Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

In 2008, candidate Barack Obama campaigned against the practice of earmarks. Earmarks are provisions in spending bills to fund specific projects in specific districts. It was one of the downfalls of the years under W Bush w/ Speaker Dennis Hastert (R, IL). The poster child was the 'bridge to nowhere' in Alaska. It was a $400 million bridge that would have connected to an island with 50 part time residents.

In March 2009, Pres. Barack Obama was presented with a spending bill from the D-controlled Congress containing 8,570 earmarks. Pres. Obama threatened a veto. in line w/ campaign promises. Harry Reid told him to sign the bill. On March 11, Obama signed, while saying that the earmark-laden bill must signal an "end to the old way of doing business." Much like the alcoholic who says, I'm going to take this one last drink so that I can start the process of quitting drinking.

In Nov 2010, Obama finally got his wish(???), as Republicans took back the US House. One of the first things announced by Speaker Boehner and Whip Eric Cantor was the wholesale elimination of earmarks. And unlike Obama, they actually followed through.

Now 3.5 years later there is an effort to bring back earmarks from both R's and D's---people like Lisa Murkowski (R, AK) and Harry Reid (D, NV). Speaker Boehner is having none of it. He says flatly that as long as he remains Speaker, the ban on earmarks remains in place as well.
John Boehner bans a return to earmarks - Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

This is yet another example of how Boehner has done a good job, and gotten little credit from conservatives (not to mention all the Democrats who claimed to be deficit hawks during the W Bush era). Boehner is not as conservative as I would like. No one who championed Ted Kennedy's 'No child left behind' can be called 'conservative' with a straight face. But overall he gets at least a B+ as speaker, compared to an F for his predecessor Pelosi, and at best a D for her predecessor, Dennis Hastert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:09 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
In 2008, candidate Barack Obama campaigned against the practice of earmarks. Earmarks are provisions in spending bills to fund specific projects in specific districts. It was one of the downfalls of the years under W Bush w/ Speaker Dennis Hastert (R, IL). The poster child was the 'bridge to nowhere' in Alaska. It was a $400 million bridge that would have connected to an island with 50 part time residents.

In March 2009, Pres. Barack Obama was presented with a spending bill from the D-controlled Congress containing 8,570 earmarks. Pres. Obama threatened a veto. in line w/ campaign promises. Harry Reid told him to sign the bill. On March 11, Obama signed, while saying that the earmark-laden bill must signal an "end to the old way of doing business." Much like the alcoholic who says, I'm going to take this one last drink so that I can start the process of quitting drinking.

In Nov 2010, Obama finally got his wish(???), as Republicans took back the US House. One of the first things announced by Speaker Boehner and Whip Eric Cantor was the wholesale elimination of earmarks. And unlike Obama, they actually followed through.

Now 3.5 years later there is an effort to bring back earmarks from both R's and D's---people like Lisa Murkowski (R, AK) and Harry Reid (D, NV). Speaker Boehner is having none of it. He says flatly that as long as he remains Speaker, the ban on earmarks remains in place as well.
John Boehner bans a return to earmarks - Burgess Everett - POLITICO.com

This is yet another example of how Boehner has done a good job, and gotten little credit from conservatives (not to mention all the Democrats who claimed to be deficit hawks during the W Bush era). Boehner is not as conservative as I would like. No one who championed Ted Kennedy's 'No child left behind' can be called 'conservative' with a straight face. But overall he gets at least a B+ as speaker, compared to an F for his predecessor Pelosi, and at best a D for her predecessor, Dennis Hastert.
You might want to read this:

The earmark end-around?: Pork-barrel is out, reviews of military ladder options are in - The Washington Post

Old 05-13-2014, 11:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
I commend Boehner for holding his ground. He, and others, should continue to do what they can to eliminate wasteful spending.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 AM

I happened to read that earlier today, when looking for ideas for this thread. And I think it shows just how effective Boehner's ban on earmarks has been. Notice that the language inserted by the congress critter does not stipulate how much will be spent on the ladders, nor where it will be spent. There are plenty of companies around the country that are making stuff out of carbon fiber. There's no guarantee that a certain company in a certain district will get the business. They will have to compete for it.

And note that according to the article, the US military is already using this type of ladder. So the language inserted by the congressman requesting that the military consider the use of such ladders verges on meaninglessness.

Nice job, Speaker Boehner!!! You lefty anti-military-spending types out there ought to be giving Boehner a tip of the chapeau on this one as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:40 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Why end earmarks? At least the state gets to spend it instead of the executive branch. There is more transparency in earmarks. One knows where it's supposed to be going right off.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Damn, I hate when Boehner does something right. It's so hard to say something nice about him. It's pretty rare so........nice job.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why end earmarks? At least the state gets to spend it instead of the executive branch. There is more transparency in earmarks. One knows where it's supposed to be going right off.
It turns into a game of you vote for my pork, and I'll vote for yours. It's a recipe for spending bloat. Without them it becomes much more difficult to engage in this 'logrolling' (term used by public choice economists), and the incentive to binge spend is automatically reduced.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Didn't the Republicans just stop calling it earmarks and an data started calling them something else?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Of course, earmarks represent a fraction of one-percent of spending but attract a lot of attention.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM

btw, my info on Pres. Obama's record on earmarks comes from The Price of Politics by Bob Woodward. Candidate Obama had campaigned strongly against earmarks in 2008.
Obama: No earmarks for 2009 - CNN.com

But within less than 2 months of taking office in 2009, he had signed the earmark-laden bill of Mar. 11, after Harry Reid talked him into it. Reid in particular was and is openly pro-earmark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodward
In a meeting with Obama, Reid said, Look, this is our prerogative. I understand you don't like earmarks, but they serve an important purpose, and if you get rid of them all, you're not going to get anything else done.
There is doubtless some truth in this, but those of us who like the idea of limited government tend to like it when Washington DC is unable to get things done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies