Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:54 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
That was exactly the point I was getting to. What is the logic in income taxes at all? The only fair tax is a 100% sales/consumption tax. Tax people for the government resources they use.

Any income tax is inherently unfair.
I agree 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 08:58 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree 100%.
Yep... great idea!!!

Let's disincentivize any consumption!! Let's discourage people from contributing to 70% of the economy!

Fail.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yep... great idea!!!

Let's disincentivize any consumption!! Let's discourage people from contributing to 70% of the economy!
Affordability certainly doesn't disincentivize consumption. How many dumbasses overpay for iCrap, designer clothing, etc.?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Yep... great idea!!!

Fail.
ROFLMAO.

People camp out for $200 sneakers, $700 phones and $400 gaming systems. They riot for dolls. They pay hundreds for Beanie Babies.

Do you really think they are going to reduce consumption due to an additional tax while their paychecks immediately increase?

Edit: And if we go with your notion that consumption is such an important part of the economy, wouldn't it be better to give people more money they can spend on consumption by increasing their take home pay?

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 06-24-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
What happens?

the same thing that happens when we force democracy on countries that have no concept of democracy and use it to further the anti democratic path they have followed for centuries.

Deprives the needy from a helping hand by federal institutionalized indiscriminate distribution of infinite cash resources taken from your wallet. Little effort is made to ensure the needy get help. Those that need the most help find the government their tormentor.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:57 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
just a question.
Actually, quite a few questions, but I'll play.

Quote:
have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment?
Yes, constantly. I have seen many poor people work very hard to put themselves through school. I have seen poor people save and save until they had the money to invest, and become successful.

I have seen poor people start successful businesses from the ground up.

Quote:
do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again?
Yes.

There are MANY stories of wealthy people losing all their money through the same behavior, it is rampant among ex-NBA players.

Quote:
or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas?
This is a false dichotomy, obviously intended to paint people who don't give the answers you are looking for in a bad light. I am completely against using force to take anything from a peaceful person, that is theft.

Quote:
we all know government makes great investments.
I believe this is sarcasm, and it better be. Government is historically inept at investing money.

Quote:
what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"
The "end game" is great, the idea is that we can all be happy and equal in income. Reality says this is impossible, and I say, if you must use force on peaceful people to get the money, it is immoral.

You can guarantee a level playing field, but you can NOT guarantee equal results. (And attempting to will instantly destroy the level playing field)

Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,010 times
Quote:
Yep... great idea!!!

Fail.
By that logic, the income tax disincentivizes any production.

It is immoral to use force to extract money from a peaceful person for any reason, but it would be much more fair if I could avoid taxes by saving my money rather than being unemployed.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'd quit work and stop paying into the government coffers. Why not? Someone else's wealth would just be redistributed to me
So you would no longer engage in commerce or pay taxes?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Affordability certainly doesn't disincentivize consumption. How many dumbasses overpay for iCrap, designer clothing, etc.?

??? The responsible poor should be taxed up the wazoo because irresponsible people blow money on iCrap?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? The responsible poor should be taxed up the wazoo because irresponsible people blow money on iCrap?
If you're single and have no dependents, yes. That's liberal logic. Embrace it. They claim they represent your interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies