Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 08:39 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Well, yes but the insidious part is where the conditions are created for segregation by this society based on these racial categories and then when it happens, pretending that it is all this natural thing that just happens because people are choosing to self segregate on the basis of race.

Again, the whole idea is very nasty, but that is how white supremacy works, it takes a monstrous idea, that of residential segregation, and makes that idea seem natural and normal and the way things are.

This is why knowing history is so important, because there is NO kinship based on race historically anywhere in the world.

You won't find before the invention of race, any group's identity based on skin color.

So for most of human history if you took those same white Americans who find it so natural to live amongst their own kind in America, and placed them in Europe and placed some in Great Britain and some in Ireland, and some in France and some in Germany, then all of a sudden those same white folks who just naturally want to live around their own kind in America, can't do it and wouldn't do it and wouldn't recognize those other white people as their own kind.

This is what it means when people say something is a social construct. It means that the same people given a different social construct would see things differently.
On point once again. I always say that Africans were not "black" prior to Europeans imposing slavery and colonialism. African peoples (and their descendants) were and still are Yoruba, Hausa, Ibo, Ibibio, Ashanti, Ewe, Fante, Mande, Tuareg and on and on...

Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They shouldn't be allowed to try to keep people out of their communities if those people are able to afford the homes, though.
LOL!

That type of thing went away in the 1960's when the Republicans passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 over Democrat objections,

Quit living in the past.

This is 2014, we have a black president, and are a post-racial society

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
LOL!

That type of thing went away in the 1960's when the Republicans passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 over Democrat objections,

Quit living in the past.

Oh, Harrier.....99% of the time I love your posts.

But, this time I disagree.

I am now a total separatist......I used to say I was a raciest.....then I got a DM asking me some questions.

It was from a black poster on CD....they told me I am separatist...not a raciest.

Maybe so.....this is new to me.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
LOL!

Quit living in the past.

"Open housing" was a contentious issue during the mid-60s in the UMC Republican towns of Bergen County...towns which are ~2 percent black and ~10 percent Asian.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Oh, Harrier.....99% of the time I love your posts.

But, this time I disagree.

I am now a total separatist......I used to say I was a raciest.....then I got a DM asking me some questions.

It was from a black poster on CD....they told me I am separatist...not a raciest.

Maybe so.....this is new to me.
Ok; what IS a "separatist" in your eyes? I ask because an Irishman of "Black" African family is still "Irish" IMHO even tho most of us are "white". Especially if he speaks Gaelic. OTOH: a Hispanic of full Irish family from LatAm is still a "Hispanic" to me even tho she'd probably be of the white race.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yoruba, Hausa, Ibo, Ibibio, Ashanti, Ewe, Fante, Mande, Tuareg and on and on...
Those are social constructs just as much as "black" is.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Ok; what IS a "separatist" in your eyes? I ask because an Irishman of "Black" African family is still "Irish" IMHO even tho most of us are "white". Especially if he speaks Gaelic. OTOH: a Hispanic of full Irish family from LatAm is still a "Hispanic" to me even tho she'd probably be of the white race.
OK....that confused me.

Both sets of my grandparents came from Ireland.

To me a "separatist" wants to live around people that are near the same color as them....and value about the same things.

Things like keeping their yards clean....loving their pets...working to pay their way in life.

Now, I am sure that can be picked a part......but, generally that is it.

Like I said in a earlier post.....this is new for me......I used to like about everyone.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
On point once again. I always say that Africans were not "black" prior to Europeans imposing slavery and colonialism. African peoples (and their descendants) were and still are Yoruba, Hausa, Ibo, Ibibio, Ashanti, Ewe, Fante, Mande, Tuareg and on and on...
Liberia; which WON'T give citizenship to "white" people and lumps all Black Africans together who CAN get citizenship there. Tho if someone wanted to push the issue; ALL of us humans started out in Africa way back in the day so that just goes to show that Jim Crow is still legal in Liberia.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
OK....that confused me.

Both sets of my grandparents came from Ireland.

To me a "separatist" wants to live around people that are near the same color as them....and value about the same things.

Things like keeping their yards clean....loving their pets...working to pay their way in life.

Now, I am sure that can be picked a part......but, generally that is it.

Like I said in a earlier post.....this is new for me......I used to like about everyone.
I think you mixed up "race" with "culture" there. I say that because you'd probably feel better having a quiet Black family as neighbors taking care of business compared to bunch of Shanty Irish hooligans IMHO.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I think you mixed up "race" with "culture" there. I say that because you'd probably feel better having a quiet Black family as neighbors taking care of business compared to bunch of Shanty Irish hooligans IMHO.
Perhaps......I like thing as they are with no neighbors near at all......the nearest is about five miles away.

And that is a summer home.....they are rarely there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies