Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM

534 posts, read 904,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Security guard???!!?? WHERE did you get that from???
Christine, do you have A.D.D. or something?? You've just shown me how much you really don't understand this topic of discussion...
I believe that you stated you were a security guard for dignitaries overseas? Forgive my shorthand

Old 05-20-2014, 02:09 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah, it is pretty much simple as that. People need to take the emotion and passion out of the subject of weapons. Giving it all these evil, almost supernatural, attributes. This goes for the gun community as well - it's not a device of power, to scare people, or to impress people (and, fortunetly, most of the gun carrying community is not like that, but a very small minority make it bad for the rest).

Once you do that, it becomes a tool (one of last resort and that you hope never to use) that you simply strap on when you go out, not much different from your cell phone and wallet, except that you obviously need to respect a weapon in terms of safety and never become complacent with it. I don't think about having a gun behind my right hip when I am out, I'm aware of it, I can use it, but I don't dwell on it. There is that corner of the brain where my firearms training resides, but it stays there unless needed, and I otherwise go about my daily life like anyone else.
VERY correctly put, your weapon is MUCH like the spare tire in your car! It's simply a LAST resort tool in your bag of tools. You hate like hell to have a flat anywhere, but can anyone imagine NOT having that spare in their trunk??

Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah, it is pretty much simple as that. People need to take the emotion and passion out of the subject of weapons. Giving it all these evil, almost supernatural, attributes. This goes for the gun community as well - it's not a device of power, to scare people, or to impress people (and, fortunetly, most of the gun carrying community is not like that, but a very small minority make it bad for the rest).

Once you do that, it becomes a tool (one of last resort and that you hope never to use) that you simply strap on when you go out, not much different from your cell phone and wallet, except that you obviously need to respect a weapon in terms of safety and never become complacent with it. I don't think about having a gun behind my right hip when I am out, I'm aware of it, I can use it, but I don't dwell on it. There is that corner of the brain where my firearms training resides, but it stays there unless needed, and I otherwise go about my daily life like anyone else.
Well said...

Old 05-20-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
I believe that you stated you were a security guard for dignitaries overseas? Forgive my shorthand
NO, I SAID u.s. army christine! That means a SOLDIER!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well said...
+1 as well.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Well actually scarab, it's a pretty sad way to go about life if you have to strap on a weapon 24/7. Glad I don't feel the need for that & believe me, I don't live in the safest utopia either.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Well actually scarab, it's a pretty sad way to go about life if you have to strap on a weapon 24/7. Glad I don't feel the need for that & believe me, I don't live in the safest utopia either.
It is isn't it... It's also pretty sad that I have to wear a seatbelt since I don't plan on crashing. Same thing with those pesty smoke detectors , gotta have them though.. and I don't plan on having my house burn down. I also wear a helmet when snowmobiling and ATV'ing.. and I certainly don't plan on crashing and hitting tree. Such a sad world isn't it ? Some choose to be prepared for any situation, some don't. Thing is , I'm not judging you for not being prepared...

Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Lol, you can't really be prepared if someone shoots you first but ok!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 PM

534 posts, read 904,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
VERY correctly put, your weapon is MUCH like the spare tire in your car! It's simply a LAST resort tool in your bag of tools. You hate like hell to have a flat anywhere, but can anyone imagine NOT having that spare in their trunk??
So bringing an ar into a restaurant is like having a sparetire ?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, you can't really be prepared if someone shoots you first but ok!
SURE you can! If they don't kill you then you get to return the favor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies