Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
???
Don't refrigerate a carton of milk after opening?
Nesquick is chocolate syrup. They also make chocolate milk which does need to be refrigerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:50 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
The Democratic governor of Conn. is vetoing this bill. The 'no chocolate milk' thing was an unintended consequence of the bill which attempted to limit the amount of sodium in a typical school meal...which can often massively exceed the recommended daily allowance for a fully-grown male, let alone a school child.

But hair-on-fire posts like the OP don't shed any light on any issue.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nesquick is chocolate syrup. They also make chocolate milk which does need to be refrigerated.
That doesn't sound good to me.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
That doesn't sound good to me.
Because you are used to HFCS and the need for it to be refrigerated once opened.
Before HFCS those syrups (pancake, milk, ice cream, etc) used to be put in the pantry, not the fridge.
And they didn't go bad.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:44 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Nanny State. You'd think, these stupid politicians would have more important things to be doing. Leave the kids alone and stay the hell out of out lives! Work on jobs and lowering taxes(aka letting us keep more of the money we earn)
I couldn't agree more! The insanity continues on, and on and on. Every day it seams a new decision is being made by the gov for the better of us, telling us how to live our lives, what to drink and eat!! Will it ever end?

Kid's can' have chocolate milk! WTF! These so called politicians should be working on more important matters
than this for sure like creating jobs!

I don't see this kinda crap ending, it's like a locomotive train without a driver and it's out of control..

Old 05-17-2014, 11:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
The Democratic governor of Conn. is vetoing this bill. The 'no chocolate milk' thing was an unintended consequence of the bill which attempted to limit the amount of sodium in a typical school meal...which can often massively exceed the recommended daily allowance for a fully-grown male, let alone a school child.

But hair-on-fire posts like the OP don't shed any light on any issue.
Does that actually require a law to change? Why couldn't the state, who is the people in charge of their own school system, simply make that a requirement to the vendors? This is nanny state personified. Why tell the vendor to add less sodium (the easy solution) when you can pass a law banning yet something else (Nanny state solution).

Old 05-17-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Does that actually require a law to change? Why couldn't the state, who is the people in charge of their own school system, simply make that a requirement to the vendors? This is nanny state personified. Why tell the vendor to add less sodium (the easy solution) when you can pass a law banning yet something else (Nanny state solution).
Good point. It's the government giving them the chocolate milk to begin with.
So they need to make a law to tell themselves not to serve chocolate milk ?

That's how full of red tape our government has gotten..they need to make laws against themselves

Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because you are used to HFCS and the need for it to be refrigerated once opened.
Before HFCS those syrups (pancake, milk, ice cream, etc) used to be put in the pantry, not the fridge.
And they didn't go bad.
Rancid fats, man.

Rancid fats.

I'd rather use refrigeration than the kinds of chemicals corporations use.

I buy Swiss jams for all my recreational toast eating. It has no sugars added, yet the label says to refrigerate after opening.

Wait! The label reads: No artificial preservatives, colors or flavors. Keep refrigerated after opining. Ingredients: sugar, dextrose, glucose syrup, concentrated raspberry juice, citric acid, fruit pectin. Fruit content: 52%.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 05-17-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 12:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Whole milk chocolate milk is probably the best. Kids get mad when you take away their chocolate milk and will instead drink juice which is very sugary. The fat in chocolate milk lowers the glycemic load so as far as diabetes risk goes it's a lot better than non fat... Fat isn't fattening
Kids get MAD? Well, we certainly can't have that! You don't want the special little snowflakes to get mad.
Perhaps you should follow the French model. The kids are healthier and are given only water at mealtimes.

The way French kids eat is equally paradoxical. French children spend one hour more per day eating than American kids do, partly at the expense of ‘screen time’ (they get, on average, 2 hours less per day). In the ‘classic’ French household (and I’m aware I am over-generalizing here), children eat the same food the adults do–and are expected to do so uncomplainingly. The (admittedly anecdotal) proof can be found in the lunches served in French schools every day: French school children regularly eat things like radishes, grated carrot salad, endive, all sorts of fish, and even stinky blue cheese and grilled guinea fowl (see the amazing school lunch menus I documented for a year in French communities of all sizes at the French Kids School Lunch Project).
Most astonishing of all (as I can attest, being married to a Frenchman, and having our two daughters attend school in France): French kids not only eat this food, most of them like it.
Why? In part, it’s because French school lunches are used as a pedagogical tool, introducing a broad range of dishes, fresh vegetables, and fruits. Strict Ministry of Education regulations ensure that fried food is served no more than once per month, children drink only water at lunch; instead of flavored milk, traditional cheeses or yogurts are served. Ketchup is served a maximum of once per week–and only with foods with which it is traditionally used as a condiment, such as steak. Portion sizes are limited (one piece of delicious baguette per child, at my daughters’ school). And vending machines are banned in all schools. Yes, that means no soda pop, no processed food, and no fast food. Kids learn to like the taste of ‘whole food’. This doesn’t mean deprivation, but rather moderation: sweet treats (like Cherry Clafoutis in cherry season, or Chocolate Mousse) are served once a week. So French kids learn to ‘treat treats as treats’.
French Kids Don't Get Fat: Why? |

Old 05-17-2014, 06:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
No comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies