Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,443,587 times

Advertisements

Article about the state of Ohio's efforts.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20071212/ts_csm/ahousethree (broken link)

The "free market" has screwed this thing up so badly. When this many homes become at risk, an entire region's economy can pay the price, so don't be surprised when then politicians have to get involved after the fact, all of which was unnecessary. G-R-E-E-D.

The "full cost" of inaccurate, fraudulent, or inappropriate mortgage originations has been shifted from the perps in the private sector to the GOVERNMENT. Cost-shifting is how those parts of the private sector that can't make a decent profit from normal operations avoid going out of business.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 12-12-2007 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:05 AM

No comments yet from the right-wingers. Interesting.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:10 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,156,651 times
Heck - we are too busy doing deals

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,131,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yeah. I'm just watching the market crash. Then I'm going to talk to the above poster about what I need to get a mortgage. Since he's a broker and all.

(see, I remembered!)

Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,897,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
haha... hold while I finish buying my new home from a bank repo. I'll be back in a little to make a comment about her getting a bail out at the taxpayers expense.. The liberals should be happy

Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,897,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

The "free market" has screwed this thing up so badly. When this many homes become at risk, an entire region's economy can pay the price, so don't be surprised when then politicians have to get involved after the fact, all of which was unnecessary. G-R-E-E-D.

The "full cost" of inaccurate, fraudulent, or inappropriate mortgage originations has been shifted from the perps in the private sector to the GOVERNMENT. Cost-shifting is how those parts of the private sector that can't make a decent profit from normal operations avoid going out of business.
Park.. this points out several issues.
1) The STATE of OHIO created a program to help, exactly how it was intended to be. Not the federal government
2) What does GREED have to do with a bank, requestion their money back that they loaned to Figueroa?
3) I know someone who got one of these bailouts, almost $10K.. She lost the house 4 months later after not continuing to pay her mortgage. Know where that $10K went.. she went on vacation, bought a new car, went Christmas shopping (last year). Yeah, those kids enjoyed their last christmas in that home.
4) Ok, its greedy to expect your money back, but not sure what the banks GREED has to do with her divorce, please explain because this looks more of a bailout of the bank, not the lady who got a divorce, after all, GREED didnt cause the banks to loan money to someone who would ultimately get a divorce.

Story would have been so much better had it talked about someone losing their home because their $35K yearly income wasnt enough to pay their adjustible mortgage on their $600K home.. no wait, no that wouldnt have made the argument of greed to the bank, that would have said,, greedy homeowner, who wants more then they can afford, and the stupid bank for giving it to them.

Not sure what type of reaction you were expecting from people who lean right, but even I support responsibility of the banks.. They made stupid loans, they should foreclose and pay when they sell them at a loss.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-13-2007 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,259,912 times
Quote:
No comments yet from the right-wingers. Interesting.
If your problem is with the government bailing this out I won't fight you on it. It's pure bull*****.

If you're trying to make some liberalized statement against the free-market lending that occurred I'll remind you that there are many a people who knew what the score was and not to sign these crappy loans and waited, or bought homes they knew they could afford......

Too many homes being lost or foreclosed on??? Well considering it was primarily speculators that fueled this boom, I'm not going to whine and cry over a bunch of "get rich quick" types that got caught with their peters in the pool pump....

The theory of the Free Market isn't just some rampant business of forcing people to take money and screwing them. That isn't how this happened for the most part. Those that took these loans banking on their property values going up so they could refinance out of their balloon mortgages later got caught trying to burn the system by getting more house than they can afford.

So "No Conservatives willing to comment??". You find that "interesting", do you??? Well I'd just remind you that part of the free-market involves reaping what you sow, so no, I as a Conservative really don't have a problem with what is occurring, other than the government becoming involved in "helping" people out of this crisis.... Again if that's your point than I agree so there would be no need to refute this.....

Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,531,317 times
Quote:

In other words, individual consumers will bear the brunt of the home mortgage collapse, while the institutional lending industry will get a government crutch to lean on.

Seems to me that lenders were the more sophisticated parties to these deals, and were MUCH more knowledgeable of the risks. Let them bear the brunt.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,394,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
If you're trying to make some liberalized statement against the free-market lending that occurred I'll remind you that there are many a people who knew what the score was and not to sign these crappy loans and waited, or bought homes they knew they could afford......
If so many people knew what the score was, where were all the federal regulators on this? Why didn't it all show up in mandatory disclosure and other filings and alert officials that things were headed toward an iceberg? It's one thing if a few people lose their homes, but it's quite another situation when the secondary markets start to collapse. Freddie Mac lost $2 billion in the 3rd quarter with more to come. Looks like Citibank will have to eat $22 billion in the short run, while it's a mere $13 billion for Merrill-Lynch and $8 billion for Morgan Stanley. In Europe, UBS will drop about $20 billion, with Dresdner and WestLB taking major hits as well. And now things are starting to look shaky for the asset-backed securities coming out of the auto-financing markets as people trying to keep their homes are starting to forego their car payments. And what were the Bushies doing while all this was going on? Well, perhaps they were all out giving speeches extolling the virtues and blessings of a free-market economy...

Old 12-13-2007, 01:50 PM

Hey, it's a FREE MARKET. Everyone has access to ALL the SAME information at all levels of the financial sector, right? There's no way this thing got all out of whack on its own, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies