Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
It enforces the point.

For every example of heteros getting butthurt over homosexuals being "in your face", examples of heterosexuality putting it "in your face" can be found.

It's hypocritical at best, unless, as you said earlier, you are against all "in your faceism", which in that case is quite fine.
Wrong it doesn't enforce the point because of the context in which the Phallic Cowgirl picture was presented.

Now had hammer directed the picture at the OP stating that the OP's argument was idiotic and here is a picture of a naked women riding a giant penis at a biker rally that is what in your face sexuality is all about then it would have enforced the point that the OP's premise is stupid.

hammer was just trying to one up me because I posted a homo in your face vid instead of a hetero one same with the other poster. It had nothing to do with the OP.

Context is everything in the world of anonymous forum posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 12:12 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
And to this I say.......

That's not a fair argument to make.

There are obviously examples that exist of gay people "shoving their sexuality in your face." That's not the point.

The point is that if a straight people do something that is not considered "shoving their sexuality in your face," you cannot claim that gay people are doing so if they do exactly the same thing. But that's what happens all too frequently.

One time, I was out to lunch with some friends, and a gay male couple holding hands walked by outside. Everybody stopped, stared, and talked about it for a couple of minutes. They weren't judgmental about it or anything, but I'm sure that hundreds of straight couples have done that without being noticed.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:16 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
No, your example is not what we are referring to. What we mean by people shoving it around is the constant media praise for it, or how gays are so in your face about their gayness. It's all getting annoying.

You are free to be gay, and I don't judge people who are because only God can do that. We are also free to disagree with it. But keep your sex life where it belongs, in the privacy of your own bedroom.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
No, your example is not what we are referring to. What we mean by people shoving it around is the constant media praise for it, or how gays are so in your face about their gayness. It's all getting annoying.

You are free to be gay, and I don't judge people who are because only God can do that. We are also free to disagree with it. But keep your sex life where it belongs, in the privacy of your own bedroom.
The majority of Entertainment Tonight stories are about hetro 'celebrities' sex lives.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Wrong it doesn't enforce the point because of the context in which the Phallic Cowgirl picture was presented.

Now had hammer directed the picture at the OP stating that the OP's argument was idiotic and here is a picture of a naked women riding a giant penis at a biker rally that is what in your face sexuality is all about then it would have enforced the point that the OP's premise is stupid.
What???

My picture was related to your "argument" (if you can call posing a youtube video an argument) - not the OP's argument.

The OP's argument is dead on accurate. The best proof of this was the position right-wingers took in the Don't Ask Don't Tell debate.

They said, in a nutshell: "If gays want to serve in the military, they should simply stay in the closet and not let us know they're gay. Why do gays have to shove their sexuality in our faces by letting us know they have sex with other men?"

Yet they didn't equate heterosexuals publicizing their sexuality as shoving sexuality in our faces by letting us know they have sex with women. This is the EXACT hypocrisy the OP describes as undercutting and exposing the ridiculousness of the "shoving their sexuality in your face" argument.

You then went off on a side tangent and addressed a completely different aspect of the "showing their sexuality in your face" argument than what the OP was addressing. You posted a video of a gay pride parade, presumably in an attempt to argue that gays - as a cultural group - do in fact shove their sexuality in everybody's face. I simply countered your argument by saying straight people - as a cultural group - do the same thing and do so in more more vulgar and explicit ways.

That's the context of my post. My post wouldn't make sense as a response to the OP since it didn't address the argument the OP was making.

You should really consider the context of the conversation before posting.

Last edited by hammertime33; 05-11-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 PM

542 posts, read 691,599 times
Quote:
But the whole argument here is that they're not being "in your face" about their sexuality; they're just doing what everyone else does. People who don't like homosexuality, or are uncomfortable with it, or are outright hateful, will just notice it more and think. Like a black family moving into an historically white neighborhood. Or in a culture that still has problem with sexism, on studied showed that men tend to think women dominate a classroom conversation when in fact the women are speaking only 50% of the time.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe you can provide a real life example?
He just did

Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
That's not a fair argument to make.

There are obviously examples that exist of gay people "shoving their sexuality in your face." That's not the point.

The point is that if a straight people do something that is not considered "shoving their sexuality in your face," you cannot claim that gay people are doing so if they do exactly the same thing. But that's what happens all too frequently.

One time, I was out to lunch with some friends, and a gay male couple holding hands walked by outside. Everybody stopped, stared, and talked about it for a couple of minutes. They weren't judgmental about it or anything, but I'm sure that hundreds of straight couples have done that without being noticed.
My post is fair and exactly on point with regards to your "Original" post and thread title.

Cue the above Phallic Girl picture or the Spring Break vid. Those are examples of in your face sexuality as well. Unfortunately those posters decided to attack my example instead of your post which only subverts their intentions.

In your face is all about a matter of degrees. Your examples while substansive with regards to cultural mores do not rise to the level of "in your face" arguments.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:44 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad
My post is fair and exactly on point with regards to your "Original" post and thread title.

Cue the above Phallic Girl picture or the Spring Break vid. Those are examples of in your face sexuality as well. Unfortunately those posters decided to attack my example instead of your post which only subverts their intentions.

In your face is all about a matter of degrees. Your examples while substansive with regards to cultural mores do not rise to the level of "in your face" arguments.
Okay, so if I got a boyfriend, and told you mundane details about my [mostly] boring life like "we ate angel-hair pasta with roasted pepper and garlic marinara sauce last night," it doesn't matter to you?

Because there's no way I'm talking about my "bedroom" activities. That stuff is gross for others to hear.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Straights shove their sexuality in your face just as much as gays do. There are just a lot more straights so it is more prevalent.

I admit they all have the constitutional right to do so, but personally I wish they would all quit doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies