Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:56 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The libertarian argument against militarism in foreign policy is that a large military establishment necessitates a stronger central government, higher taxes, and greater media control.

If you are interested in exploring these issues further, you can read a lot more at Antiwar.com

It's a libertarian site, but it publishes anti-war analyses from all nooks and crannies of the political spectrum. If you really want a non-mainstream take on US foreign policy, this is the place to go.
In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defence against foreign danger have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

- James Madison, father of the constitution and our form of government.

Read it, learn it, and understand what your federal government is doing to you, by playing team america world police. Our bridges collapse, our roads degrade, our people argue over feeding the poor, and paying for healthcare.

All the while we protect other countries with no viable interest to the national security of these United States, and we pay military contractors obscene amounts of money to do jobs that our military did for years for a far cheaper price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:08 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I've considered myself an Independant Conservative for some time now.
But the older I get the more I find the Libertarian philosophy of paying your bills and keeping your nose out of other peoples business is in line with my way of thinking.

But there's one thing about the Libertarian party's platform that keeps me from officially aligning myself with them.....their namby-pamby foriegn policy.

In a perfect world we would not have to play police force of the world.....
But it's not a perfect world and if we don't assume that role then someone else will.
And personally, I'd rather be the police than be subject to whatever country assumes that role once we abandon it.
Then when you think about it, you are a "national libertarian" and not a universal libertarian. When it comes to the rights of foreign producers of goods and services, you don't consider that in the equation. You see the dimension of freedom as an exclusive criteria only important in your eyes that it be preserved inside the boundaries of the US and its citizens

Old 05-19-2014, 01:05 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Then when you think about it, you are a "national libertarian" and not a universal libertarian. When it comes to the rights of foreign producers of goods and services, you don't consider that in the equation. You see the dimension of freedom as an exclusive criteria only important in your eyes that it be preserved inside the boundaries of the US and its citizens
If you're saying that I put America and American interests first, then you would be correct.
I also think we spend entirely too much on foriegn aid and I have no wish for us to Kow-Tow to the United Nations either.
If that means that we have to spend more taxes on policing the world, then so be it.
The money we save at home with a domestic Libertarian fiscal policy will still put us in a much better financial state that we are currently in.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
If you're saying that I put America and American interests first, then you would be correct.
I also think we spend entirely too much on foriegn aid and I have no wish for us to Kow-Tow to the United Nations either.
If that means that we have to spend more taxes on policing the world, then so be it.
The money we save at home with a domestic Libertarian fiscal policy will still put us in a much better financial state that we are currently in.
Again, we can protect our borders just fine. We started being world police when it was us vs. russia. It didn't happen. Now its a far larger global picture, and we have our fingers in everyones kool-aid.

We need to protect our borders, our country, and leave the rest of the world alone. If they threaten us, or a direct military ally (not Israel), then we should intervene with full force.

Otherwise we should stay home. We have plenty of country here to worry about.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I've considered myself an Independant Conservative for some time now.
But the older I get the more I find the Libertarian philosophy of paying your bills and keeping your nose out of other peoples business is in line with my way of thinking.

But there's one thing about the Libertarian party's platform that keeps me from officially aligning myself with them.....their namby-pamby foriegn policy.

But it's not a perfect world and if we don't assume that role then someone else will.
And personally, I'd rather be the police than be subject to whatever country assumes that role once we abandon it.
well, I am still in my 20s. Pretty much everybody in my family is Republican but I consider myself as Independent conservative as well. Well, younger generation of Republican is what I would like to call myself.

I believe the United States will always need a strong military. But with our national debt exploding at an exponential rate, we simply cannot afford playing world cop anymore.

There are always going to be nutjobs in other countries that want to destroy the United States. In fact, the more we bomb the more they seem to multiply.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I am still in my 20s. Pretty much everybody in my family is Republican but I consider myself as Independent conservative as well. Well, younger generation of Republican is what I would like to call myself.

I believe the United States will always need a strong military. But with our national debt exploding at an exponential rate, we simply cannot afford playing world cop anymore.

There are always going to be nutjobs in other countries that want to destroy the United States. In fact, the more we bomb the more they seem to multiply.
Not to bring up another thread, but if you're for restriction of any right granted in any of the first 10 amendments, you aren't conservative. That'd make you liberal. Nothing wrong with that, but you aren't conservative.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not to bring up another thread, but if you're for restriction of any right granted in any of the first 10 amendments, you aren't conservative. That'd make you liberal. Nothing wrong with that, but you aren't conservative.
I guess labeling is no longer important to me.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
That is not necessarily true. There does not have to be only one police nation. If many nations are strong, it helps keep one nation from dominating.

We have no business being the worlds policeman. I would close 100% of our foreign bases or at least turn them into profit centers. We should reduce our military spending by 50%.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again, we can protect our borders just fine. We started being world police when it was us vs. russia. It didn't happen. Now its a far larger global picture, and we have our fingers in everyones kool-aid.

We need to protect our borders, our country, and leave the rest of the world alone. If they threaten us, or a direct military ally (not Israel), then we should intervene with full force.

Otherwise we should stay home. We have plenty of country here to worry about.
Correct, and we could do it with a 50% reduction in military spending.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
At least you are honest.

Have you thought about what makes a nation strong or great? It’s not pure economic or military power. If a country has the right system and the right spirit, it will correct itself and bounce back, stronger and better than ever.

True respect is earned, not demanded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies