-schools

1. Mississippi
  2. Louisiana
  3. New Mexico
  4. West Virginia
  5. Alabama
  6. Alaska
  7. South Carolina
  8. South Dakota
  9. Michigan
  10. Oklahoma
Here's a list of the 25 worst performing schools in the US. Practically half of them are located in South Carolina:

http://www.dailyfinance.com/photos/w...ublic-schools/

Also on the list, those bastions of liberalness, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Arizona.

Last edited by Hesster; 05-10-2014 at 05:09 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 05:02 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,420,306 times
American education is garbage and giving money to private schools might help with money issues but it's not going to change the main flaws in the system: traditionalist, unscientific teaching & methods, and the prison atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies