Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:24 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times

Advertisements

Welcome to government healthcare folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 01:26 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The "party" comes first..always.
Defend your party no matter what the news is.
Party comes first, if it's the choice between your life and the party, guess who loses?

78% of the VA is unionized and we know that Obama is owned by the unions. Just like Obama won't fire incompetent people, unions protect bad employees. That should make people feel comfortable with government healthcare.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:43 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Trace -- A bill was proposed in February that would put $45 Billion dollars into the VA system, building new facilities, improving computer systems, decreasing wait times...all the stuff the Right is screeching about now.

Who shot it down? The Senate GOP who refused to vote for it without taking money from elsewhere in the budget...including benefit programs for people who are quite likely vets themselves. They refused to pay for the services they have been claiming for years our Vets deserve because nobody talks a better game than a Senate Republican.
You will need to provide me with a link. As an Obama hyperpartisan, I'm afraid you have zero credibility.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Party comes first, if it's the choice between your life and the party, guess who loses?

78% of the VA is unionized and we know that Obama is owned by the unions. Just like Obama won't fire incompetent people, unions protect bad employees. That should make people feel comfortable with government healthcare.
A "bad employee" is someone who ducks work, comes to work late every day, is rude to co-workers and customers. While that may be happening at the VA, that's not the behavior that is under discussion.

From USA Today:

Administrators responded to appointment backlogs by making wait-time reductions a top priority for incentive pay.

Some hospitals and clinics within the agency developed strategies to "game the system" or "cook the books" by providing false data to meet department objectives, according to whistle-blowers, the Government Accountability Office and internal VA records.

Falsifying records for bonus money is not "bad behavior" - it's fraud. Shredding Federal records to escape detection is criminal behavior. $8.7 Million dollars is not exactly 'chump change'.

"With 12,549 bonuses totaling over $8.7 million at the seven troubled VA facilities during the last three years, executives must answer as to why every veteran didn't receive world-class health care," said Adam Andrzejewski, the site's founder."

Director of Phoenix VA Hospital Where Vets Died from Delays Received $8,500 Bonus in April - Weekly Standard & CNN

Helman got $9,000 in 2013 (her numbers must have slipped a bit) and another $8,500 after the investigation began - these bureaucrats don't even know what they are doing or are totally tone deaf to hand out big bonuses while this is hitting the news. Shinseki immediately said it was a "administrative error" after the Media exposed the most recent bonus. I think we can agree that errors are certainly being made, unfortunately they take no action without some Sunshine. This "cook the books" business is standard procedure when all they really care about are the numbers that go in some report.

Helman is on leave, with 3 others ..... with pay of course. The same was true of Lois Lerner.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
right! Instead we can keep them here and let them fight the terrorists and invaders as they cross our "unmanaged" borders and just blow up everything in sight, including us citizens.

We tried not going after them in their own country and what did that get us? At least 20 attacks starting with kidnapping our people in iran in 1979, the attacks on the barracks in lebanon in the early 1980's and on and on until 9/11. Don't forget that the attack on la was stopped that was supposed to followup 9/11 and more have been stopped here in america since. Those attacks that were planned pretty much came to a halt when we went into iraq and afghanistan and went after those terrorists on their homeland. The mistake we made was in our people not understanding that those terrorists are led by the "clergy" in the middle east. That's who should have been stopped right at the top along with the terrorists, both groups and individuals. It is pretty easy to determine which clergy are the true muslim religious leaders and which are the power-grabbers who pursue evil.

What happened to the patriotic citizenship of america that understands freedom is not free. Where is the understanding that we (american citizens) have to continually stop those that would try to destroy our wonderful country. It cannot be done by sticking our heads in the sand, listening to a bunch of idiot professors in our educational system who never did much in their lives but read books and have their minds warped so they could following sol alkinski's communist doctrine...and that's just for starters.

One more thing here...if it weren't for wall street, most of those of us who are retired and had sense enough to save for that retirement would not be able to take financial responsibility for our retirement. It is the "interest" earned on our savings that keep us going to pay the bills. Of course, dodd/frank and obama have tried their best to destroy that, but i do believe we will survive this mess and get back on our feet.
lol

Old 05-25-2014, 03:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
This isn't a new issue. McCain brought it up in the 2008 campaign favoring giving veterans a card that could be use at local hospitals instead of this massive under performing healthcare system for VETS. Most liberals would like the same system for civilians.
McCain would just as well get more of them killed and not have to worry about treatment.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
I already did provide a link...and my 'credibility' doesn't depend on what you think of me, now or ever.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:02 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
That's fine.

What have you and/or the Democrat Senate proposed to address the VA?

Nothing? I figured as much. So, you're basically whining about people trying to do something about the problem without having any plan of action whatsoever. Yeah, you're definitely a Democrat hyperpartisan. If you were actually "up in arms" about the VA situation, you'd be doing something other than running interference for the obstructionists in the Senate led by Dirty Harry.
What exactly should I do ? Meet with Harry to propose a solution ?

You can't help yourself from seeing the issue as a partisan. I'm no more defending Reid or the D's than you are.

My plan would be to find some sensible members of Congress who'd work out language to give the Secretary greater authority to fire or suspend without pay Without giving him authority to fire anyone he doesn't like and turn VA management into a political club. Sometimes the solution [see Obamacare] is worse than the problem.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:22 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist but I suspect the VA guy hasn't been fired because he threatened the administration with papers that indicate the WH administration was behind the bad actions taken by the VA department... no reason, not to fire him... unless it makes you look bad as the ones really who is responsible...

Old 05-25-2014, 07:14 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Maybe I am a conspiracy theorist but I suspect the VA guy hasn't been fired because he threatened the administration with papers that indicate the WH administration was behind the bad actions taken by the VA department... no reason, not to fire him... unless it makes you look bad as the ones really who is responsible...
It won't matter. In the end someone will take the fall and even if it's one of the higher ups it won't matter cause the person will probably already have a guaranteed government pension.

This is how the political game works. Like the IRS woman Lerner. She "retired". Duh. I bet she wouldn't be "retiring" if she was less than 1-2 years from full retirement package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies