Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
When was the last time government voluntarily relinquished power? 50 years after the Voting Rights Act was passed, we finally had part of it struck down since after all those decades not a single violation of that article had ever happened and liberals still complained that we were going to back to Jim Crow over it. When the income tax was passed it was never supposed to go above 6%. How'd that work out? The constitution spells out what laws are federal and what laws are state. So what does the federal government do? It withholds state funding unless the state goes ahead and passes the laws the federal government wants it to.

It's not a big mystery why we are skeptical of it. Once the government gets the power to deal with the climate change crisis, even if the crisis never comes to pass, the government will retain that power forever. Sorta like how the Patriot Act simply gets reauthorized over and over and over again. It was supposed to be temporary to deal with 9/11. Well that's going on 15 years ago now and yet the Patriot Act is still here alive and well and violating our constitutional rights against a speedy trial and search & seizure.
So you're skeptical of something that that has to do with climate simply because the federal government may get more power? How does that make any sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Do you have the ability to provide any proof, that has not been derived by computer models?
I'm asking you. WHY do conservatives deny climate change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Mainly because the proposals to limit CO2 emissions is basically cap and trade which will only push more jobs to the developing world with lower pollution standards than our own. Unless China and India sign on any environmental treaty is worthless.

Better build dikes.
Ok, so this is sort of getting to my original question. I can see why conservatives would be against current proposals to alleviate climate change. And I actually think your points (especially regarding India and China) are quite valid.

HOWEVER! Just because the proposals may not be ideal, why do conservatives continue to try and DENY something that something like 97% of the people that actually study it agree on? This is what I'm trying to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I'll chime in. It has been changing since day 1. Archeology can back that up.

Man-made? That is preposterous. The earth would shed any sign of our existence in short time. We can't kill cockroaches - how can we kill a planet?

I don't undersand the disdain for science aspect - those who push the climate change agenda skew the science to suit their narrative. As for people making money off AGW...how about AL Gore?
So you're an expert on climatology? Why should I take your word for it instead of the 10,000+ scientists that have studied this over the past 50 years?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
. If climate change turns out to be wrong, and we (as a society) had to endure some extra economic hardship isn't that worth it if climate change turns out to be a very real with disastrous consequences?
This is why.

We can't just ignore such insanity.

Contradict yourself much?

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Why are conservatives so rabidly against climate change?

Short answer: because they're in the pocket of the fossil fuel industry.

Similar to how they were controlled by the tobacco lobby a couple of decades back.

And like then, they understand that they can't stand in opposition to reality forever, so their task is to create doubt in the public in order to keep favorable regulations for their owners in place as long as possible.

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Climate's will change whether you are for it or not so there is no need to be concerned whether someone is against it or not.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
I honestly don't understand why. If climate change turns out to be wrong, and we (as a society) had to endure some extra economic hardship isn't that worth it if climate change turns out to be a very real with disastrous consequences?

I mean the only reason why I can imagine it is because the congressmen are simply bought by the Oil & Gas industry and honestly just don't care about what the evidence has to say.
I'm not conservative, really, but I'm all for climate change. Why wouldn't I be for climate change any less than I would be for the earth revolving around the sun or spinning on its axis?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:

I'm asking you. WHY do conservatives deny climate change?

Why should I believe what you say or anyone else based on a computer model....Please show me anything that is written...not by a computer model, within the last 1,000,000 years that can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there is actual man made climate change....

Go ahead, I will wait....

BTW, I believe that there is climate change, just not the break neck speed that the left continues to pursue....

Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I'm against "climate change" because the theory is mathematically and logically false, which has been pointed out and proven right here on CD time and time again but ignored.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
I honestly don't understand why. If climate change turns out to be wrong, and we (as a society) had to endure some extra economic hardship isn't that worth it if climate change turns out to be a very real with disastrous consequences?

I mean the only reason why I can imagine it is because the congressmen are simply bought by the Oil & Gas industry and honestly just don't care about what the evidence has to say.
Have you considered that there are powerful interests that benefit from climate change paranoia?

The evidence is not overwhelming at all - yet so many in government say it is.

I am skeptical that it the climate change is man made. I don't find the correlation to CO2 compelling and convincing for a gas that represents 0.04% of the atmosphere. It is that simple for me.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm against "climate change" because the theory is mathematically and logically false, which has been pointed out and proven right here on CD time and time again but ignored.
In other words, you like it when people tell you what you want to hear.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
I honestly don't understand why.
It's mostly because of stupidity and a propensity to believe propaganda. They're just born followers who are unable to understand, much less follow, actual reasoned scientific discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies