Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:07 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,775,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
"All in the Family" couldn't be made either. Archie Bunkers blatant racism and sexism could never be expressed, even when denounced by the "meathead." I don't know what is going on, but for some reason, popular culture: music, TV and movies seems to have gone into the toilet. They just don't seem to be able to produce the quality of programming that was available before about 1990. Since then its just seemed to go to hell in a a hand basket. The last network comedy that really caught on that was pretty good was "Seinfeld". Now TV is mostly just reality shows and if a movie isn't an animated flick or about a superhero, most of them just don't do very well.

Last movie I saw was "Noah" what a POS I walked out. It just go dumber and dumber.
TV's golden age started around 2001 or so.
The difference is you're old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 PM

31,934 posts, read 14,933,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
!2 Years A Slave was made even more lately, and was more blatantly racist than either!

But I agree with Mel. I don't think a comedy like Blazing Saddles could be made today. Racism is too serious now to ever succeed in a comedy. Even when it was ridiculed in Blazing Saddles. Mel is an equal opportunity ridiculer, and Blazing Saddles picked on rednecks, cowboys, and Jews too, all done hilariously. He even picked on horses.
You can't compare the 2. 12 years a slave was not racist, it was the truth. Blazing Saddles was a satire.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:13 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
"All in the Family" couldn't be made either. Archie Bunkers blatant racism and sexism could never be expressed, even when denounced by the "meathead." I don't know what is going on, but for some reason, popular culture: music, TV and movies seems to have gone into the toilet. They just don't seem to be able to produce the quality of programming that was available before about 1990. Since then its just seemed to go to hell in a a hand basket. The last network comedy that really caught on that was pretty good was "Seinfeld". Now TV is mostly just reality shows and if a movie isn't an animated flick or about a superhero, most of them just don't do very well.

[MOD CUT/off topic]
Why can't people understand that All In The Family was a PERIOD PIECE! It doesn't translate into anything relevant to 2014. The confluence of events taking place in THAT period is what made that show so special.

So of course it can't be made today. It would make no sense.

Granted, All In The Family is the greatest show in television history as far as I'm concerned. Best written, best ensemble cast, excellent production, and their ability to sustain that excellence over that much time still hasn't been matched IMO.

It still holds up remarkably well 40+ years later. But it belongs in the period that it was made in.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-12-2014 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 05-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You can't compare the 2. 12 years a slave was not racist, it was the truth. Blazing Saddles was a satire.
Fair enough.

But Django Unchained sure as heck wasn't a true story. And the racism in it was remarkable beyond anything in Blazing Saddles.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fair enough.

But Django Unchained sure as heck wasn't a true story. And the racism in it was remarkable beyond anything in Blazing Saddles.
How do you know that it wasn't.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How do you know that it wasn't.
Is that even a serious question?

Did you see the movie?

Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
I believe Seth MacFarlane has a raunchy western movie coming out that will be a comedy that is offensive to everyone. I could see Blazing Saddles coming out now, but don't give the movie executives any ideas or they will try and do another remake.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I believe Seth MacFarlane has a raunchy western movie coming out that will be a comedy that is offensive to everyone. I could see Blazing Saddles coming out now, but don't give the movie executives any ideas or they will try and do another remake.
And my understanding is that it's thick with racial and ethnic humor.

But that must be a lie because it can't possibly get made today.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM

[quote=desertdetroiter;34747979]Is that even a serious question?

Did you see the movie?[/QUOTE]

No, but my relatives in the south thought it was pretty accurate.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:02 AM

[quote=natalie469;34748075]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Is that even a serious question?

Did you see the movie?[/QUOTE]

No, but my relatives in the south thought it was pretty accurate.
They must also have a hard time distinguishing fact from fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies