Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty sure that it isn't the us where those flags are being burned.

I don't think that flag burning should be illegal in the us. And I have no opinion at all as to whether flag burning should be illegal wherever that vid was shot.

Well since a Palestinian flag is being waved above the people and yellow flags are being waved in the background, it should give one a clue who (and where) is burning the flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 08:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well since a Palestinian flag is being waved above the people and yellow flags are being waved in the background, it should give one a clue who (and where) is burning the flag.
Yes it does.

The topic is whether flag burning and/or koran-burning should be illegal in the us. My answer is no.

Edited to add - My opinion does not change because some people somewhere in the world hate the american 1st amendment. I'm very fond of it myself.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes it does.

The topic is whether flag burning and/or koran-burning should be illegal in the us. My answer is no.

Edited to add - My opinion does not change because some people somewhere in the world hate the american 1st amendment. I'm very fond of it myself.
OTOH since the video doesn't state where its coming from, for all we know it is a Palestinian community in the US.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:34 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Regarding the thread title: I can't imagine a compelling argument regarding why the burning of such (and similar) items should ever be criminalized.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I personally believe flag burning should be illegal and it should never be protected by 1st amendment right.

1. The flag, does not represent a specific idea or opinion, but rather the entire nation. Flag burning therefore does not express a legitimate form of speech and should be unlawful.

2. Some people may argue that flag burning is a form of freedom of speech and it should be protected by constitution. However, "Shouting fire in a crowded theater" is a popular metaphor for speech or actions made for the principal purpose of creating unnecessary panic. The phrase is a paraphrasing of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.'s opinion in the United States Supreme Court case Schenck v. United States in 1919, which held that the defendant's speech in opposition to the draft during World War I was not protected free speech under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution."

Shouting fire in a crowded theater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Setting flag on fire can cause unnecessary panic as well. As a matter of fact, playing fire in public is very dangerous.

"Horry County Police confirm that a suspect has been taken into custody in connection with today's flag burning at St. James High School.

Horry County Police Lt. Robert Kegler identified the suspect as 17-year-old Nick Newell. According to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center website, he's charged with third-degree arson
. As of Monday night he remains in jail, awaiting a bond hearing.

Teen in custody in St. James High School flag burning - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

3. Burning flag, or religious symbol like bible, cross, or the Koran may have serious consequences.

"Jones' threatened burning of a Quran in 2010 enraged Muslims around the world.

After backing down from his planned demonstration in New York, Jones eventually burned a book at his Gainesville church, which 10 days later sparked riots in Afghanistan, where 20 people died, including seven United Nations workers."

Controversial Pastor Plans to Burn 3,000 Copies of the Quran in Mulberry | TheLedger.com

"Stirred up by three angry mullahs who urged them to avenge the burning of a Koran at a Florida church, thousands of protesters on Friday overran the compound of the United Nations in this northern Afghan city, killing at least 12 people, Afghan and United Nations officials said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/wo...anted=all&_r=0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In circumstances such as the desecration of the flag, the question raised is: How much more will America tolerate-today? In circumstances such as burning the Koran, the question also raised is: How much more soldiers, Marines, and innocent people's lives we can afford to lose? When people decide to revolt against the government and in doing so burn the flag, they fail to understand the American flag is not a representation of the government, yet a representation of themselves. These people fail to comprehend that the freedom they believe themselves to be protecting is a freedom in result of the flag they now burn.

For those who burn the Koran, Are you just saying something or are you trying to incite violence? That kind of becomes the dividing line.

It is just so ridiculous to me that "shouting fire in a crowded theater" is illegal, but burning flag (can clearly cause damage) and burning religious symbol like Koran (can clearly cause violence) are all considered legal in the United States.

Your thoughts?
So now the gubmint is going to decide what is and what isn't a legitimate form of speech?

I don't think any of them should be illegal

Old 01-04-2015, 09:31 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
So burning chunks of cloth is out, but torture's fine. Got it.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:38 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
So burning chunks of cloth is out, but torture's fine. Got it.
Burning flag is legal, torture is not. Your point ?

This thread is not about TORTURE. still cannot get over it?

Old 01-04-2015, 05:13 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
1. The flag, does not represent a specific idea or opinion, but rather the entire nation. Flag burning therefore does not express a legitimate form of speech and should be unlawful.

2. Some people may argue that flag burning is a form of freedom of speech and it should be protected by constitution. However, "Shouting fire in a crowded theater" is a popular metaphor for speech or actions made for the principal purpose of creating unnecessary panic. The phrase is a paraphrasing of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.'s opinion in the United States Supreme Court case Schenck v. United States in 1919, which held that the defendant's speech in opposition to the draft during World War I was not protected free speech under the First Amendment of the United States Constitution."

3. Burning flag, or religious symbol like bible, cross, or the Koran may have serious consequences.
1. What it a 'legitimate form of speech' exactly? Just disagreeing with you? America has freedom of speech for a reason. Burning a flag is to make a statement about the wrongdoings of it's government. North Korea has laws prohibiting speaking ill of the government. We don't, nor should we ever.

2. There's an important difference in the kinds of panic that would occur in these situations. The theater fire one would result in panic because someone had told everyone in the theater that they are in immediate danger. This is going to get a reaction that is almost certainly going to be overwhelmingly negative. Burning a flag is not like that. Any reaction to a flag burning is going to be based on the response of the viewer by their own accord. If I burn a flag in protest of government corruption, and a group of activists sees that as representing anarchy and attack me and my supporters, the aggressor is not me. My action should then not be illegal.

3. Sort of the same point. The aggressor's actions need to be illegal. In the case of religious people, if other people burning your book upsets you to the point of murder (which is likely prohibited in your book our so upset about), then the problem lies with the reactionary rioters, not the person who "started" the riot indirectly.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
OTOH since the video doesn't state where its coming from, for all we know it is a Palestinian community in the US.
Then fine. It's protected under the 1st amendment.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
NOPE, as a Christian I find the idol-worship type reverence for the flag quiet creepy.

I don't "pledge" my allegiance to a flag or country.....that jingoistic nursery-rhyme seems quiet creepy to me also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies