Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Another poet and dreamer. Once she has that type of degree in hand, she'll be wishing she could make $9.25 an hour with it. Next she'll be crying about her student loans and how burdensome they are. I wonder how many kids she has?
... and because she is black her boss will not dare fire her for skipping work to protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Why can't they just tie minimum wage to inflation and factors such as job performance and loyalty?

I would think that someone with 25 years at the same fast-food restaurant and an impeccable attendance and performance record would be worth $15 an hour. But somebody who bounces around, doesn't show up to work, etc. - not so much.

At this point in time, I think the minimum wage should be about $8.25 an hour. This is based on highly scientific Sharks With Lasers exclusive economic studies, but even so...
Good idea. Training wage at current rates, and at 1 year anniversary, they get a 50% bump based on performance. Each location will have a finite number of "full time" positions that everyone competes for.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Did I miss something? I didn't hear her say she had any degrees. She can barely speak. How could she obtain a degree in anything?

However, I would say that a good photographer (especially a commercial photographer) can make good money. I used to work for one.
Yes, you missed something! She said she was working two jobs and going to school. When she graduates, she will have degrees in Humanities and Photography.
WOW, there are two highly marketable degrees! I bet employers will be fighting to hire her!
She would have been better off to get a 2 year degree as a Diesel Technician!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
So her argument for why her employer should pay her more is...?

Raising the minimum wage is nothing but feel-good legislation for those who don't look an inch beyond into the negative side effects of their proposed goodwill. Those higher wages need to come from somewhere, but it seems many people just think money just magically appears when it's needed. Like Spiderman.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
... and because she is black her boss will not dare fire her for skipping work to protest.
Or, if she is a great worker.....her boss can NOT give her a raise.

We have to be fair.....to all.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
It seems to me that McDonalds will cook all their hamburgers in a giant factory in China and FedEx them to the restaurant each day and it would probably be cheaper. They might even taste better. :grin:
This may even pay back our debt and kill people quicker!

Maybe, those people ought to look at going to the next level in the business to get a better wage. If the cashier's make $15.00, shouldn't the GM make $20-$25.00, where does it stop.

I see these people pricing themselves out of work and there goes the Mocha Ice coffee up to $5.00 It's the ONLY thing I like there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yes, you missed something! She said she was working two jobs and going to school. When she graduates, she will have degrees in Humanities and Photography.
WOW, there are two highly marketable degrees! I bet employers will be fighting to hire her!
She would have been better off to get a 2 year degree as a Diesel Technician!
Exactly!! I was talking with one grandparent and her son has been paying 10 yrs for his daughters college years, along with some grants. She has just taken classes as these above and basically no more than basket-weaving classes. Studies with no ending, the school also keeps adding classes that must be taken before moving forward. This has become one of the "money making" schemes in colleges.

My question, how much will these parents have when retirement years happen. Will they have spent all their savings on empty college degrees and their children can't even help them.

Last edited by wildflower82; 05-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 08:38 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Are there any politicians pushing for that amount to be the minimum wage nation wide? I don't think Obama would support a $15 minimum wage.
Why not? Does he think $10.10 is a livable wage?

Election time is fast approaching and we know the dems have nothing to run on, so they will propose more free stuff, and create internal strife thru race and gender baiting, and divide people by income and creating straw men and bogeymen.

Bumping the minimum wage to $10 or $15 an hour will buy votes, from the people who think they will still keep there jobs with a salary increase.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Bur freemkt only wants to rent six square feet to live in and is P.O.'d that he can't find any able or willing to rent such a space to him.

??? I have never had difficulty finding a willing party, my difficulty is in finding a party who is able to lawfully execute a desired transaction.

e.g. I wanted to buy the guest house I was renting, but the owner was not allowed (by government) to sell me the guest house unbundled from the rest of the property.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
I think this sums up the minum wage argument.
pic is linked via html.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This may even pay back our debt and kill people quicker!

Maybe, those people ought to look at going to the next level in the business to get a better wage. If the cashier's make $15.00, shouldn't the GM make $20-$25.00, where does it stop.

I see these people pricing themselves out of work and there goes the Mocha Ice coffee up to $5.00 It's the ONLY thing I like there.
Places like McDonalds and Walmart, where they pay the minimum wage to new starts, see a vast turn over in their employee work force. The people who have good work ethic receive incentives to stay employed, like wage and weekly hour increases. If everyone gets $10 or $15 and hour just for walking in the door there will be little if none of these wage increases for the trusted and proven employees.

If everyone get $10-$15 an hour, or we have this mythical idea of a livable wage, then the incentives and checks and balances, for a great many things in the free market, go right out the window. Why even bother finishing high school if you are guaranteed a "livable wage" just for showing up? I could probably sue an employer fir discriminating against me because I could not read, write, add, subtract and did not know my colors and shapes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies