Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should freedom of speech rights be expanded to protect employees of private companies?
Yes 17 25.76%
No 47 71.21%
Not sure 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:14 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
But we should not need to guard what we say in private conversation in our own homes, for fear we will be punished for having opinions that employer disagrees with.
Give us an example of someone being fired for something they said in a "private conversation" in their own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Employment at will, anybody heard of it? If someone thinks they were wrongfully terminated, they have the civil court and the DOL for such disputes.

So, conservatives want to regulate BUSINESS??? really? I thought that was as much a sacred cow to you guys as public assistance is to the left.
It's not even that. This is really not about something as broad as regulation of speech. This is about a homophobe saying something homophobic on twitter (i.e., in public) and being disciplined by his employer.

Conservatives don't like that the NFL doesn't tolerate homophobes.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I am not clueless about it. I understand that freedom of speech technically only applies to the government's role in regulating speech. But I believe it should be expanded further than that. And I believe the majority of Americans would agree with me.

So, answer the question: do you believe your employer should be able to fire you for something controversial you said in private?
Only to the extent that you should not badmouth the company you work for.
Especially to a competitor.
Other than that, your employer should have NO control over what you say or think.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It's not even that. This is really not about something as broad as regulation of speech. This is about a homophobe saying something homophobic on twitter (i.e., in public) and being disciplined by his employer.

Conservatives don't like that the NFL doesn't like homophobes.
These are the people these guys are defending:

The idiot who owns the Pacers further dug his sorry old white ass into a hole by bashing Magic Johnson on TV.

The idiot who posted a stupid homophobic remark on twitter then can't believe there were consequences. (Nahhhh nobody reads twitter...)

I have a quick little piece of advice for both of them: Know when to shut the hell up guys.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:28 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Only to the extent that you should not badmouth the company you work for.
Especially to a competitor.
Other than that, your employer should have NO control over what you say or think.

And you still do not get the concept of employment at will. How anti-business of you.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
I am not clueless about it. I understand that freedom of speech technically only applies to the government's role in regulating speech. But I believe it should be expanded further than that. And I believe the majority of Americans would agree with me.

So, answer the question: do you believe your employer should be able to fire you for something controversial you said in private?
Only if it becomes public and harms the company in some way.

Pretty simple.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
If you sign a contract with your employer, or organization, you are bound by the terms of that contract. If you do not want to abide by the terms of the contract, don't sign it.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling was suspended for life and fined $2.5 million for racial comments he made during a secretly recorded private conversation.

Miami Dolphins' Don Jones was suspended, fined, and ordered to attend a sensitivity training program for tweeting the words "OMG" and "horrible" after seeing two men kiss on TV.

Last month, Mozilla cofounder Brendan Eich resigned under pressure after it was revealed he had donated $1000 six years ago to the Proposition 8 campaign in California to ban same-sex marriage. Proposition 8 passed in California with 52% of the vote.

I believe Congress needs to step in and take steps to strengthen free-speech rights. Our thoughts and private conversations should not be owned by the employers for whom we work.

If you tell a crude joke to your friends in private on a Saturday night, should your employer have a right to fire you for it?

Isn't Michael Sam tweet free speech? Column

This is not a 1st amendment right as you are framing it. It is a 4th amendment right that has been violated to record the questionable speech.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
These are the people these guys are defending:

The idiot who owns the Pacers further dug his sorry old white ass into a hole by bashing Magic Johnson on TV.

The idiot who posted a stupid homophobic remark on twitter then can't believe there were consequences. (Nahhhh nobody reads twitter...)

I have a quick little piece of advise for both of them: Know when to shut the hell up guys.
It's almost as if they don't know that businesses exist to make money. You make more money when you have more customers. You have more customers by not p-ssing people off. It's not complicated.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post

Conservatives don't like that the NFL doesn't tolerate homophobes.
When did a heterosexual man admitting that he is repulsed by the sight of two men kissing suddenly become "homophobia"?

I got a news flash for you...... Pretty much all straight guys find such things "gross".......and if they don't admit it then they are probably lying for whatever reason or they're not quite as hetero as they say they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies