Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I enjoy the fantasy many have that while having a gun pointed in their face, their holstered sidearm will magically take out a robber before the thug has a chance to pull the trigger and shoot them.
And I enjoy the fantasy that it's somehow understandable to be fearful of legal gun owners while at the same time it's cowardly to be fearful of illegal gun owners who might actually do you harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I enjoy the fantasy many have that while having a gun pointed in their face, their holstered sidearm will magically take out a robber before the thug has a chance to pull the trigger and shoot them.
They may get a few shots off. Here's a detailed account with pictures of a robbery that was stopped by a good guy with a gun. My CCW Shooting AAR--Now with More Graphic Pics on pg 29 & 30 - AR15.COM

You may not be able to draw immediately like the guy in the link describes. You have to wait for an opportunity.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am sure you would have whipped out your gun and attacked the robber cause you never go anywhere without your guns strapped to your hips.
Well, that's exactly the purpose of concealed carry. Why so said, can't you get a permit in NJ/NY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Not in florida “No Firearm” signs in Florida have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry
Correct, they have no more force of law than signs saying "No Fishing Poles". It's the same way in many states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No. That is incorrect.

I can carry my Peace Maker .45

Antique arms are legal to open carry.

Man arrested at Texas Capitol for carrying gun | News - Home
Better double check that, the article said:

Quote:
Smith was quickly surrounded by three DPS troopers who gave him a chance to put his guns away. When he refused, they arrested him for disorderly conduct.
Smith was at the capitol for an open carry rally. He and two other men were openly carrying replica black powder pistols.
It depends upon what the Texas legal meaning of antique is.

They carried blackpowder replicas, your .45 accepts common centerfire cartridges, and therefore is probably not an antique under the law, regardless of age, and the fact that it was originally designed for blackpowder cartridges. The law is unclear and poorly written.

Here's another report of that incident, also defending the OC activists:

Texas State Troopers Wrongfully Arrest 3 Men For Legally Carrying Antique Black Powder Guns In Public

Old 05-27-2014, 07:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
any business that wants to ban guns on it's premises in Texas must post certain specific signs in accordance with Section 30.06, so these are called 30.06 signs.

They specify exact wording, size, color, placement, etc, and any business which fails to comply has not banned guns on it's premises.

YMMV
This isn't true.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:54 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
All I know is the Moms Demand Action group are doing a really good job at mobilizing their base on social media. They are now going after Chili's and Sonic to ban guns in their restaurants. For every one pro gun post there are about 10 ant-gun posts.

What are you doing pro gun, pro self defense people? You're slacking.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
All I know is the Moms Demand Action group are doing a really good job at mobilizing their base on social media. They are now going after Chili's and Sonic to ban guns in their restaurants. For every one pro gun post there are about 10 ant-gun posts.

What are you doing pro gun, pro self defense people? You're slacking.
Fantasy victories in cyberspace amuse the keyboard commandos.

I haven't seen an actual sign prohibiting guns inside a restaurant in years.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
its their resturant they can do what they want unless i dont agree with it

Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Fantasy victories in cyberspace amuse the keyboard commandos.

I haven't seen an actual sign prohibiting guns inside a restaurant in years.
Don't under estimate them. That would be a big mistake.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,800 times
Anti-civil rights group? Cute but stupid. Your civil rights protect you from the government not the property owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Anti-civil rights group Moms Demand Action has successfully forced Chipotle to make a statement.

Chipotle: Don't Bring Guns in Our Stores - ABC News

Old 05-29-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Anti-civil rights group? Cute but stupid. Your civil rights protect you from the government not the property owner.
I am a big supporter of property rights, but to be honest, we threw the property rights argument out the window when we started dictating to business owners how they can and cannot run their business. For example, they aren't permitted to allow their patrons to smoke. Where are the property rights of the business owner when it comes to the smoking issue?

When it comes to the gun issue, the Left has no problem with business/property owners being allowed to decide for themselves what to allow and what not to allow, but, when it comes to smoking, they have no problem suspending the rights of property owners. They either have rights or they don't, which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies