Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:22 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They should at least put English subtitles so the rest of us can follow along.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Some of you people are so hung up on illegal immigration. I don't like it either--I say enforce the laws or change them. But there is a certain reality that many of you fail to see. Why do you think the problem is allowed to persist? I know some of you are going to say, "to get votes for the democrats." Really? Do you think that is all it is? That may be part of it, but I think it's a small part. Also, some of you will say, "to tear down our culture!" Really? Hispanic culture, in the whole big scheme of world cultures is very close to ours. We're very similar from a world-view. I don't buy that one at all.

Here's what I see: I see, as I'm going about my daily activities, that nearly every function in our society (job) that involves any significant physical work is being performed by Hispanics--quite often immigrant Hispanics. They build your homes, they collect your garbage, they cut your grass, they weed your garden, they pick your strawberries, they cook your big mac, etc. My opinion is that a significant reason for allowing the immigration to continue is for a supply of surfs. Because obviously you are too good to do those sorts of things. And if they don't get done, your society crumbles.

And I know exactly what you are going to say; something like this, right? "If they were run out of the country all of our own citizens on welfare could get work." Not going to happen. Sorry. The vast majority on welfare do not want to and will not work. You may as well forget it. Those workers that come from south of the border, as much as you want to denigrate them, know how to work. They work their asses off. You won't get that from a welfare recipient that wants to watch TV and play x-box all day.

All of this is moot anyway. It has nothing to do with the Spanish language per se. It just so happens that most immigrants speak Spanish. But it wouldn't matter if they spoke Georgian. It's not a language issue. I think most of you need to just face the fact that you do not like to hear other languages spoken around you, sadly. It offends you. I can hear you saying right now, "But what if they are talking about me?"

Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Some of you people are so hung up on illegal immigration. I don't like it either--I say enforce the laws or change them. But there is a certain reality that many of you fail to see. Why do you think the problem is allowed to persist. I know some of you are going to say, "to get votes for the democrats." Really? Do you think that is all it is? That may be part of it, but I think it's a small part. Also, some of you will say, "to tear down our culture!" Really? Hispanic culture, in the whole big scheme of world cultures is very close to ours. We're very similar from a world-view. I don't buy that one at all.

Here's what I see: I see, as I'm going about my daily activities, that nearly every function in our society (job) that involves any significant physical work is being performed by Hispanics--quite often immigrant Hispanics. They build your homes, they collect your garbage, they cut your grass, they weed your garden, they pick your strawberries, they cook you big mac, etc. My opinion is that a significant reason for allowing the immigration to continue is for a supply of surfs. Because obviously you are too good to do those sorts of things. And if they don't get done, your society crumbles.

And I know exactly what you are going to say; something like this, right: "If they were run out of the country all of our own citizens on welfare could get work." Not going to happen. Sorry. The vast majority on welfare do not want to and will not work. You may as well forget it. Those workers that come from south of the border, as much as you want to denigrate them, know how to work. They work their asses off. You won't get that from a welfare recipient that wants to watch TV and play x-box all day.

All of this is moot anyway. It has nothing to do with the Spanish language per se. It just so happens that most immigrants speak Spanish. But it wouldn't matter if they spoke Georgian. It's not a language issue. I think most of you need to just face the fact that you do not like to hear other languages spoke around you, sadly. It offends you. I can hear you saying right now, "But what if they are talking about me?"
The laws are being changed....one Executive Order at a time.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The laws are being changed....one Executive Order at a time.
But then again, that's not the way they are supposed to be changed...

Old 05-21-2014, 09:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
You never answered the question.

Why do you need a law to be respectful?
"Respectful" of what?

Were the English "respectful" of the Dutch who were here before them?
Were any of them "respectful" of the Native Americans?

In a country where a countless number of states, cities, streets... have names of non-English origin, what monolith of culture is it exactly that people are supposed to be respectful of?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
But then again, that's not the way they are supposed to be changed...
No, but Congress isn't stopping that from happening.

Next up are illegals being allowed to join the military with restrictions (they got here in 2011 or before).

Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Some of you people are so hung up on illegal immigration. I don't like it either--I say enforce the laws or change them. But there is a certain reality that many of you fail to see. Why do you think the problem is allowed to persist? I know some of you are going to say, "to get votes for the democrats." Really? Do you think that is all it is? That may be part of it, but I think it's a small part. Also, some of you will say, "to tear down our culture!" Really? Hispanic culture, in the whole big scheme of world cultures is very close to ours. We're very similar from a world-view. I don't buy that one at all.

Here's what I see: I see, as I'm going about my daily activities, that nearly every function in our society (job) that involves any significant physical work is being performed by Hispanics--quite often immigrant Hispanics. They build your homes, they collect your garbage, they cut your grass, they weed your garden, they pick your strawberries, they cook your big mac, etc. My opinion is that a significant reason for allowing the immigration to continue is for a supply of surfs. Because obviously you are too good to do those sorts of things. And if they don't get done, your society crumbles.

And I know exactly what you are going to say; something like this, right? "If they were run out of the country all of our own citizens on welfare could get work." Not going to happen. Sorry. The vast majority on welfare do not want to and will not work. You may as well forget it. Those workers that come from south of the border, as much as you want to denigrate them, know how to work. They work their asses off. You won't get that from a welfare recipient that wants to watch TV and play x-box all day.

All of this is moot anyway. It has nothing to do with the Spanish language per se. It just so happens that most immigrants speak Spanish. But it wouldn't matter if they spoke Georgian. It's not a language issue. I think most of you need to just face the fact that you do not like to hear other languages spoken around you, sadly. It offends you. I can hear you saying right now, "But what if they are talking about me?"
In regard to your last paragraph, I love other languages. Being able to speak another language expands the mind. Using it as an excuse for being rude is wrong. It is not a question of "but what if they are talking about me?" It is rude to speak another language in public, habitually, if most others around you don't understand that language. That little act of courtesy used to be understood.

Last edited by toryturner; 05-21-2014 at 09:57 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Respectful" of what?

Were the English "respectful" of the Dutch who were here before them?
Were any of them "respectful" of the Native Americans?

In a country where a countless number of states, cities, streets... have names of non-English origin, what monolith of culture is it exactly that people are supposed to be respectful of?
And besides that, if the English Only crowd were seriously worried about English only, they'd be speaking Old English from before the twelfth century. THAT was English. What we speak is not really English per se.

I offer this with a bit of hesitation because I don't want to cause any seizures or strokes for the English Only folks, but... well... ummmm... ahhhh... half of the language you speak is really French and Latin. Oh lord... there goes Martha. She's clutching her chest. She's twitching. Call an ambulance.

Maybe we should adopt French and make it unanimous. Oh, god, Martha stopped moving. Is she dead?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Thats because we have 20-30 million illegals that shouldn't be here. Our language is English.

Another country is overstepping its borders on our soil.
Man, I live right here in the USA. 70% of the people in my state are the descendants of Europeans who settled here 400 years ago, over 100 years before the American Revolution. Spanish is the language they brought here from Europe.

Don't worry, though, Spanish has become a second language for the vast majority of them, and the number who only speak English, practically no Spanish at all, is quite high.

I suspect the same is true for all the illegals that are cooking your food and cleaning up after you.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Man, I live right here in the USA. 70% of the people in my state are the descendants of Europeans who settled here 400 years ago, over 100 years before the American Revolution. Spanish is the language they brought here from Europe.

Don't worry, though, Spanish has become a second language for the vast majority of them, and the number who only speak English, practically no Spanish at all, is quite high.

I suspect the same is true for all the illegals that are cooking your food and cleaning up after you.
Just like the Irish and Chinese had to do menial, low paying jobs because of discrimination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies