Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,680 times

Advertisements

And no farm subsidies and any other "hidden" welfare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Better idea. Let's raise the minimum wage and make it impossible for anyone who has a job to collect any sort of public assistance. After all, raising the minimum wage is going to give minimum wage workers a "livable wage" so they won't need welfare anymore, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 04:33 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
And no farm subsidies and any other "hidden" welfare?
Sure thing. After all, if we're going to mess with the economy let's go all out. Meat and produce are too cheap now, anyway, right? Let's go ahead and put the productive people who bring our food to the market in the same bag with the non-productive ones who are unwilling to go out and work for a living. There's no way that can go wrong.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,680 times
All right. Let's eliminate all welfare to working people and all welfare to business but also let's eliminate the mechanism where some states contribute to the federal coffers while some take from it. Let's make every state responsible for itself. Ok?

Quote:
Sure thing. After all, if we're going to mess with the economy let's go all out. Meat and produce are too cheap now, anyway, right? Let's go ahead and put the productive people who bring our food to the market in the same bag with the non-productive ones who are unwilling to go out and work for a living. There's no way that can go wrong.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
All right. Let's eliminate all welfare to working people and all welfare to business but also let's eliminate the mechanism where some states contribute to the federal coffers while some take from it. Let's make every state responsible for itself. Ok?
Good deal!!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 01:09 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Nope it's our business as our tax incentives allow them to realize big profits and our taxes allow the to pay people less, knowing that the state with help out with food stamps and other assistance. Stop corporate welfare - raise the minimum wage....
Why not raise it to 100 an hour

Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Corporations like McDonald's And Walmart Can Afford to pay their workers a $15 per hour wage without raising prices or laying off workers.

Robert Reich: McDonald's And Walmart Can Afford $15 An Hour Wages (VIDEO)
Why Walmart Can Afford to Pay Its Workers Much More - US News
Why Wal-Mart can afford to give its workers a 50% raise - The Term Sheet: Fortune's deals blogTerm Sheet

These low paying large corporations also raise tax rates for all Americans. When workers don't make enough money to live they are forced to use government assistance programs, and its our tax dollars that pay for the government assistance programs.

Infographic: Taxpayers Pick Up the Tab for Corporations that Can Afford to Pay Their Employees More | Center for American Progress
Walmart and McDonalds are already offering 2 million people THE best opportunity they have available. (Otherwise they would not show up for work.)

It is not any employer's fault that a particular employee has failed to make himself or herself sufficiently valuable to the rest of society to pull their own weight.

Why don't you start a business and try paying above-market value for labor, and see how that works out?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Walmart and McDonalds are already offering 2 million people THE best opportunity they have available. (Otherwise they would not show up for work.)

It is not any employer's fault that a particular employee has failed to make himself or herself sufficiently valuable to the rest of society to pull their own weight.

Why don't you start a business and try paying above-market value for labor, and see how that works out?
If their employees are in poverty then how is that the best opportunity? They have made themselves valuable to the company would these companies succeed without them? They are working they are pulling their own weight just because they do not have a high paying job does not make them not valuable.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If their employees are in poverty then how is that the best opportunity? They have made themselves valuable to the company would these companies succeed without them? They are working they are pulling their own weight just because they do not have a high paying job does not make them not valuable.
These companies would survive quite well if their employees walked out tomorrow. They would have new employees the next day, and would at worst suffer a brief period of slower service for their customers while the new employees got up to speed. When you have a very limited set of skills you are quite replaceable. The goal for every worker should be to make it less cost effective to replace them than it is to keep hem. This is done by having a larger skill set and a good work ethic. Not surprisingly, these 2 simple things also lead to raises and promotions.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
...... This is done by having a larger skill set and a good work ethic. Not surprisingly, these 2 simple things also lead to raises and promotions.
Still living in the 20th century? This is the 21st century America and if you come in every day and do your job then when you are 40 your billion $ corporation will reward you with $9.00 an hour and one personal day!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Still living in the 20th century? This is the 21st century America and if you come in every day and do your job then when you are 40 your billion $ corporation will reward you with $9.00 an hour and one personal day!
I started a new part-time job 3 months ago because we're saving money for a home purchase. It isn't anything special, just working midnights in a convenience store (no daycare cost that way). I got a raise after 2 weeks, because I actively look for things that need to be done, cleaned, or fixed. I'm currently looking at a promotion which brings a much heftier raise for the same reason. Haven't decided if I am going to accept yet, as it would mean more hours and I'm not sure if I want to take the time away from my family and my other endeavors, but it has been offered. This is a multi-state corporate chain that I'm working at. Please, tell me more about how having a good work ethic and a diverse set of skills doesn't lead to advancement. I've had one long-term job in my entire life which didn't reward production. Know how I handled that? I got a new job with a better company that recognized when their employees were achievers. Your victim mentality doesn't exist in my world, nor will it - ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies