Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the USA is the most exceptional country in history?
YES 62 39.74%
NO 90 57.69%
Not Sure - and why? 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,370,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd be willing to bet that every "NO" vote in the poll came from a liberal on this forum. No question about it.
Nope. I'm almost an extremist on some conservative issues and I voted no. I would say America before 1965 was probably, arguably anyway, one of the most exceptional countries in history. After that period however I think this country has gone downhill, and double that in the last couple decades.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:40 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,771,326 times
Absolutely not and the idea is ridiculous.

The US is yet another imperialist nation in a long line of imperialist nations dating back to before Rome. The 'exceptional' period of its global 'reign' was due only to the fact that Europe and Asia were set back decades by WWII, the US was untouched and had the resources at the time to surpass the other nations in terms of its output. After that brief period of global dominance, the decline began and destruction was temporarily avoided by the globalized free market bs that is now destroying it all over again.

The reason Americans think its exceptional is because they are shortsighted or brainwashed and have no concept of history.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,608,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Absolutely not and the idea is ridiculous.

The US is yet another imperialist nation in a long line of imperialist nations dating back to before Rome.

compared to rome, the united states is hardly an "imperial nation."

Old 05-13-2014, 12:16 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,742,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Art View Post
Not until we build something that will stand the test of time Like pyramids.
The Pyramids were built by SLAVES.

And they remained there because the land was so run-down and useless, nobody else wanted it.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,742,332 times
I haven't examined every other country on Earth.

But I checked YES since, despite its mistake and failures, I'm pretty sure the United States accomplished more overall advance in prosperity and safety for more people, than any other country.

If there's one I've missed that has accomplished more, I'd like to hear about it.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:19 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,523,261 times
I don't think we need to be exceptional. It's overrated. But what we need is to quit apologizing. Like somehow we need to justify that America needs to be exceptional to deserve what other countries rightfully take for granted. ...

America is definitely exceptional in our recommended daily intake of horsepuckey. To Finns, Germans, Brazilians or Japanese or other sensible folk, their countries don’t have to be special to anybody except themselves. They need not be proposition nations, nor cities upon a hill redeeming the world, nor the rightful destinations of other countries’ huddled masses, nor the scourges of wrongdoing in the Levant. Instead, they are the past, present, and future homes of their own people. So their responsibility is to be good stewards for their heirs.

In contrast, the vague grandiosity of the ideology of American exceptionalism makes Americans easier to manipulate with contrived narratives. And nobody loves contrived narratives like the D's and R's that make up our political class.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM

33,495 posts, read 36,983,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Pyramids were built by SLAVES.

And they remained there because the land was so run-down and useless, nobody else wanted it.
Actually that is incorrect, the pyramids were not built by slaves.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,193,520 times
You guy have to ask yourself how American will be remember in 1,000 years.
Space race, the internet,etc

Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 PM

510 posts, read 605,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't see anyone else with things on the moon and Mars.
Um, the Chinese have a rover on the moon, and the European Space Agency has landed a probe on Mars (although they immediately lost contact with it :-P) as has the USSR.

Last edited by strad; 05-13-2014 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,771,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
compared to rome, the united states is hardly an "imperial nation."
The US has military bases all around the globe, regularly sets up puppet governments that act in their own interests, American companies trade in weapons and infrastructure 'in exchange' for resources, the businesses exploit slave labor in foreign countries and have their fingers in many pies on a global scale, they are extremely militaristic, they have a hugely commercial culture, they have a hedonistic consumerist society, they allow religious superstition to influence their politics, and the leader has a huge influence on global policy through NATO and the UN.

I would say that the US is very very imperialistic and not at all unlike Rome... they're basically the tail end of the British Empire, prosperous due to a geographical advantage.

But in another 20 years, it will definitely be on a decline... the culture is too paranoid, not disciplined enough and capitalism is a runaway train that's headed for the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies