Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:19 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,322,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Behavioral genetics is one of the most difficult fields of genetics. I would argue that people who self segregate have inherited anti social genes and have a faulty "us and them" receptor. I would expect these people to have higher rates of incest.
What is wrong with people wanting to be with others that are like them????

Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 AM

12,951 posts, read 13,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What is wrong with people wanting to be with others that are like them????
It's anti social behavior which is a genetic disorder possibly inherited.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:35 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,491 times
Quote:
Behavioral genetics is one of the most difficult fields of genetics. I would argue that people who self segregate have inherited anti social genes and have a faulty "us and them" receptor. I would expect these people to have higher rates of incest.
EVERYBODY "self-segregates"

Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 AM

1,634 posts, read 1,208,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The reality on the ground is that class matters, and "merit" is skewed by unequal starting points. Do you really think the average kid 'educated' by Chicago schools got an education of comparable quality to that enjoyed by the average kid from Lake Forest?

If an underachiever from Lake Forest scores 20 points higher on the SAT than an overachiever from Chicago, can you say with a straight face that the preppy kid is the one of greater merit?
First...how do you gauge an "underachiever" and an "overachiever"??

The bigger problem is that people attach location to opportunity. Your logic is one of the big reasons for the cultural/racial divide. The "preppy kids" issues get trivialized because why? Because he had everything every kid could ask for, right?

Ever thought that maybe he would have still scored 20 points higher even in Chicago?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 AM

88,930 posts, read 44,757,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Where are all these scholarships?
Good question. Both of my kids were high GPA National Merit Scholars. All they got was a $2,000 scholarship and nothing else because they weren't URMs or socioeconomically disadvantaged.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Despite the melting pot and integration promoted by ways of education and the media, self segregation by race still holds true for the vast majority of Americans. many far right writers like Jared Taylor makes fair points that if you go into a cafeteria in universities, or if you look at the segregation by race in churches, or the kind of people you invite over for dinner, racial self-segregation has not changed much. Do you think racial segregation is innate in all humans and that it is healthy and natural or do you think it is caused by America's history and that it is an issue that is dissolving?
Hasn't changed much since when?

Seems to me the only people who claim no change are not old enough to remember how it really was long ago. Racism is not dead, or even close to it, but race relations have improved DRAMATICALLY over the past 50 years.

If you want to see a complete change in only a few months or years, then you know nothing of human - and especially American nature.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,820,271 times
It would be great to be surrounded by a variety of different kinds of people but unfortunately I'm not.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:48 AM

16,909 posts, read 10,576,961 times
I don't know if I agree with this. I don't know where the OP lives, but in my area there is not a racial segregation in general. It's true that some races are segregated more than others, but it's not a rule. It seems like black people have the most segregation from other groups - I'm not sure why that is. Other groups here are very mixed - south east Asians, east Asians, whites, Latinos, Jews and many other groups all live in the same communities. Heck, I was a minority in my last community and most people would consider me "white".

Old 05-18-2014, 07:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
OP = appears to me you are just whining about not being considered automatically superior without having to prove it.

Kids in HS have always self segregated based on lots of things besides race. The biggest when I was in school some 6 decades ago was by sex. the girls sat over there and the boys over here. Then there was separation by family wealth, sports cliques, what kind of cloths you wore and bunches more. I tended to sit with the science nerds and ignore the future preppies except for the girls. Them I paid a lot of well reciprocated attention to.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:54 AM

24,835 posts, read 37,322,457 times
Quote:
It's anti social behavior which is a genetic disorder possibly inherited.
How is that anti-social???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.