Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 03:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So find a small low rent warehouse in the "bad" part of town. Should be quite cheap. Then you'll have an actual business address.

But having learned what I have about you in this forum, I have to wonder - are you even running this business legally? Do you have all the required licenses and permits? Are you reporting your income from this business to the IRS? I highly doubt that the answer to any of those questions is "yes."

That is an intriguing suggestion. I've been looking for a small (one room, 10 x 10) office but they're going for $300 or so per month - an added expense comparable to that of upgrading to an apartment.

At what point are licenses and permits required? (It varies, but what are some of the commonly used standards?) Millions of people are selling on eBay and Amazon and lots of other sites, and there seems to be a lot of ignorance out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:44 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So you equate a small business owner with a guy flipping burgers in a fast food joint.

Talk about a leap..............
Yeah, because clearly "nice grocery store cashier grandma" is the same thing as "small business owner." Clearly.

Believe it or not, there are people who work at retail and fast-food jobs because they like being part of the community. They're not all small business owners; they just happen to appreciate the flexibility that these jobs provide and the opportunity that they have.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Honestly, if raising the minimum wage had a snowball in Arizona's chance of fixing anything I would support it. The problem is that it is a completely empty gesture which will have zero long term benefit for minimum wage workers.
Oh i agree, it will just be another excuse to raise prices and keep the status quo. But my point was why even argue against paying our lower waged employees a few extra bucks an hr, when we obviously dont have a problem paying one employee a CEO a million or multi million dollar salary plus muli million dollar bonuses. This logic just baffles me. Some of these CEOs are making more then all there employees combined.

Just my opinion, but this is what is wrong with our country, it not the lack of money or resources that is our problem. We have more then enough for everyone to live comfortable. Its just some think they deserve alot more then others.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It is OFF TOPIC in a minimum wage discussion, and you bring it up EVERY SINGLE TIME.

So whenever someone opposes increasing minimum wage, and proposes an alternative, it should get a new thread?

Old 05-19-2014, 03:49 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Oh i agree, it will just be another excuse to raise prices and keep the status quo. But my point was why even argue against paying our lower waged employees a few extra bucks an hr, when we obviously dont have a problem paying one employee a CEO a million or multi million dollar salary plus muli million dollar bonuses. This logic just baffles me. Some of these CEOs are making more then all there employees combined.
and if she believes that her minimum wage should be $25 / hour, you are going to give the exact same answer?

"Some of these CEOs are making more than all their employees combined?"

Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
If they think the fast food places are not planning an automation, they are crazy on top of stupid.
Momentum Machines | The Next Industrial Revolution

Old 05-19-2014, 03:56 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and if she believes that her minimum wage should be $25 / hour, you are going to give the exact same answer?

"Some of these CEOs are making more than all their employees combined?"
The point was, we shouldn't be even arguing about raising the min wage a few $s when we are willing to pay one person a multi million dollar salary and muliti millions extra in bonuses without outcry every year.

Why do you feel its ok? That any mention of raising wages for low wage employees gets all the fear tactics of raising prices of goods etc. But since 79' we have seen the top 15% wage earners wages grown 32x the amount they made in 79' while everybody elses has pretty much remained the same or dropped. How is this ok?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
The point was, we shouldn't be even arguing about raising the min wage a few $s when we are willing to pay one person a multi million dollar salary and muliti millions extra in bonuses without outcry every year.
What about small business owners? These business owners simply cannot afford $15/ hour minimum wage.

My family owns several franchises and several retail stores. Guess what? I have already let go of several full time employees and I cut all my employees hours because I simply cannot afford them anymore.

This is a market driven economy. Period. If business owners cannot afford these raises, they will either close down businesses or let go of employees. It is what it is.

I am working 11 hours a day 5 days a week and I am not complaining. I work hard for the life style that I have. For any of these people believe that minimum wage can support a family or should support a family are simply delusional.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
The person getting that salary or bonus is directly responsible for increasing the company's bottom line. He brings value to the corporation. Does the pickle placer add additional value that they should get a raise? What does the restaurant owner get in exchange for the higher wages?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:01 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
... and because she is black her boss will not dare fire her for skipping work to protest.
Too funny, also those losers in the video chanting in Spanish need to learn how to speak English, it might help them out when they get fired and have to look for work elsewhere.

Maybe if these "rocket scientists" realized that with limited education, lack of any real work skills they are destined to man the fry machine.

Also they would be a lot better off investing in birth control if they can't survive on what they make.

Next up should be a video on why I deserve a new Ferrari and a Mansion while pressing a buttons 1- 10 for the latest combo meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies