U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:43 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,921,009 times

Advertisements

just a question. have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment? do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again? or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas? we all know government makes great investments. what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,384,569 times
If everything were equal in 10 years....

The same people would have money.

The same people would live check to check.

The same people would be broke......and crying about it.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:59 PM

403 posts, read 521,144 times
the general idea about redistributing wealth is to ensure everybody can live decently and to diminish wealth inequality ... now you sound like a person who'd send poor people to extermination camps because they didn't succeed in life

Old 05-15-2014, 02:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,856,282 times
I believe that some poor people would do well if they were given money. They are the ones through no fault of their own that have gotten the short end of the economic stick. But there are others that no amount of free money would help. They make poor decisions personally and economically. But do I believe in redistribution of wealth and equality of outcome for all? No. It doesn't work that way.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:03 PM

39,225 posts, read 20,343,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
just a question. have you ever seen a poor person make a good financial decision/investment? do you think it's simply a coincidence that poor people who win the lottery often end up broke again? or are you just for taking wealth from the individuals, and giving it to the government for them to distribute for their own agendas? we all know government makes great investments. what is the end game of higher wages and "income equality?"
I'd quit work and stop paying into the government coffers. Why not? Someone else's wealth would just be redistributed to me

Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,694,164 times
Redistribution of wealth - taking away to give cash to others - is not really what any mainstream person calls for.

What the best "redistribution" of wealth (taxation of wealth or by some other method) would do is use funds to invest in opportunity for lower classes and infrastructure of the nation. Shoring up the education system, job training, roads, transport, healthcare, tech and sciences.

Simply giving money to others is a recipe for disaster. But investing in the country and its people would ultimately pay dividends for the wealthy as much as it does for the poorer classes and especially, the middle class.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I believe that some poor people would do well if they were given money. They are the ones through no fault of their own that have gotten the short end of the economic stick. But there are others that no amount of free money would help. They make poor decisions personally and economically. But do I believe in redistribution of wealth and equality of outcome for all? No. It doesn't work that way.
Everyone blames the banks for the 2008 instead of looking in the mirror and seeing how they contributed to the crash. Could it be that they bought something they could not afford, could it be they could not manage their money, could it be they expected government to give it to them.

Always blaming others and by blaming others, you will not learn what you did wrong. If you give those people someone else's money, those same people will only repeat the same mistake again.

Last edited by petch751; 05-15-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
the general idea about redistributing wealth is to ensure everybody can live decently and to diminish wealth inequality ... now you sound like a person who'd send poor people to extermination camps because they didn't succeed in life
so your solution to giving everyone a great life is to send money to one of two groups that can't manage money? also, what you suggest is outrageous. I wouldn't send poor people to extermination camps. I'd simply let them starve to death, which we know would never happen.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
No one will have to send anyone to extermination camps. Just stop giving free money to people. The people who are willing to work will survive. The people who want a free ride won't.

Of the people who work and survive, those who learn how to handle money will survive. Those who refuse to learn how to handle money won't survive.

Anyone who blames everyone else, refusing to look at what they are doing wrong will not survive.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I agree with you. there are some people who can make something from nothing. unfortunately, that is the exception. not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies