Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
So that would be a no, which renders your "conservative schools are cheap?" sarcasm moot. It also means that petch's assertion is likely correct.
It's not a no, nor is his assertion anywhere close to being correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
My mom went to what was then one of the most expensive colleges around. My grandfather paid half of the tuition as part of a divorce settlement, but my mom was on her own for books, fees, and the other half of tuition. She was able to do this - as well as save enough money to put a downpayment on a condo and pay for my parents' wedding two weeks after graduation - by working part time in an accountant's office with full time hours over the summer and on breaks. That job today pays LESS given inflation and requires a college degree.

The college now costs $38K just in tuition and required fees, plus $1000 for books and whatever living expenses cost. How many high school grads will be able to make at least $20K a year part time? My mom was able to live at home for free, but rent is at least $600 (and in this area, that would be with a bunch of roommates), food is at least $150-$200 a month, transportation costs are high since many areas don't have public transit... this list goes on.

The cost of everything has gone up while the barriers of entry are higher and salaries are lower. One can't compare how they got through college 20 or 30 years ago with today.

PS - I say this as someone who earned $200K worth of merit scholarships and graduated from one of the most expensive schools in the country debt free. But my story is rarer today than it was in 2006 when I started college due to sharp drop-offs in alumni giving and much greater demonstrated need from students.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:25 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My mom went to what was then one of the most expensive colleges around. My grandfather paid half of the tuition as part of a divorce settlement, but my mom was on her own for books, fees, and the other half of tuition. She was able to do this - as well as save enough money to put a downpayment on a condo and pay for my parents' wedding two weeks after graduation - by working part time in an accountant's office with full time hours over the summer and on breaks. That job today pays LESS given inflation and requires a college degree.

The college now costs $38K just in tuition and required fees, plus $1000 for books and whatever living expenses cost. How many high school grads will be able to make at least $20K a year part time? My mom was able to live at home for free, but rent is at least $600 (and in this area, that would be with a bunch of roommates), food is at least $150-$200 a month, transportation costs are high since many areas don't have public transit... this list goes on.

The cost of everything has gone up while the barriers of entry are higher and salaries are lower. One can't compare how they got through college 20 or 30 years ago with today.

PS - I say this as someone who earned $200K worth of merit scholarships and graduated from one of the most expensive schools in the country debt free. But my story is rarer today than it was in 2006 when I started college due to sharp drop-offs in alumni giving and much greater demonstrated need from students.
I hate to be rude, but what did you get your degree in? What do you do now?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:28 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Indebted due to tuition inflation and government meddling that this false left-right paradigm perpetuates.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:29 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
This has nothing to do with liberal/conservative and everything to do with ridiculous college costs.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:22 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am fine with getting rid of red lining, that is a racist thing to do, but how exactly was Obama a "pioneering contributor?"

African Americans were also hit the hardest with layoffs during the recession in 2008, so it isn't a surprise that many of them had to foreclose on their homes.

If Bush waited until 2008 to warn people, then he was already too late. Warning someone that their house is on fire after it burned down isn't a warning.

But nice try blaming it on a guy who wasn't even president when the recession happened.

Obama’s lawsuit against Citibank was one element of a national “anti-redlining” campaign led by Chicago’s progressive groups, who argued that banks unfairly refused to lend money to people living within so-called “redlines” around African-American communities.

Government polices, supported by then Senator Obama was intended to help low-skilled Americans especially African-Americans and Hispanic immigrants gain housing wealth by pushing down mortgage requirements, such as down-payments.

But the government policy had the reverse effect, and the housing collapse eliminated much of the wealth held by African-American and Hispanic families.

fact-check-obama-had-more-to-do-with-2008-economic-meltdown-than-bush-ever-did/

Report: Government are responsible for housing bubble

Any time Government gets involved in the name of helping the poor they end up causing more poverty

Obama sure is good at creating more poor.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 AM

Want to buy a home? You're in luck! President Obama is ramping up the country for housing bubble 2.0 as he urges banks to loan to people with poor credit so they can purchase a home. What could go wrong? Oh just about everything. And don't worry, the government is going to promise banks everything will be just fine.

obama-pushes-for-housing-bubble-2.0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/obama-administration-pushes-banks-to-make-home-loans-to-people-with-weaker-credit

Old 05-23-2014, 01:32 AM

And, yes, Bush continued Clinton’s policies — but did try to rein in Fannie and Freddie in his later years, before the meltdown. But Democratic barons in Congress like Rep. Barney Frank balked at stopping the train before the wreck.

Bubba & the housing bubble | New York Post

Old 05-23-2014, 01:34 AM

Barack Obama was a pioneering contributor to the national subprime real estate bubble—the attack dog that terrorized banks to make mortgage loans that they did not want to make.

According to research by TheDailyCaller, about half of the 186 African-American clients in President Obama’s landmark 1995 mortgage discrimination lawsuit against Citibank have since gone bankrupt or received foreclosure notices. As few as 19 of those 186 clients still own homes with clean credit ratings, following a decade in which

Obama and other progressives pushed banks to provide “booby trap” adjustable rate mortgages to poor African Americans.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 AM

The housing bubble and later collapse was caused by government interference in the marketplace. Bad loans were made to people who had no business getting loans.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results” (Albert Einstein). 2013, Obama to loosen lending standards to boost home ownership. What could go wrong?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/obama-administration-pushes-banks-to-make-home-loans-to-people-with-weaker-credit

Last edited by petch751; 05-23-2014 at 01:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies