Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by land161 View Post
Yet European countries like the UK and the Scandinavian countries have already found a solution this. I guess it just means that they are more civilized than the US.
Since I lived in one of those 'European countries', want to know the solution?

There are none.

There are many, many murders by knife, hands, feet etc. etc.

Don't bother with the 'numbers' game either!

Like the Obama administration .. they are falsified numbers.

For example .. If someone were to kill 2,3 or a hundred people and it all took place at the same site, on the same day .. That is counted as '1' crime stat.

Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive

Quote:
Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population).
Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive | The American Civil Rights Union

Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Since I lived in one of those 'European countries', want to know the solution?

There are none.

There are many, many murders by knife, hands, feet etc. etc.

Don't bother with the 'numbers' game either!

Like the Obama administration .. they are falsified numbers.

For example .. If someone were to kill 2,3 or a hundred people and it all took place at the same site, on the same day .. That is counted as '1' crime stat.

Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive

Harvard Study: Gun Control Is Counterproductive | The American Civil Rights Union
You mean the "facts" game, right? Right-wingers never want to play that one.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I agree! How sad to see that a person who just lost a child is mocked and criticized in such cruel fashion. We're becoming a country of all hate all the time.
That's a broad brush.

Politicians nor the NRA could have prevented this
tragedy. Why the father, in his time of grief,
chose to use that grouping perplexes me.

How often the media will use it, is a different story.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You mean the "facts" game, right? Right-wingers never want to play that one.
You are, of course accusing Harvard of being Right Wing?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Yet European countries like the UK and the Scandinavian countries have already found a solution this. I guess it just means that they are more civilized than the US.
Really seen the rape statistics?

How is it civilized to disarm women, and prevent them from having the ability to defend themselves against a rapist?

How is civilized to punish the public for the actions of a handful of criminals?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 PM

16,583 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is impossible to say how many will have to die, but every incident like this moves us closer to the day when guns - all guns - will be confiscated and possession of them made illegal. The NRA opposition to sensible gun control will ironically hasten the day that happens.

You don't really believe that, do you?

I think you and other like minded people might have trouble getting past that little thing we value in this country, that being the Constitution of the United States of America.

Thanks for the list, and I will assume you have read them as well.

I will take the time to perusal those links except for the worthless Wiki one. Will you take the time to pick up the book I recommended either at the store or the library?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:06 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I agree! How sad to see that a person who just lost a child is mocked and criticized in such cruel fashion. We're becoming a country of all hate all the time.
I will note that, from looking in on this thread from time to time today, I observed that, whereas the OP was speaking of the father of one of the victims shot by the murderer, many posters jumped to the conclusion that the OP was speaking of the father of the murderer. It did not help matters when the OP seemingly also became confused, and started writing about the father of the murderer.

I agree with the very few sensible posters who pointed out that the father of the victim, being in the first stage of heart-rending grief, should not be judged as being in full command of his faculties.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM

16,583 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
You might find this interesting, assuming you are open-minded.

UK Fiddles Crime Stats: This Isn't the Gun-Free Paradise the Antis Are Looking For | The Truth About Guns

`

Old 05-25-2014, 05:10 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is impossible to say how many will have to die, but every incident like this moves us closer to the day when guns - all guns - will be confiscated and possession of them made illegal. The NRA opposition to sensible gun control will ironically hasten the day that happens.
And knives and BMW's.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Just a small 'snippet' from the Liberal Harvard article:

Quote:
Approaching the matter from a different direction, the earliest data (nineteenth
century on) reveals that the American jurisdictions with the most stringent gun controls are in general the ones with the highest murder rates.

Conversely, American states with homicide rates as low as Western Europe's have high gun ownership, and impose no controls designed to deny guns to law‐abiding, responsible adults. Many possible reasons may be offered for these two facts, but none suggests that gun control reduces murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies