Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe what our media tells us?
Yes 1 1.56%
Some of it 36 56.25%
No 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times

Advertisements

Although certain images are worth watching, the print media is better than the visual on TV. Newspapers can put much more info into a column than TV in a minute. Newspapers also don't worry about having commercial breaks. TV news also relies too heavily on attractive people presenting the news and stunning graphics and other effects to attract attention.
It's also better to check up on certain news items from various sources, then to use the brain and see what is consistent.
Fox News reports only what the Bush administration, corporate America, Israel, and the religious want us to know.
The label "liberal media" is often slapped on anything which doesn't agree with the president's policies, or tries to have a look behind the talking masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM

101 posts, read 329,801 times
All forms of media are subjective and biased and should be questioned because of that. To me, it is best to follow different sources instead of rely on just one. It's up to the viewers to filter out the BS and look for the good stuff, imo.

I agree with the above post, btw, regarding print media over tv. Well said!

Last edited by thisbeatishot; 12-12-2007 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: adding to post

Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Truly the most amusing thing I have read in days....

Next you will say Limbaugh is a news source...heh! Still chuckling.
I am glad you found that amusing as it wasn't meant to be. No, I would not next say that Rush Limbaugh is a good news source...but neither are his left wing counterparts. Funny how you "thought" that was what I would say next.

We all have our opinions and this forum is the place to state the, so kindly show respect for the opinions of others.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
I love how the network of Lou Dobbs, Wolf Blitzer and Paula Zahn is the liberal equivolent of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, and John Gibson.

That says a lot about why our media is the way it is. Everyone wants to cast two sides as opposing equals, even when reality says otherwise.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the kick in the head for me is everytime, i mean everytime we have a stockmarket crash two well dressed cutie announcers will get on the air and say --- not to worry these things are a cycle, just hold what you got and the market will rebalance.
they were probably saying stuff like that in Pompeii just b4.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
There used to be a saying how accurate who knows.
Journalists report the news not create it.
If that was ever a guiding principle then it has been lost. Journalist have their own agenda's. Some lean hard left some right and the way they report an event reflects their bias. Then we all know that bad news sells more than good news. Good news very seldom if ever will make the front page. We all know that the press loves to bash on the Military and take delight when ever it screws something up. This is the reality of the media.
I was on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower in the early 1980's. The media reported us to be off the coast of Libya trying to antagonize Mohmar Kwadafi.
Reality is we were off the coast of England. Only 4,000 miles away or so. That is the media in a nut shell.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Although certain images are worth watching, the print media is better than the visual on TV. Newspapers can put much more info into a column than TV in a minute. Newspapers also don't worry about having commercial breaks. TV news also relies too heavily on attractive people presenting the news and stunning graphics and other effects to attract attention.
It's also better to check up on certain news items from various sources, then to use the brain and see what is consistent.
Fox News reports only what the Bush administration, corporate America, Israel, and the religious want us to know.
The label "liberal media" is often slapped on anything which doesn't agree with the president's policies, or tries to have a look behind the talking masks.
You are absolutely right.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I am glad you found that amusing as it wasn't meant to be. No, I would not next say that Rush Limbaugh is a good news source...but neither are his left wing counterparts. Funny how you "thought" that was what I would say next.

We all have our opinions and this forum is the place to state the, so kindly show respect for the opinions of others.
I'm sorry Mikey, but Fox is notoriously right wing, period.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Depends which media outlet. The "New" Media are definitely more trustworthy, but even there you've gotta be careful. For example, anyone can post anything on the Internet. But generally...talk radio, various websites, and (for the most part...) Fox News are great!

The "Old" Media are mostly full of Leftwing propaganda and BS. The New York Times, Washington Post, Newsreek, Time, and the whole indistinguishable TV behemoth I call ABCNNBCBS...all total crap!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:13 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
the kick in the head for me is everytime, i mean everytime we have a stockmarket crash two well dressed cutie announcers will get on the air and say --- not to worry these things are a cycle, just hold what you got and the market will rebalance.
they were probably saying stuff like that in Pompeii just b4.
eye candy trumps joe btfsplk every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies