Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Maybe nothing? Umm...he said absolutely nothing that was offensive to white people at all.

And why would you compare Stiller to Chappelle? They aren't even the same kind of performers.

White people pack Chappelle's shows to hear about his observations on race, and they CAN'T WAIT to hear about his observations about white people in particular.

Why? Because he's funny, and his observations carry a modicum of truth...But he says it in a way that doesn't make them uncomfortable.

Strangely enough, blacks go to Lisa Lampanelli's shows in droves too. And they listen to her proceed to crack on them from everything to bad credit to stereotypical black male sexual prowess.

Now about your students, big deal. So they ask stupid questions. You're their teacher. You're there to disabuse them of foolish notions. They probably don't know any white people, and ignorance begets ignorance.

If white people a could query blacks about things they'd heard about blacks, they'd ask stupid ass questions that are no different than what your black students ask.

In fact, blacks know whites far better than whites know blacks....I know that much.
Pretty much. I love when other white people attempt to lecture me about black culture. I ask "have you ever lived 24/7 with a black person or black people?"
They stutter "nnnno but."
No buts to it, if you never have then you are unqualified to discuss the topic, let alone lecture others.
Well I have and by in large here comes the shocker, blacks are just about the same as anyone else. They love their families, have dreams of being something better than they are at the moment, have funny stories of growing up, love America, love cars, and like to admire a nice piece of tail when it walks by. Not a whole lot different than any white guy I know. By the way I knew quite a few black motor heads in the service as well.
I love when someone says that blacks act differently when they are with other blacks than they do when they are the only black guy with an all white group. Do you think???? Who doesn't do that? You adapt to your surroundings all people do it to a point.
I had a black kid come stay with me for a while. His dad and I were tight in the service. I made a promise to his dad when his dad was dying from cancer. I know corny and all but I keep my word. His mom had just about had enough of him. Everyone said what you're having a black kid live with you? Are you sure?
Yeah I was sure, I knew him since he was born, he was definitely black. Actually a milk chocolate color, but I don't want to split hairs. Come to find out the neighbors loved him, he is nice kid, but like all kids stubborn, know it all and anti authority. It all worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 05:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times
Quote:
A white person simply can't do Boondocks because Aaron McGruder tells his stories as an insider with an insider's perspective.

If you're white, you don't have that perspective. You don't know how blacks think and feel about intra black issues.

It's like Scorsese making Mean Streets. No black writer/director could've made that film with any authenticity because it's an Italian American film about Italian Americans in Little Italy where there are no blacks. Martin Scorsese grew up there...he knows the lingo, the food, the bars, the activities, and who's doing what to whom and with whom.

People seem to forget how important it is to report something from the inside.
Absolutely agree. I have a cleft palate. I can make jokes about it, others with a cleft palate can. If you don't have one your jokes come off as demeaning.
Boondocks makes fun of blacks from Martin Luther Kings perspective. They can, because they live it. They can make fun of the stereotypes, after all the stereotypes are about them. No white person can because white people are the ones who judge them based on stereotypes. Even if it is a white person who has the most innocent of intent, it still comes across wrong.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM

45,089 posts, read 60,158,471 times
Quote:
Maybe nothing? Umm...he said absolutely nothing that was offensive to white people at all.

And why would you compare Stiller to Chappelle? They aren't even the same kind of performers.

White people pack Chappelle's shows to hear about his observations on race, and they CAN'T WAIT to hear about his observations about white people in particular.

Why? Because he's funny, and his observations carry a modicum of truth...But he says it in a way that doesn't make them uncomfortable.

Strangely enough, blacks go to Lisa Lampanelli's shows in droves too. And they listen to her proceed to crack on them from everything to bad credit to stereotypical black male sexual prowess.

Now about your students, big deal. So they ask stupid questions. You're their teacher. You're there to disabuse them of foolish notions. They probably don't know any white people, and ignorance begets ignorance.

If white people a could query blacks about things they'd heard about blacks, they'd ask stupid ass questions that are no different than what your black students ask.

In fact, blacks know whites far better than whites know blacks....I know that much.
You brought Stiller into it, I could have used Drew Carey as a stand up comedian. So insert his name.

What you are missing is that some humor is off limits for some performers. Which goes back to what Brooks said.

Read his entire interview. He used Richard Pryor as cover. Remember his album Bicentennial ******?

Or as Kanye West said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people".

Have you ever heard about The Greaseman (Doug Tracht)? A radio shock jock in this area who followed Howard Stern. White guy, offensive racial humor.

Doug Tracht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Pretty accurate accounting.

As I said, you and I wont reach a middle ground on this one.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You brought Stiller into it, I could have used Drew Carey as a stand up comedian. So insert his name.

What you are missing is that some humor is off limits for some performers. Which goes back to what Brooks said.

Read his entire interview. He used Richard Pryor as cover. Remember his album Bicentennial ******?

Or as Kanye West said, "George Bush doesn't care about black people".

Have you ever heard about The Greaseman (Doug Tracht)? A radio shock jock in this area who followed Howard Stern. White guy, offensive racial humor.

Doug Tracht - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Pretty accurate accounting.

As I said, you and I wont reach a middle ground on this one.
I brought Stiller into it in reference to Tropic Thunder...a blatantly politically incorrect film that was produced and directed by him. Did you notice Robert Downey Jr's character in that film?

Does that strike you as politically correct?

What humor is off limits for certain performers?

What you're actually trying to say is that whites can't put down blacks in Comedy.

And again...if that's the case, then explain Lisa Lampanelli.

BTW...I just can't help but wonder why it's so important that blacks be insulted. I mean, I find some racial humor about blacks to be quite funny, but it's as if some of you are really angry that we're not picked on a lot more than we are. Very strange.

I mean, it's not as if you're any freer to insult Jews, Asians, Gays or Hispanics, but this whole thread is about how you can't do it to blacks...that's very odd.

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 05-11-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 PM

33,507 posts, read 18,059,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I cannot even imagine what it would be like to go through life worrying about being a "microaggresor".

While I do not go out of my way to offend people, I am certainly not going to become PC, much less worry about this liberal wackos theory.
I learned alot from the fellow.. he spoke very good english and was easy to understand.....

Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 PM

33,507 posts, read 18,059,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It is true; we have slowly but surely chipped away at freedom of expression. Blazing Saddles, and many other works of art, would today be denounced as "microaggresions" by liberals.

Microaggressions in Everyday Life - YouTube
And he spoke with intelligence too.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:29 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,179,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
"They can't make that movie today because everybody's so politically correct. You know, the NAACP would stop a great movie that would do such a great service to black people because of the N-word," says Brooks. "You've got to really examine these things and see what's right and what's wrong. Politically correct is absolutely wrong. Because it inhibits the freedom of thought. I'm so lucky that they weren't so strong then and that the people that let things happen on the screen weren't so powerful then. I was very lucky." Mel Brooks
Not too many blaxploitation films made any longer either. Times change.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,884,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've always wondered if Rock Ridge ever had any of the Irish move to it.
Haha, me too. Blazing Saddles was a great movie but honestly tamer than a lot of stuff out today. Family Guy often has crude and awkward race jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw

Old 05-12-2014, 05:41 AM

45,089 posts, read 60,158,471 times
Quote:
I brought Stiller into it in reference to Tropic Thunder...a blatantly politically incorrect film that was produced and directed by him. Did you notice Robert Downey Jr's character in that film?
Never saw the movie.

Does that strike you as politically correct?
See above.
What humor is off limits for certain performers?

What you're actually trying to say is that whites can't put down blacks in Comedy.
Mostly.
And again...if that's the case, then explain Lisa Lampanelli.
Never heard of her until now.

BTW...I just can't help but wonder why it's so important that blacks be insulted. I mean, I find some racial humor about blacks to be quite funny, but it's as if some of you are really angry that we're not picked on a lot more than we are. Very strange.
What do I have to be angry about.

I mean, it's not as if you're any freer to insult Jews, Asians, Gays or Hispanics, but this whole thread is about how you can't do it to blacks...that's very odd.
I may be reading more into Brooks' interview than is there but I don't think so. But, then again, others are minimizing it.

Maybe I'm over sensitized in this particular Forum to racial connotations. You've seen the threads where people have been accused of coming one or another other Forums to spread racial discontent. I'm waiting for that to be leveled at me because of our interchange here.

Go to the Suburban Maryland section and see how people dance around the issue of race as it deals with Prince George's County, which is a majority/minority jurisdiction. The wealthiest and best educated majority Black one in the US. It also has the 2nd worst school system in the State (as a note it was the 2nd worst when it was majority White, too).

Old 05-12-2014, 05:49 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
"They can't make that movie today because everybody's so politically correct. You know, the NAACP would stop a great movie that would do such a great service to black people because of the N-word," says Brooks. "You've got to really examine these things and see what's right and what's wrong. Politically correct is absolutely wrong. Because it inhibits the freedom of thought. I'm so lucky that they weren't so strong then and that the people that let things happen on the screen weren't so powerful then. I was very lucky." Mel Brooks
South park and Family guy wouldn't be on the air if this was true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies