Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Having a business to reduce taxes happen with the system we have now.

IMO.....everyone should have a small business...it works....and I do not mean cheating on taxes.
Yep and it could potentially continue under the FairTax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times
Having a business to reduce taxes would also reduce taxes at the local level, where it is more likely to raise suspicions. It would, therefore, become policed at the local level and the Feds would not have to expend any enforcement money.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Having a business to reduce taxes would also reduce taxes at the local level, where it is more likely to raise suspicions. It would, therefore, become policed at the local level and the Feds would not have to expend any enforcement money.
Suspicion of what???

There is nothing illegal about it.

As long as all of the investment is at risk.....and you participate.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Suspicion of having a business for the sole reason to evade taxation as opposed to having a business designed to generate an income through selling something or providing a service.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 AM

15,841 posts, read 14,469,933 times
I heard of this before, I haven't read back the 15 preceding pages, but these are the issues I always see with this:

1). Any sales tax rate high enough to fund the operations of the entire federal government would spawn huge black markets to avoid the tax. I would see huge underground barter markets springing up.

2). People with portable sources of income could always just go expat, keep their source of domestic income, but live abroad and not consume in the US. If they're living in some other country, but not earning money or taking citizenship there, I don't know how they'd be taxed locally, but people in the position to do this could shop for countries where this would work best. By percentage of population, the numbers of people who could do this are probably pretty low, but by percentage of total income or net worth, it may be fairly high.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Propped up??

How so???

We put a lot of money in the economy.
I was speaking in general. If your business is sound then why should you get any breaks from the government?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I heard of this before, I haven't read back the 15 preceding pages, but these are the issues I always see with this:

1). Any sales tax rate high enough to fund the operations of the entire federal government would spawn huge black markets to avoid the tax. I would see huge underground barter markets springing up.

2). People with portable sources of income could always just go expat, keep their source of domestic income, but live abroad and not consume in the US. If they're living in some other country, but not earning money or taking citizenship there, I don't know how they'd be taxed locally, but people in the position to do this could shop for countries where this would work best. By percentage of population, the numbers of people who could do this are probably pretty low, but by percentage of total income or net worth, it may be fairly high.
1) Bartering "new" products? Only new products would be subject to the tax. Why barter used stuff when you could get cash for it? I don't have anything in my possession that is "new" that I could sell or barter. As far as black markets go, if someone opens a legitimate business and sells under the table they will likely get caught eventually. The only successful secrets are the ones that are only known by one person.

2) If the economy takes off under this system, how many people will find it is better to live elsewhere?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
How would a New Fair tax plan treat payments to pay off debts incurred under the Income Tax system? If not taxed, I could see how a lot of people would be getting out of debt a lot faster.
Paying a debt is not purchasing a good or service. So it wouldn't be taxed.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I was speaking in general. If your business is sound then why should you get any breaks from the government?
I would have to know what breaks you mean??

Old 05-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Having a business to reduce taxes happen with the system we have now.

IMO.....everyone should have a small business...it works....and I do not mean cheating on taxes.
The world won't work if everyone has a business. You need employees -who are usually people that want to work a job and get paid for it. They don't have the desire to operate a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies