Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 AM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Should they report every time they're invited to someone else's house to eat, too? Every time someone treats them at a restaurant?
Your post clearly shows your confusion.

TAXPAYERS are forced to pay twice when kids get free meals at school and their parents still get food stamps for those meals. That's not the case when someone else VOLUNTARILY treats them to a meal.

The boneheaded comments in this thread are stunning. Do people really have no grasp of what's going on with free school meals and food stamps double-dipping?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,219,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Your post clearly shows your confusion.

TAXPAYERS are forced to pay twice when kids get free meals at school and their parents still get food stamps for those meals. That's not the case when someone else VOLUNTARILY treats them to a meal.

The boneheaded comments in this thread are stunning. Do people really have no grasp of what's going on with free school meals and food stamps double-dipping?
There were quite a few of us yesterday who actually can grasp this fact but we gave up the wasted effort of trying to explain. Not worth the aggravation.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,126,637 times
Everyone deserves food.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
yeah god forbid the property taxes i pay go to feed my children at school!
I rather they go to some Israeli commando.
Or some corporation.......

Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..and many of those students don't even live in the US.
They cross the bridge every morning from Mexico to go to school in El Paso.
Border Patrol down there even has a special lane for students from 7am-9am.

We're now using our tax money to feed Mexican citizens folks.
The school buses even bring them back to the border when school is over.

Children cross Mexican border to receive a U.S. education - The Washington Post
The kids are U.S. Citizens.........

Old 05-14-2014, 06:19 AM

11,533 posts, read 5,594,589 times
That's why I seldom post - it's a vicious back and forth cycle. Everything is taken out of context and twisted until the libs think they have the upper hand with the right response only to look like - well you know. It's as if people never survived before gov't intervention. Statements about jobs being sent overseas ( thank you Bill Clinton for Nafta ), the destruction of unions (who themselves have caused the destruction of businesses by demanding too much for too little in return and veering off course as to why they were actually created) and the greedy corporate world, which of course their Democrat representatives have no stake in (LOL) are so ridiculous and show how out of touch with reality these people are.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,267,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with you and yet you never provide proof of your soapbox accusations.

Fantasy ? I guess you just pass over any articles that uncover possible fraud.

Airline tickets to Hawaii cost $2000.

FOX 7 Investigates: Out-of-state food stamps
I have provided ample links that substantiate the points I have made in this thread.

And? What does that have to do with anything? Again, the fraud rate for food stamp usage is extremely low.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Which students PAY for the meal, and which DON'T pay? It's NOT free for all. It's only free for SOME. Those are the facts you're ignoring.

And for the kids who get free meals at school? Their parents' food stamp benefits are NOT reduced accordingly to offset the additional taxpayer expense.
Oh my, this program has NOTHING to do with food stamps.

NONE of those students have to pay for that meal. It is free to all students who participate in after school activities. You are just making stuff up.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
If so, why do so many students have to pay for their meals, and are overcharged for what they get, while food stamp kids get free school meals? If school meals are government-subsidized for all shouldn't they ALL be getting their school meals for free?

Apparently, you don't remember this fiasco:

School Tossed Kids’ Lunches in Trash Over Money Owed - ABC News

If all schoolchildren's meals were really subsidized, as you so foolishly continue to claim , that wouldn't have happened. No one would have "owed" anything and all kids would have been able to eat their school meals.

Why not? Insulated lunch bags/boxes are cheap or even donated, and reusable freeze packs provide low-cost refrigeration.

You're just FULL of excuses. Is it any wonder why people who think like that are perpetually in self-defeatist mode and are doomed to a lifetime of struggle? They just can't ever do anything to provide for themselves. They're trapped in perpetually beholden and oppressed mode.
You really don't get it. It doesn't matter if those students are paying for their meals.

The reality is that the COST of those meals are cheaper because the government is subsidizing those lunches. So re asking an answered question makes no sense to me.

The school in its handbook says this, "Through participation in the subsidized National School Lunch and Special Milk Programs, it is possible for hot lunches and milk to be served at a reasonable cost to students.

http://sandburg.d230.org/assets/2/24...t_Handbook.pdf

Please what excuses have I made about anything. There is no need for excuses. The facts are there for any one who cares to know them.

The fact is that program that started this whine fest has nothing to do with food stamps. That is an objective fact. So connecting the two is irrational. It has nothing to do with students not eating dinner at home. Since the vast majority of students don't participate in extracurricular activities and even those students that do participate only do so usually once or twice a week. So the outrage that parents aren't feeding their children dinner is wrong.

Then finally this outrage over the food stamp program in conjunction with free and reduced lunches, makes no sense since the federal government basically subsidizes lunches in probably 95% of all schools, which means all students whether they pay for their lunches or don't are being subsidized by the federal government on two fronts.

The federal government reimburses schools who participate in this program for the meals that all students eat. Whether they pay or not, the federal government returns to the schools the cost of those lunches.

And because the federal government is subsidizing these meals, the meals are cheaper then they would be without the government subsidizing the lunches.

Last edited by Iamme73; 05-14-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 AM

33,465 posts, read 17,974,825 times
The government just wants to keep giving hand outs.. We didn't have hand outs when I was young and very poor... it was peanut butter and jelly or apple butter sandwiches to eat.. never had a free lunch.

In high school I bought a sandwich and small milk for a quarter and both of my parents worked to make ends meet. I got a job at fifteen and made extra money . I worked summers in a factory for money. We worked for what little we had. I had white privilege... ha ha... to work in a sweat factory.

Now the so called poor are not poor. That is a laugh. They live good..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.