Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. "Hispanic" and "Muslim" are 2 biggies like you said since people of ANY race can be either or both.
When did "Hispanic" become a race???

It is a culture.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

It is a culture.
I think that's the point he was making - "Hispanics" can be of any race. So can "Arabs."

Both are cultural heritages, not racial ones.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

It is a culture.
Many news stories when talking about Mexicans and so on refer to them as a "race" even tho a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico and they can be of ANY race.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM

241 posts, read 316,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Lunacy is comparing comparing black kids in an American public school cafeteria with Gay people in an Islamic country.

Minorities are always asked to use race as an abstraction when they are denied a job or promotion. When a white person treats you badly ,you should not play the race card so fast. But a group of kids sitting together in a room, race is the reason,not that they live in the same neighborhood or all ride the bus to school together.
I love terms like the "race card." Anytime something racists happens and anybody mentions you can always say "STOP PLAYING THE RACE CARD" and magically marginalize any argument. Real estate agent only shows black families homes in predominantly black neighborhoods, Race Card! Unequal sentences for minorities and whites who commit the same crime, Race Card! Same resumes but the one with the name Johnathan Carter gets called back 5 times as much as the one with the name Tyrone Jackson, Race Card! See how easy it is to marginalize racism. Good work sir.

I think America is becoming more diverse in the middle class interracial marriage is up, more people have a close friend of a different race and more workplaces are integrated. The problem is that the poverty areas are becoming less diverse, being mostly minorities they are cut out of the melting pot.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Many news stories when talking about Mexicans and so on refer to them as a "race" even tho a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico and they can be of ANY race.

By and large, the news is populated and delivered by idiots.

Agenda drives all racial discussion and classification in the government, media and academia.

Where it is advantageous for the narrative or agenda for Mexicans (or "Hispanics" in general) to be conceived as a separate and distinct oppressed "other," they will be so.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS14 View Post
Unequal sentences for minorities and whites who commit the same crime, Race Card!
It's not only the crime that is considered when an offender is sentenced. The offender's criminal record and contribution to society are factored in, as well. First offense? taxpaying citizen? Community philanthropist? Lighter sentence. Why? Because such a person benefits society. Criminal record? Repeat offender? Dependent on public assistance? Tougher sentence. Why? Because such a person negatively impacts society.
Quote:
I think America is becoming more diverse in the middle class interracial marriage is up, more people have a close friend of a different race and more workplaces are integrated. The problem is that the poverty areas are becoming less diverse, being mostly minorities they are cut out of the melting pot.
I agree, that's a problem. Kids in that environment need a way out. That's why I advocate school vouchers. Let those who want to climb up and out of poverty do so. Stop trapping those kids in their racially segregated abysmally performing public schools. By trapping them, all we're doing is generating more members of the latter case I described, above.

Minority parents agree!...
Quote:
"Pro-voucher voters among racial minorities overwhelmingly support Barack Obama, but they are baffled by the Democratic nominee's opposition to vouchers. They also say they are frustrated that Democratic leaders appear to be more concerned about keeping the peace with teachers unions -- which adamantly oppose vouchers -- than about finding alternatives that could advance desperately needed education reforms for minority students.

...Public opinion polls also show solid support for school vouchers among minority parents. Sixty-five percent of adult African-Americans and 63 percent of adult Hispanics favor the use of vouchers, according to a national survey conducted earlier this year under the auspices of the journal Education Next and the Program on Education Policy and Governance at Harvard University. In the survey, more than half of minority adults gave higher marks to their local police than their public schools.

"There is no doubt that on this issue, ...Obama has it wrong," Martin wrote."
Education Reform - Obama Questioned On Vouchers

Democrats are VERY wrong on school vouchers, and frankly, minorities are extremely foolish to keep voting for Democrats against their own best interest.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:01 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not only the crime that is considered when an offender is sentenced. The offender's criminal record and contribution to society are factored in, as well. First offense? taxpaying citizen? Community philanthropist? Lighter sentence. Why? Because such a person benefits society. Criminal record? Repeat offender? Dependent on public assistance? Tougher sentence. Why? Because such a person negatively impacts society.
I agree, that's a problem. Kids in that environment need a way out. That's why I advocate school vouchers. Let those who want to climb up and out of poverty do so. Stop trapping those kids in their racially segregated abysmally performing public schools. By trapping them, all we're doing is generating more members of the latter case I described, above.

Minority parents agree!...
Education Reform - Obama Questioned On Vouchers

Democrats are VERY wrong on school vouchers, and frankly, minorities are extremely foolish to keep voting for Democrats against their own best interest.
In my state, we have open enrollment. Kids can go to any school they want in the entire state. No need for vouchers. Just go enroll in that school if that is where you want to go. Few take advantage of it. The ones who do tend to be the more affluent whose circumstances find them in a district they don't like. There are any number of reasons, but the main one is that you have to get to the other schools. They are not down the street in walking distance. The school bus won't take them to another school. They have no way to get home after school, as well. Friends they make in school may live far away now too. I think the open enrollment model should be adopted everywhere - forget vouchers - go where you want. But this is not a solution. It is a stop gap at best. The real solution is to fix neighborhood schools. Sadly, we may be beyond the point where that can be done.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Despite the melting pot and integration promoted by ways of education and the media, self segregation by race still holds true for the vast majority of Americans. many far right writers like Jared Taylor makes fair points that if you go into a cafeteria in universities, or if you look at the segregation by race in churches, or the kind of people you invite over for dinner, racial self-segregation has not changed much. Do you think racial segregation is innate in all humans and that it is healthy and natural or do you think it is caused by America's history and that it is an issue that is dissolving?
People gravitate to their own culture/race/heritage.

You can't force integration.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In my state, we have open enrollment. Kids can go to any school they want in the entire state.
Including private schools? How do they get paid?

Read the example Michelle Rhee relates (excerpt)...
Quote:
"Waiting for “Superman” director Davis Guggenheim did a brilliant job of distilling pretty complicated education policies into easy and understandable terms. But more important, he humanized the problems by following five families in their quest to find a high-quality public school for their children to attend.

One of the most poignant stories was about a little girl named Bianca. Her mother had had a negative experience in the public schools herself. So she was committed to giving her child a better chance. When Bianca was in kindergarten her mother enrolled her in the Catholic school across the street from their apartment, and she worked extra jobs to be able to pay the tuition.

Unfortunately, with the economic downturn, her hours were cut back, and she fell behind on her tuition payments. There is an emotional scene in the movie when Bianca is gazing longingly out the window. It is the day of her kindergarten graduation. She’s watching all of her friends and their families file in for the graduation ceremony, but she’s not allowed to attend. Tears are streaming down her face.
“Remember,” I pleaded, “her mom owed the school money so they didn’t let her go to her kindergarten graduation? How did that make you feel?”

“Ugh, that was awful,” my friend said. “It was totally wrong of the school. It was absolutely heart-wrenching! I mean seriously, I wanted to write the five-hundred-dollar check myself!”

“Right,” I said, “that would be a voucher.”
Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats

Old 05-22-2014, 08:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
People gravitate to their own culture/race/heritage.

You can't force integration.

This I totally agree with. You cannot force integration, as it has to happen naturally. While we're all different, people of all races and colors still want to surround themselves with people who have similar values. Freedom of association. At any rate, we've seen what forced integration has done to old rust belt cities like Cleveland. Look up what bussing (which started in the late 70s and early 80s) did to Cleveland. Middle class whites, along with middle class blacks have fled to the suburbs to escape the increasing crime rate. Not to mention the decline in the steel industry and industrial jobs didn't help either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies