Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on smoking bans?
For smoking bans 114 66.28%
Against smoking bans 41 23.84%
No opinion either way 17 9.88%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:17 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Smoking in a private business only hurts the smoker, and those who have willingly chosen to expose themselves to that environment.... If someone walks in to a business that allows smoking, they have chosen to harm themselves, no one is being forced.

If you don't want to be around a bunch of people who smoke, why not find a place that doesn't allow smoking instead of forcing your will on everyone else?
So you have to go somewhere else because someone is doing something that could harm you? That does not sound right.Why do smokers feel they have to light up in a restaurant there are plenty of other places to smoke seems they are just being selfish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
I'm all for smoking bans.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:04 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
So business owners having the right to decide whether they allow smoking or not = good. Business owners having the right to decide whether they allow guns or not = bad.
No. Both should be controlled by the business owner. They set the rules and then the customers decide if they want to go to that business.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So you have to go somewhere else because someone is doing something that could harm you? That does not sound right.Why do smokers feel they have to light up in a restaurant there are plenty of other places to smoke seems they are just being selfish.
It's not about smokers rights. It's about the rights of a business owner to establish rules for his business.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not about smokers rights. It's about the rights of a business owner to establish rules for his business.
That right is not absolute.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 PM

13 posts, read 16,638 times
Default Smoking on the way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
A lot of the country (USA) is covered by a smoking ban. According to this http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/mediaordlist.pdf article, almost 82% of America is now covered by a smoking ban. I'm in my early 30's, and i can slightly remember being asked smoking/non-smoking. A few times, I've actually had to leave because the "non-smoking" section in a sense is a joke. The smoke does not know it can't cross this invisible line separating the two sections. My dining experience was really unpleasant.

Luckily, now all the states i have lived in passed bans around 10 years ago. (CT, MA and most currently we live in FL) However, we are looking to move back to CT, and since we need to drive separately, and to enjoy the trip up, we decided to stop 2 times, break up the trip, sight see, etc. Which places us for the night in SC, and the state of SC still does not have a smoking ban. I did find a city that has a smoking ban, so I know where we will be stopping in that area so when we go out to dinner we can enjoy it more. Something I haven't had to worry about in 10 years!

What are your thoughts on smoking bans? For it? Against it? I'm for it 100%. A smoker can still go to a place that doesn't allow smoking, they can just step outside. However,a non-smoker might not be able to establish a place that allows smoking at all for various health reasons.
A few of my smoking friends including my sister have switched to e- cigs. They don't stink and they say they feel so much better ! I think in 20 years nobody will be smoking even these ( so unnatural and dumb ) !

Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
A lot of the country (USA) is covered by a smoking ban. According to this http://www.no-smoke.org/pdf/mediaordlist.pdf article, almost 82% of America is now covered by a smoking ban. I'm in my early 30's, and i can slightly remember being asked smoking/non-smoking. A few times, I've actually had to leave because the "non-smoking" section in a sense is a joke. The smoke does not know it can't cross this invisible line separating the two sections. My dining experience was really unpleasant.

Luckily, now all the states i have lived in passed bans around 10 years ago. (CT, MA and most currently we live in FL) However, we are looking to move back to CT, and since we need to drive separately, and to enjoy the trip up, we decided to stop 2 times, break up the trip, sight see, etc. Which places us for the night in SC, and the state of SC still does not have a smoking ban. I did find a city that has a smoking ban, so I know where we will be stopping in that area so when we go out to dinner we can enjoy it more. Something I haven't had to worry about in 10 years!

What are your thoughts on smoking bans? For it? Against it? I'm for it 100%. A smoker can still go to a place that doesn't allow smoking, they can just step outside. However,a non-smoker might not be able to establish a place that allows smoking at all for various health reasons.

Rural America is the last bastion for smokers waiting for their food to arrive.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Rural America is the last bastion for smokers waiting for their food to arrive.
All states have rural areas. 33 +/- states ban smoking in restaurants.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't smoke but I voted "Against smoking bans" because I don't like the government interfering in my life and banning any thing that I may like to do..

Doesn't make a sense, the government has been interfering with our lives since the 20',recently NSA, going to wars (Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria) without consulting with the Congress or the people, abortion, gun laws and in so many other instances.
I'm for the ban anyway, just find it in contradiction with marijuana legalization in some states

Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Business rule also should not be discriminatory against the other side who disagree, the business rule has to be fair to everybody, if you can't be fair to one side then offer alternative or financial compensation (discounted meal and drinks or Saturday special )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies