Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:41 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,474 times

Advertisements

You know the people who are like "the white man is the devil", "check your privilege", and so on? Do they think people should pay taxes based on how "privileged" they are, with men, Caucasians, straight people, able-bodied etcs paying more and women, blacks, the disabled etc paying less? Or is it simply a mental exercise in humility or if you're more cynical, guilt?

I don't deny being white or a man or whatever gives you certain relative leverages in life, but I think the concept of privilege is often used to shut down opposing points of views. I also find the postmodern idea that one cannot have an opinion on something they haven't experienced directly anti-intellectual and totalitarian. For example many leftists feel that men shouldn't have an opinion on abortion, unless of course it's the "correct" opinion ie pro-choice lol. I'm pro-choice myself actually, but I've always found this sentiment off-putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 PM

What do you all think?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:04 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Ultimate goal?

More money with less work attached, period.

Long term goal?

They don't have them.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Never heard of them but then all kinds of groups out there now days.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 PM

781 posts, read 736,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
"check your privilege"
Where does one have their privilege checked? Would that be an internist, orthopedist or a mechanic?

Seriously though, if you're forced to talk to loony liberals (as if there were any other kind), just do like ole' Patrick Batemen, put on your "pod people face" and recite this speech (with a few "privilege" and "white privilege" buzz words thrown in for good effect:

American Psycho - Patrick Bateman's Mission - YouTube

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,145 times
I think they probably want a more egalitarian society but all that it's doing is further polarizing the left and the right.
Feminists and environmentalists are both despised because they want to tell the masses that they need to be more self-critical.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I think they probably want a more egalitarian society but all that it's doing is further polarizing the left and the right.
Feminists and environmentalists are both despised because they want to tell the masses that they need to be more self-critical.
Hmmm, I think it goes beyond that. I think there is definitely a legitimate push for censorship among at least some of them.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:55 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Spread their self loathing and loser attitudes to everyone else.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:33 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,909,198 times
It's all about having power and total control of the masses.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
You know the people who are like "the white man is the devil", "check your privilege", and so on? Do they think people should pay taxes based on how "privileged" they are, with men, Caucasians, straight people, able-bodied etcs paying more and women, blacks, the disabled etc paying less? Or is it simply a mental exercise in humility or if you're more cynical, guilt?

I don't deny being white or a man or whatever gives you certain relative leverages in life, but I think the concept of privilege is often used to shut down opposing points of views. I also find the postmodern idea that one cannot have an opinion on something they haven't experienced directly anti-intellectual and totalitarian. For example many leftists feel that men shouldn't have an opinion on abortion, unless of course it's the "correct" opinion ie pro-choice lol. I'm pro-choice myself actually, but I've always found this sentiment off-putting.
Duh, people should pay income taxes based on their income - end of story. If you happen to be a white boy who only makes $10,000.00/yr, you won't and shouldn't be paying as much tax as the African American woman who earns $100,000/year. If you have an opinion about abortion or anything else, write a letter to the editor of your local paper. No one is stopping you. If an issue is serious enough to warrent a place on an election ballet and your side loses, tough. You can always circulate a petition requesting that the measure be rescinded. If enough of your fellow citizens agree with you, they'll be another vote and your side will win.

But you are obviously not interested in a civics lesson. It ticks you off that people who are different from you due to skin color, disability, gender, etc. get to have their situation taken under consideration by our society. This has obviously silenced you and your friends because here you are posting your resentments on the Internet for the entire world to read, you poor, maligned fellow, you. I bet just like the rest of us you even have your very own NSA agent who is breathlessly taking down your every word. [To Rambler's Special Agent: Hey, you! Wake up! Jihad! Muslim! Read the Koran!]

See how easy it is to get people to listen to you? Nah, you'd rather whine about being a victim. Folks with your attitude are just so damn boring.

This is a strawman argument and not an especially good one at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies