Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times

Advertisements

Of course the vast majority won't bother to read the article because although they don't care to know about the actual content of the discussion, they are certain that they don't want blah, blah, blah.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The last time criminal sodomy laws were enforced, which was not that long ago. There are men living today who lost their freedom for liking their own sex.
that isnt enslavement, that is lawless. if they are breaking a law, then they have to deal with the consequences of that action. sorry doesnt count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Their hearts were enslaved in many areas here until relatively recently.
i am sure you can handle the load?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am sure you can handle the load?
The "load"?

Also, I myself am not gay.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 AM

From the article:The Case for Reparations - The Atlantic

Broach the topic of reparations today and a barrage of questions inevitably follows: Who will be paid? How much will they be paid? Who will pay?

But if the practicalities, not the justice, of reparations are the true sticking point, there has for some time been the beginnings of a solution.

For the past 25 years, Congressman John Conyers Jr., who represents the Detroit area, has marked every session of Congress by introducing a bill calling for a congressional study of slavery and its lingering effects as well as recommendations for “appropriate remedies.”

A country curious about how reparations might actually work has an easy solution in Conyers’s bill, now called HR 40, the Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act.

We would support this bill, submit the question to study, and then assess the possible solutions. But we are not interested.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 AM

From the article: The Case for Reparations - The Atlantic

One cannot escape the question by hand-waving at the past, disavowing the acts of one’s ancestors, nor by citing a recent date of ancestral immigration.

The last slaveholder has been dead for a very long time. The last soldier to endure Valley Forge has been dead much longer.

To proudly claim the veteran and disown the slaveholder is patriotism à la carte. A nation outlives its generations. We were not there when Washington crossed the Delaware, but Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze’s rendering has meaning to us.

We were not there when Woodrow Wilson took us into World War I, but we are still paying out the pensions.

If Thomas Jefferson’s genius matters, then so does his taking of Sally Hemings’s body. If George Washington crossing the Delaware matters, so must his ruthless pursuit of the runagate Oney Judge.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Come on, "national debate" is a hell of a stretch.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 AM

From the article: The Case for Reparations - The Atlantic

The marks of that collaboration are all over the New Deal. The omnibus programs passed under the Social Security Act in 1935 were crafted in such a way as to protect the southern way of life.

Old-age insurance (Social Security proper) and unemployment insurance excluded farmworkers and domestics—jobs heavily occupied by blacks.

When President Roosevelt signed Social Security into law in 1935, 65 percent of African Americans nationally and between 70 and 80 percent in the South were ineligible.

The NAACP protested, calling the new American safety net “a sieve with holes just big enough for the majority of Negroes to fall through.”

The oft-celebrated G.I. Bill similarly failed black Americans, by mirroring the broader country’s insistence on a racist housing policy.

Though ostensibly color-blind, Title III of the bill, which aimed to give veterans access to low-interest home loans, left black veterans to tangle with white officials at their local Veterans Administration as well as with the same banks that had, for years, refused to grant mortgages to blacks.

The historian Kathleen J. Frydl observes in her 2009 book, The GI Bill, that so many blacks were disqualified from receiving Title III benefits “that it is more accurate simply to say that blacks could not use this particular title.”

Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I'm too lazy to read this apparently long article.

Does it advocate giving reparations to all black people or only to the black people which had ancestors as slaves here in the U.S.?

Also, did any other country offer reparations for slavery yet?
The article states that West Germany paid $7 billion in today's money to Israel to make up for the Holocaust.
I support the idea of reparations. There is much institutional racism/wealth that whites enjoy. It would be amazing to see how many greedy whites would come out claiming to be 1/16 black in the way that the white "American Indians" claim to have Indian heritage.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The article states that West Germany paid $7 billion in today's money to Israel to make up for the Holocaust.
I support the idea of reparations. There is much institutional racism/wealth that whites enjoy. It would be amazing to see how many greedy whites would come out claiming to be 1/16 black in the way that the white "American Indians" claim to have Indian heritage.
Go ahead. After it's all comes out who got paid already. People would owe money to the tax payer.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:17 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
I'm all for reparations. Lets get to the bottom of it. We'll find out how many Southerners actually owned slaves (about 5% I'd guess) and we'll charge their ancestors the whole bill. Then, we'll also need to answer other questions, such as:

What about black slave owners, do their descendants pay money too?

What about Indian slave owners, are they on the hook as well?

Are the ancestors of Union soldiers, killed in the war to end slavery, entitled to reparations?

Are we able to charge the descendants of the African's who sold the slaves as well? Wouldn't this bankrupt numerous West African countries who supplied the slaves?

Also, will the money be prorated based on the % of white admixture?

What will this money buy us?

How would this affect the black community? In say, one or two generations would this close "the gap"? Would the soft bigotry of low expectations finally be gone from the black psyche?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies