Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Teach to the lowest level child in the class and when they figure it out move on.

This is just me............from what I've experienced with my kids......and the school......they only educate to the kid who is the worst in the class.

My three kids..............hell I let em stay home from school.............I let my 17 yo cut school........they all get straight A's. It's a joke.............and turning into a prison. It's too easy and boring for em. I just make the young ones read................my 17yo boy..............well........tell him to not have the cops call me. So it goes.

A friend of my wife teaches in DC and she says the same thing. She said that if your child is , non-SPED, non-FARM, average or advanced academically,they are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as public schools are concerned. The average kid is not getting an "equal and appropriate education"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Have you even looked at the performance of Baltimore's public schools? 68.5% graduation rate. Only about 2/3 even graduate high school.
But Maryland schools are still ranked one of the highest. And I wish someone would do a study on parent involvement in schools cause I'm telling you it makes all the difference. Parents have to invest in their kids education and not leave it all up to someone else. And many do that, by the way. The poorer students don't do well because of many reasons......maybe they go home to an empty house because their parents are working more than 1 job to provide for them. Who helps them with their homework. Who is there to guide them and keep them off the streets and not get involved with gangs. This all part of how they learn in schools. Teachers teach but it's up to the kids whether or not they want to learn.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
A friend of my wife teaches in DC and she says the same thing. She said that if your child is , non-SPED, non-FARM, average or advanced academically,they are at the bottom of the totem pole as far as public schools are concerned. The average kid is not getting an "equal and appropriate education"
I wouldn't be surprised that in D.C. that this is true.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,320 times
Because public education is worth protecting. You're welcome.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:

How are they not getting equal and appropriate education. Tell me how this is possible when they are all in the same classroom.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

How are they not getting equal and appropriate education. Tell me how this is possible when they are all in the same classroom.
If they teach to the lowest common denominator, the kids that could do better isn't getting an equal education to the kid in a system where they don't do that.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If they teach to the lowest common denominator, the kids that could do better isn't getting an equal education to the kid in a system where they don't do that.
I have no idea about other states but in Maryland they group them by their ability. If they are at a higher reading level then they are given books at their level and they have different assignments.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I have no idea about other states but in Maryland they group them by their ability. If they are at a higher reading level then they are given books at their level and they have different assignments.
A lot of systems do good jobs.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:56 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,646 times
Quote:
My wife's friend said that her kids were pretty much left to fend for themselves in school. Her and husband eventually enrolled them in private schools.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
It is reality. Folks can post their graphs and studies and whatever they want............until little Bobby learns how to add two numbers the rest sit around watching. My kids who get the A's are now getting in trouble because they are bored so they start screwing around. I don't condone it but don't blame them. Just tell em to respect the teachers until they don't respect you and if you screw around your gonna go talk to the principal. Well that happens and the principal is a tyrant beech. What makes folks become lunatics like this? I am close to leaving the district but heck my kids all have friends here. It will be up to them. They are old enough now to make the choice. That principal..........well VP........is friggen crazy.

Funniest thing I heard was she took my daughters friends phone............so this girl went into her office and took her phone. Gdam lunacy...........I laughed a long time after that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies