Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Let's keep patting ourselves on the back, shall we! Regardless of how irrelevant it is to the issue.
It's also dead wrong. In the past, states supported higher education, keeping tuition affordable for students. As state budgets have gotten tighter, the first thing to get slashed was higher education spending.

A Truly Devastating Graph on State Higher Education Spending - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

And that's just a tiny slice of something that's been happening for at least a decade now.

We've somehow decided that investing in public education isn't a priority and decided to shift the cost directly onto the students. Then people have the audacity (or sheer stupidity) to say that the problem is really federal student loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and what is the bolded?
Here you go lily

ohana means family , lilo and stitch - YouTube

Old 05-21-2014, 07:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
well I had my parents paying my college education. But there are a lot of people who are not as fortunate as I am. Don't be so near sighted, when government is not investing in education, we all lose. But then again you will never admit it.
And then there's the option some of us made -- work your way through college.

How many of these college students that took out big loans have iPhones and unlimited text messaging? How many own video game players with a big collection of expensive video games? How many chose to make car payments while in college? How often did they eat meals out, go to concerts? Wild spring break vacations?

People go to college so they can make big money, why should others have to pay for them?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And then there's the option some of us made -- work your way through college.

How many of these college students that took out big loans have iPhones and unlimited text messaging? How many own video game players with a big collection of expensive video games? How many chose to make car payments while in college? How often did they eat meals out, go to concerts? Wild spring break vacations?

People go to college so they can make big money, why should others have to pay for them?
well I think you missed my point. I never said some people should pay for others higher education.

I just said government should "invest in" education. e.g. Not make interest of student loan 6.75% or higher than that.

That's all.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
well I think you missed my point. I never said some people should pay for others higher education.

I just said government should "invest in" education. e.g. Not make interest of student loan 6.75% or higher than that.

That's all.
The government gets it's money by confiscating it from those who worked for it.

A college degree will get you a much higher paying job -- it sounds like something one would invest in themselves. Who should be paying more taxes so the college students neither have to work for it or pay back their loans?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 AM

And everything the government subsidizes for some only gets more expensive for others.

There is no good reason at all for the skyrocketing tuition -- other than greed of the great university-industrial complex.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
And the class of 2015 will probably have even bigger debts.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The Class of 2014 Just Made History in the Worst Imaginable Way - PolicyMic

I predict my generation will be the first that is worse off then the prior generation.
The link makes it clear that average student loan debt has increased ever year, for the past 20 years.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is what happens when government gets involved in the name of helping the poor. Government dabbling drives costs up and makes more poor people.
It depends on the government. Most nations in the developed world provide financial assistance to students. Yet the cost of that education is rarely as costly as it is in the US.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's also dead wrong. In the past, states supported higher education, keeping tuition affordable for students. As state budgets have gotten tighter, the first thing to get slashed was higher education spending.

A Truly Devastating Graph on State Higher Education Spending - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

And that's just a tiny slice of something that's been happening for at least a decade now.

We've somehow decided that investing in public education isn't a priority and decided to shift the cost directly onto the students. Then people have the audacity (or sheer stupidity) to say that the problem is really federal student loans.
The US spends on K-12, not college.

Foreigners seem to have no problem paying the tuition and their tuition is much higher than resident or out of state tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies