Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Frontline, the best investigative journalism on television you will find. No one else even comes close. I look forward to watching this, I've been listening to Glenn Greenwald talk about his new book, and all the obstacles world governments are putting in his way since breaking Snowden's story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 12:46 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Not trying to hijack the thread, but here is an interview with Glenny G. that deals with certain themes of this thread.

"Once people understood that this extraordinary system of suspicionless surveillance, which was truly unprecedented in scope, had been created completely in the dark, it became more than a surveillance story," Greenwald says. "It became a story about government secrecy and accountability and the role of journalism, and certainly privacy and surveillance in the digital age."

Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
if we are going to go after bush, cheney and obama for circumventing the fourth amendment, then we need to go after EVERY president, vp, and ag since the 1920s at least.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Frontline, the best investigative journalism on television you will find. No one else even comes close. I look forward to watching this, I've been listening to Glenn Greenwald talk about his new book, and all the obstacles world governments are putting in his way since breaking Snowden's story.
In this longish debate Glenn Greenwald makes short work of Surveillance State shill Michael Hayden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWYEVp_6F8

Poor Alan Dershowitz is so beyond his prime that he comes across like a surly uncle who drank too much Manischewitz at Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:13 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
In this longish debate Glenn Greenwald makes short work of Surveillance State shill Michael Hayden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QWYEVp_6F8

Poor Alan Dershowitz is so beyond his prime that he comes across like a surly uncle who drank too much Manischewitz at Thanksgiving dinner.
Thanks for posting this excellent debate....which, from where I sit, was a 20-0 shutout by Glenn Greenwald/Alexis Ohanian. Given the audience result, many agreed.

The 4th Amendment to our Constitution was, for all practical purposes, repealed in the mid 1980s. For it was then that Reagan's Attorney General Edwin Meece spearheaded the drive to institutionalize warrant-less, suspicion-less, bodily fluid searches of Americans for drugs on a scorched earth scale. It was the most outrageous proposal of constitutional disregard in our modern history and Americans en mass just went along. My state of disbelief turned, upon years into that new era of police-state corporate/government alliance, to a reluctant acceptance of just how far we had slipped as a nation from even as little as 20 years before that when I came of age. That nationwide acceptance of the grotesquely ugly concept of mass drug-testing proved beyond any doubt that we were no longer a nation capable of understanding, much less defending, the liberties penned and fought for by our founders and ancestors.

So, sadly, none of this newly revealed NSA surveillance stuff comes as any surprise to me. I'd love to be surprised by Americans waking up en mass, starting to learn the importance of Constitutional principle, and holding our elected officials accountable to upholding them. But there's likely more chance I'd win a bet that the Cubs will take the Series this year.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Default Glenn Greenwald Meet The Press

Greenwald: Traitor Label Badge of Honor. EXTENDED INTERVIEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2RiSNbPY_Q

Old 05-18-2014, 03:00 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The PBS broadcast United States of Secrets makes a strong case for throwing former VP Dick Cheney and his lackey General Michael Hayden in prison for circumventing the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

United States of Secrets | FRONTLINE | PBS

Next Week: How Silicon Valley Feeds the NSA’s Global Dragnet

I guess companies like Google and Microsoft won't be able to claim innocence any longer.
BDS still alive and well.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thanks for posting this excellent debate....which, from where I sit, was a 20-0 shutout by Glenn Greenwald/Alexis Ohanian. Given the audience result, many agreed.

The 4th Amendment to our Constitution was, for all practical purposes, repealed in the mid 1980s. For it was then that Reagan's Attorney General Edwin Meece spearheaded the drive to institutionalize warrant-less, suspicion-less, bodily fluid searches of Americans for drugs on a scorched earth scale. It was the most outrageous proposal of constitutional disregard in our modern history and Americans en mass just went along. My state of disbelief turned, upon years into that new era of police-state corporate/government alliance, to a reluctant acceptance of just how far we had slipped as a nation from even as little as 20 years before that when I came of age. That nationwide acceptance of the grotesquely ugly concept of mass drug-testing proved beyond any doubt that we were no longer a nation capable of understanding, much less defending, the liberties penned and fought for by our founders and ancestors.

So, sadly, none of this newly revealed NSA surveillance stuff comes as any surprise to me. I'd love to be surprised by Americans waking up en mass, starting to learn the importance of Constitutional principle, and holding our elected officials accountable to upholding them. But there's likely more chance I'd win a bet that the Cubs will take the Series this year.
right blame meese and the reagan administration despite the fact that we had a liberal supreme court,a dn a democrat congress that could have stopped what ever meese was doing at the time. also never mention the fact that it was in fact going on long before the reagan adminstration hit the ground running, the push was on in the 1920s, perhaps earlier.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
The vast majority of citizens of this country are completely oblivious to what their government is doing. They couldn't care less. For most in our society, the candidate that is the most photogenic is the one who gets elected. Qualifications and expertise mean much less than a candidates camera presence. The crimes of an administration are of little consequence to the typical American.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 AM

The Church Committee of the 1970's did much to ensure our liberties but the USA Patriot Act stripped most of those liberties away. Given that we know the NSA, CIA and FBI have run amok; we need new Congressional hearings to rein the Intelligence Agencies back in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies