Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 PM

29,982 posts, read 18,554,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Extra humidity in the air. I've used that one before.

Humidity............................? That is one excuse I have not used. Thanks, as I will use that as one of my primary reasons for scoring poorly. Of course, it is never the fact that I suck- that would require introspection and facing the facts.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,390,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who said anything about stopping nature, I am talking about planning to deal with future changes, but you seem to think we should sit back and do nothing, so don't worry about it. I am sure nothing bad will come from this and life will continue on like normal.
At some point, the volcano in Yellowstone will erupt and the consequences will be dire. How do we plan for the future?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 PM

45,337 posts, read 26,914,776 times
More fear in the form of...

... photorealistic images of U.S. city scenes under different future scenarios. One scenario was 12 feet of sea level rise — right in the middle of the range now predicted due to the collapse of key Antarctic glaciers under way. Here is what some classic American city scenes would look like today with that much extra ocean.

These stunning photos show what iconic U.S. locations look like after 12 feet of sea level rise

More artwork at the link.

Beware - melting ice will happen in a split second...

Old 05-14-2014, 03:47 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,922,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
At some point, the volcano in Yellowstone will erupt and the consequences will be dire. How do we plan for the future?

End premarital sex - we're gonna need alot more virgins.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,210,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe, so where do they move to? How do we move millions of Americans and build an infrastructure to handle such influx.
Car, Train, Grey hound bus Airplane, large Passenger Ships and mass produce Prefab homes and send in engineers and construction crews and truck in heavy equipment and the materials to go towards a temp housing and then a more permanent Re-build.

you can be prepared for things but the choices you make on where you live sometimes you just have to accept the risk in the PNW, Alaska and the California coast to worry about the Antarctic is a waste of time plus no permanent humans have lived or live there permanently.

Now If Mt. Rainer goes or we have a major earthquake and tsunami the upside is I do not have to worry about moving or rebuilding.

When you live where mega thrust earthquakes being the planet's most powerful and Mt. Rainier is considered one of the most dangerous volcanoes in the world and things that happen every year like major avalanches, landslides as well as floods but we do not have to worry about major tornados or hurricanes but we get some pretty nasty winter storms on the pacific.

The Cascade Volcanoes (also known as the Cascade Volcanic Arc or the Cascade Arc) are a number of volcanoes in a volcanic arc in western North America, extending from southwestern British Columbia through Washington and Oregon to Northern California, a distance of well over 700 miles (1,100 km). The arc has formed due to subduction along the Cascadia subduction zone. Although taking its name from the Cascade Range, this term is a geologic grouping rather than a geographic one, and the Cascade Volcanoes extend north into the Coast Mountains, past the Fraser River which is the northward limit of the Cascade Range proper.

Some of the major cities along the length of the arc include Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver, and the population in the region exceeds 10,000,000. All could be potentially affected by volcanic activity and great subduction-zone earthquakes along the arc.

Because the population of the Pacific Northwest is rapidly increasing, the Cascade volcanoes are some of the most dangerous, due to their past eruptive history, potential eruptions and because they are underlain by weak, hydrothermally altered volcanic rocks that are susceptible to failure. Mount Rainier is one of the Decade Volcanoes due to the danger it poses to Seattle and Tacoma. Many large, long-runout landslides originating on Cascade volcanoes have inundated valleys tens of kilometers from their sources, and some of the inundated areas now support large populations.

"The Big One" is a term often used in casual conversation by residents of California, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia to describe the megathrust earthquake anticipated as inevitably striking the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,210,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
BBQ a steak and drink a ice cold beer and enjoy the evening LOL at the news of Alec Baldwin bike riding incident since what else can you to not get a kick out of it the world is full of ups and down and we cannot even save mankind from ourselves so how can we save the whole planet.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:12 PM

25,426 posts, read 18,548,214 times
Just wave your magic tax wand and it will all be better.

Or maybe not. Maybe, just maybe, you don't control the universe like you think you do, eh?

Old 05-14-2014, 04:14 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,390,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
More fear in the form of...

... photorealistic images of U.S. city scenes under different future scenarios. One scenario was 12 feet of sea level rise — right in the middle of the range now predicted due to the collapse of key Antarctic glaciers under way. Here is what some classic American city scenes would look like today with that much extra ocean.

These stunning photos show what iconic U.S. locations look like after 12 feet of sea level rise

More artwork at the link.

Beware - melting ice will happen in a split second...

Boat 'em in. Most of the seats in that stadium are above water. A little fill dirt and some illegal laborers and they are back in business.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:29 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,774,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Just wave your magic tax wand and it will all be better.

Or maybe not. Maybe, just maybe, you don't control the universe like you think you do, eh?
It's not all about taxes.

It is literally a case of certain people getting off their fat behinds and walking 30 minutes to the store instead of taking the car every single time, shutting off the lights, buying only what you need, taking the bus, carpooling, or biking. Things like checking the ingredients in your food to make sure it doesn't contain palm oil or anything that is the product of deforestation.

Smaller homes, smaller cars, demanding better infrastructure, not just passively mindless consuming-- all of these things help.

But some people won't do it because they are too selfish, stupid and lazy, and this is America and nobody can tell me what to do in my own house.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:27 PM

8,058 posts, read 3,922,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
It's not all about taxes.

It is literally a case of certain people getting off their fat behinds and walking 30 minutes to the store instead of taking the car every single time, shutting off the lights, buying only what you need, taking the bus, carpooling, or biking. Things like checking the ingredients in your food to make sure it doesn't contain palm oil or anything that is the product of deforestation.

Smaller homes, smaller cars, demanding better infrastructure, not just passively mindless consuming-- all of these things help.

But some people won't do it because they are too selfish, stupid and lazy, and this is America and nobody can tell me what to do in my own house.

Ok, but can I still jump in my jet to go get a burger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies