Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Despite the melting pot and integration promoted by ways of education and the media, self segregation by race still holds true for the vast majority of Americans. many far right writers like Jared Taylor makes fair points that if you go into a cafeteria in universities, or if you look at the segregation by race in churches, or the kind of people you invite over for dinner, racial self-segregation has not changed much. Do you think racial segregation is innate in all humans and that it is healthy and natural or do you think it is caused by America's history and that it is an issue that is dissolving?

"Far right wingers" are the only people you can point to who've made that often-cited (and true) cafeteria observation?

You need to get out (and read) more. Yeesh.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why? Why wouldn't everyone's incomes be high?
LA and NYC are both blue. The elite liberals... Very high incomes, but they don't pay their employees correspondingly more.

HowTF would the existence of Wall Street and Hollywood cause higher incomes for fast food workers???

Old 05-20-2014, 01:35 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HowTF would the existence of Wall Street and Hollywood cause higher incomes for fast food workers???
You tell me. Liberals are always complaining about the income gap widening, seemingly without understanding that the income gap is worse in blue states so they actually support it.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You tell me. Liberals are always complaining about the income gap widening, seemingly without understanding that the income gap is worse in blue states so they actually support it.

??? Wouldn't liberals just say that employers are greedy and that's why they need to increase minimum wage?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Wouldn't liberals just say that employers are greedy and that's why they need to increase minimum wage?
You would think. Has that happened enough to narrow blue states' income gaps? Or are they still the most wide?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Despite the melting pot and integration promoted by ways of education and the media, self segregation by race still holds true for the vast majority of Americans. many far right writers like Jared Taylor makes fair points that if you go into a cafeteria in universities, or if you look at the segregation by race in churches, or the kind of people you invite over for dinner, racial self-segregation has not changed much. Do you think racial segregation is innate in all humans and that it is healthy and natural or do you think it is caused by America's history and that it is an issue that is dissolving?
Of course it's innate. Just look at history. Different cultures vary to great degrees and occupy different regions of the globe for a reason. It would take another 100 years or more to totally weld other cultures in one society together and eliminate major divisions if ever.

But liberals think multiculturalism is perfectly natural and good and that only racism, not inherit differences in background and culture keep peoples apart. Notice no other cultures on earth accept Western societies effected by liberalism are interested in going "multicultural". What does that tell you.

And of course the people who push hardest for multiculturalism and all these divergent cultures from different parts of the globe living as one society also think that two men or two women should be able to "marry" each other. Contemplate that for a minute.

Perhaps, maybe, possibly the West is suffering from the deep malady of a majority of its population who've had the ability to think straight robbed from them due to their adherence of liberal principles which are false and will always be false.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It isn't left or right wing. It is simply younger gens see no basis for caring about the pigmentation of their neighbor's skin. they are indifferent to the issue.

I don't truly believe that skin color was ever the problem. Outside of a few people, no one has ever truly cared about the pigment of anyone else's skin. The problem people have isn't the color of the skin, it is what the color of skin represents.

Many have associated blacks with being stupid, or being violent. Many associate blacks with different cultures or different values. The opposition to blacks is simply an extension of a distrust of blacks, or really, a distrust of people who aren't like you. And even more, a desire to keep your children/family away from people who you don't trust, or who are different than you.

For instance, Jews are white(at least the Ashkenazi Jews of Europe). But racists hate Jews as well. John Stewart is whiter than me and has blue eyes. It isn't about pigment, it is about people who are different. Especially, people who are different and whose differences tend to be viewed negatively.

I know racist racist racist people, who throw the N-word around all day without much thought. Then they will have some co-worker who is black that they really like, and they don't even consider them as being black. The reason is because that black person effectively "acts white". Usually they are smart, relaxed, well-mannered, and speak well. In most cases, if you closed your eyes you wouldn't even know they weren't white.

On the other hand, white people who are "thugs" or "ghetto". White racists tend to hate them just as much as they do black thugs. They call them wiggers, white trash, embarrassments to their race, etc.

Where the problem with race comes in, has to do with the way the brain works. All humans make assumptions about a person's character by their appearance. What kind of clothes they wear, the way they talk, the words they use, if they are overweight, have clean or missing teeth, if they appear clean. The color of the skin makes you assume certain things, just like other things about a person's appearance makes you assume certain things.

And while I recognize that you can't change your skin color like many other things. I have a tendency to think all kinds of things about a person based on nothing but their accent. Which is something for the most part, you have no control over. But which has a tendency to tell you a lot about someone's background, values, and personality.

If you hear a really thick hillbilly accent, you don't instantly think rocket-scientist or philosopher. The same goes for a ghetto accent. If my doctor walked in with a ghetto accent, regardless of the color of his skin, I would walk out of the hospital. Whether or not that is fair, that is just the way it is.

In regards to self-segregation. It isn't that people are segregating by race necessarily. What they are really doing is trying to surround themselves with people more like them. This usually takes the form of "economic segregation" because most other forms of segregation are illegal. But in most cases, economic segregation tends to have the same outcome as the old racial segregation for those who want to remove themselves from having to be around people who are unlike them. Especially those who they associate as being criminal, stupid, irresponsible, etc. Basically, separating themselves and especially their children from people they perceive as a threat.

I like to get on Stormfront and poke fun at the white nationalists over there. Because they don't seem to recognize that white nationalism is a fake movement. The reason is, white people aren't all the same. Nor do white people really like each other very much. The white-nationalist movement is basically a coalition of desperation in hopes of uniting with people you don't really like, to get rid of the people who you really really don't like. Even if a white nation sprung up tomorrow, in a short period of time they would be throwing out people who aren't white enough. Who aren't Nordic enough. Who aren't Western European. Who aren't Protestant. The Mormons would have to go, the Amish would have to go, and so on and so forth. Just look at Ukraine.

While it might be true that the enemy of my enemy is my friend. They are only my friend as long as I still have an enemy. The moment that enemy is gone, the white-nationalist movement would turn on itself like cannibals.

The truth is, people like being around people like them. Race is just a small piece of that. Without the interference of government, the segregation would go far beyond race.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-20-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Without the interference of government, the segregation would go far beyond race.
The interference of government has often reinforced racism rather than mitigated racism. Jim Crow's an obvious example.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
If you have ever had the opportunity observed a school cafeteria were there are only a hand full of black children you will see that they don't sit together but they are dispersed throughout the room. Why would they sit together when they don't know each other?
That's one of the reasons that made The Brown v Topeka decision clear. In small towns black children did not segregate themselves socially.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:18 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
It gets more weird at times: I was dating a lady who's race was hard to tell by looking at her. Her skin color is def "white", exactly the same as me, pasty. She has part "Black", maybe Nigerian, facial features with very wavy hair. Is she Black or white? She self ID's as "white" but flat owns up to the probable Black in her family and ain't ashamed of it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies