Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your contribution to save the planet?
Ride a bike 6 17.65%
Vegetarianism 2 5.88%
Happy Consumer 23 67.65%
Unhappy Consumer 5 14.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 PM

663 posts, read 503,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep....the Earth pollutes itself......the Earth heals itself.
When you are wiping out forests and building parking lots it's impossible for Earth to heal itself. Desertification adds to the problem and very soon you'll have a hungry population flooding the rich north.

But living in a bubble is nice while it lasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Nice. What an irony that the best bike facilities are found in cold places. People ride bikes in Denmark in -10 deg C. They have bike counters so you know how many people take advantage of the facilities.

America is a lost cause. All the money goes down the black hole of corruption, and "bike facilities" are a ripoff. In Ecuador they have made these awesome bike lanes separated from traffic.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
And this is bad/good/ugly?
Any system that goes to the extreme it would be a failure. No competition (communism) or too much competition (hardcore capitalism) is bad.

You may listen here why too much competition is bad for you:

BBC World Service - The Why Factor, Competition

And it starts by analyzing the monkeys, and how they behave like us. We are the subject of "experiments" where advertising make us behave one way or another, even driving an a jungle-ready SUVs in the middle of a city. The hope is there's another facet to the monkey where they want to HAVE FUN, instead of playing power games.

I'm analyzing the human species from a vantage point high in the trees.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
When you are wiping out forests and building parking lots it's impossible for Earth to heal itself. Desertification adds to the problem and very soon you'll have a hungry population flooding the rich north.

But living in a bubble is nice while it lasts.
You do realize the earth is a planet and doesn't care if we are here or not, don't you?

Wiping out forests and adding parking lots kills us not the earth.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Any system that goes to the extreme it would be a failure. No competition (communism) or too much competition (hardcore capitalism) is bad.

You may listen here why too much competition is bad for you:

BBC World Service - The Why Factor, Competition

And it starts by analyzing the monkeys, and how they behave like us. We are the subject of "experiments" where advertising make us behave one way or another, even driving an a jungle-ready SUVs in the middle of a city. The hope is there's another facet to the monkey where they want to HAVE FUN, instead of playing power games.

I'm analyzing the human species from a vantage point high in the trees.
I'm only concerned with self-determination really.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I'm only concerned with self-determination really.

The Political Compass explains that: AUTHORITARIAN/LIBERTARIAN.

It all boils down to two factors: COMPETITION/COOPERATION is one, and AUTHORITARIAN/LIBERTARIAN is another.

In America you must compete with the monkeys until nothing works. Analyze how dysfunctional our freeways are and see how easy it would be to introduce cooperation, as simple as making passing on the outside lane mandatory.

We are literally fighting for survival (road rage) without knowing why. Only the monkey sitting high in the trees knows why.

In a social environment it could be like this:

http://www.epmmop.gob.ec/epmmop/imag..._ciclovias.png

Old 05-27-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
You do realize the earth is a planet and doesn't care if we are here or not, don't you?

Wiping out forests and adding parking lots kills us not the earth.
This is the ultimate question:

Would you willfully destroy the Earth?

Do you understand that not only you are destroying the human species but also you are denying the human being his humanity?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND WE ARE A BIPEDAL SPECIES AND WHAT IT MEANS FOR US?

Do you understand that we became human because we stood on two feet? Do you understand we need to walk? Do you understand that it's often the case that the bicycle is more efficient than walking in the American sprawl?

ARE YOU HAPPY SEEING THE MONKEY IN THE CAGE?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:26 PM

> Bike Rules New York City - Business Insider

Very good advice. I may not even bike in NYC though. I would try to use my bipedal capacity on foot. It has to do with the weather in winter and the convenience of walking in and out of stores, being among people, etc.

On the other hand it's totally impractical to walk in Florida or any other place with sprawl and no people.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
This is the ultimate question:

Would you willfully destroy the Earth?
My will is to live.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
My will is to live.
I feel alive when I do something physical in the sun, something as simple as walking. I take a bike ride with my two dogs and that's when I feel alive. If I go in the car is not nearly the same thing.

There's a difference between LIVING & SURVIVING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies