Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
First, Eisenhower was the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe. He was the pre-eminent military figure of the most powerful nation in the victorious coalition of the greatest war fought in the history of the planet, not to mention one of the three great existential crises in American history. But even you must realize how ludicrous it is to hold up Dwight D. Eisenhower as an argument for why a surgeon, regardless of his professional stature, is a plausible Presidential nominee. He's not. That's not to diminish Dr. Carson, it's to diminish a ridiculous analogy.

Second, yes, Obama was well-known before his 2008 run. He was the keynote speaker at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, in the midst of a Senate race that got a great deal of national attention for numerous reasons (the withdrawal of the original Republican nominee amidst lurid wife-swapping allegations, the very public flirtation of Mike Ditka as a potential replacement candidate, and then the rather loud entrance of Alan Keyes as the eventual GOP candidate). And before the 2006 mid-terms, Senator Obama was second in the nomination polls to Senator Clinton. Then there's the fact that Democratic nominees patterns aren't particularly applicable to Republican nominees, making the Obama example not particularly apt in any event.

Finally, every nominee for either party since the advent of the modern primary/caucus system has been an incumbent President, or a sitting or former Vice President, Senator or Governor. Thus, the 2016 Republican Presidential nominee will be a current or former Senator or Governor. Not a magnate/developer/reality TV show host. Not a pizza CEO. And certainly not a surgeon. Not here in the real world.

I was just responding to a poster who claimed that there had not been a president for 100 years who had not previously held elective office. It is not the case.

No, Obama did not have much name recognition prior to 2008. He himself said so.

Obama Calls Name Recognition Big Hurdle

Old 05-16-2014, 07:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
If God does plan to ask Carson to run, He had better do so soon. Carson needs all the time he can get to line up wealthy supporters, without whose generous infusions of "speech" he (Carson, not God) has no hope of winning even a single primary.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
If God does plan to ask Carson to run, He had better do so soon. Carson needs all the time he can get to line up wealthy supporters, without whose generous infusions of "speech" he (Carson, not God) has no hope of winning even a single primary.
I'm not a fan of the 'God spoke to me' line, but it is on your side of the aisle just as much as mine.

Obama was God

https://www.catholic.org/news/politi...y.php?id=53019

Democrats Rapidly Revise Platform to Include "God" - ABC News

Old 05-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
He has at least one other qualification--the ability to bring out the bat**** crazy side of *******s. That alone makes him a valuable asset to the Republican party.
p/o'ing the other side should never be considered a valuable asset for either side of the aisle, thats whats wrong with this nation now. People are more worried about ideology than what will actually work, and that is why Ben Carson will never be president.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan of the 'God spoke to me' line, but it is on your side of the aisle just as much as mine.

Obama was God

Did Obama himself ever actually say that God had called on him to run? It's one thing to quote a nutty supporter -- all politicians have those -- but when the candidate himself is making statements like that, it does raise questions, or at least eyebrows.

As for "fear of God," that's just an expression. I don't think he was actually threatening Virginians with fire and brimstone in the event of a Cuccinelli victory. Compare and contrast with the rhetoric that emanated from Cuccinelli's running mate.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:

Obama was God

False equivication.

The post you responded to was about God speaking to people , where as your post was simply about believing in Christian theology that God has a plan and simply putting the word God in the party platform.

Neither of which is the same as saying "God spoke to me".

Not......Even......Close........

Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I have Carson beating Hillary in a landslide.
ala Reagan over Mondale.
There are a lot of guys in Vegas who will take that bet and give you points!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
His singular qualification seems to be that he can make wingnuts stand up and cheer. They love a black man who can talk white. It gives them cover for their racist proclivities. That should get him 10-20% of the vote.
Is it because the dems have raised blacks out of poverty? thought so.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
The one who believes in states rights and stays out of our daily lives gets my vote.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
We have a GOP candidate for Governor who God also told him he was going to be the President.

Harley D. Brown was living in his buddy Fat Jack's basement in Nampa after a divorce at the time, around 2000. All he wanted was for God to give him back his former job as a jr. officer in the Seabees. But according to Harley, God informed him He had bigger plans. He was going to make Harley the President!
So Harley is running for Governor just to get a little experience before he ascends into the White House. And Harley has the written assurance from a prophet who lives overseas somewhere that the job will surely be his. Harley has already run for some other positions, ever since 2002. Just for practice.

Now he's a proven candidate. he got 4.5% of the vote once. That's better than Dr. Carson has ever done.
You can see Harley in action here:

THE GREAT IDAHO DEBATE SUPERCUT - YouTube

He's the guy in the biker suit, of course. He changed his name to Harley 'cause he loves his bike. A lot.

The other guy with a beard is just a typical Idaho Republican. He didn't get a word about anything from God, but he sure knows his Bible. The other two guys are Idaho's current Guv and the third guy who wants the job. You can tell where all the outside money is going. (clue- it's not Harley or Walt)

So- either God is speaking to a lot of folks about the same job these days, or someone got the wrong word from somebody (or something). Who ya gonna believe? A brain surgeon or an ex-Seabee? It seems like God qualified both of them. Makes me wonder what the Big Guy Up There has up His sleeve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies