Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 02:06 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
No, the reasonable step is to alert the authorities and let a court of law determine if a person is a danger. A therapist/psychologist should not have the ability to strip away someone's civil rights.

How quickly some hand over freedom astonishes me sometimes.
This guy was seeing two therapists, and the police came to question him.

So exactly hows what you're saying above work?

Just because someone is mentally ill does not mean they are a danger. Thats a very tough cookie to crack. We can just lock up all people with mental illness, would probably be better for the species to keep them from breeding anyway, but that would cost an obscene amount of money. We could take away everyones guns, but that isn't going to happen.

Truth is, its a dangerous world, people die. Freedom isn't free. Those who would trade essential liberty for a moments safety, deserve neither.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:06 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
No, the reasonable step is to alert the authorities and let a court of law determine if a person is a danger. A therapist/psychologist should not have the ability to strip away someone's civil rights.

How quickly some hand over freedom without due process astonishes me sometimes.
I agree with your first sentence. However, we all know that severely mentally ill people are unpredictable. How do you know when will they become "dangerous". We only take guns away from them, to protect themselves and others.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:07 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Figures. Do you know how many people go into fits of rage when black guys bang white girls?
Especially when terms like "bang", "tag", and other crass and disrespectful terms are used to describe the encounter. My backles go up, big time, when ANY guy talks like that, and when a racial spin gets thrown in for good measure, my teeth threaten to crack. I really don't like having to listen to sexual braggadocio , never did, even when I was young (think that was just like yesterday ). In Rodgers case, the racial aspect was certainly a big part of his problem. Coupled with his frustration and sense of entitlement, which was also denied, and, I'm sure, a host of other issues, a conquest story just sent him spare. In his mind, he was such a "nice guy" type, self described as "beautiful and caring", that in his warped brain, he was acting the role of a dashing knight. I hazard to think, that be might have felt he was "saving" the girls he killed from the deprivations of the Beast.
Who knows, we won't ever find out for sure. I lay no blame on the kid doing the bragging. That kind of thing is common enough. That is in no way saying I condone his words, but its not exactly a rare thing to hear young men speak like that.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:10 PM

Had one of the three knife victims had a hand gun, they could have potentially shot the culprit and stopped the killing.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with your first sentence. However, we all know that severely mentally ill people are unpredictable. How do you know when will they become "dangerous". We only take guns away from them, to protect themselves and others.
No one knows if/why/when someone becomes dangerous or why one person does not commit a violent crime while someone else with the same ailment does. You are asking for everyone that is different to be stripped of basic human rights just in case they might do something someday.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No one knows if/why/when someone becomes dangerous or why one person does not commit a violent crime while someone else with the same ailment does. You are asking for everyone that is different to be stripped of basic human rights just in case they might do something someday.
Then I guess we just have to tell the victim's father, too bad, you son just happened to be in the wrong place at wrong time. Or "Freedom is never free."

It is just .... sad ...

but one thing I do know is this, Had one of the three knife victims had a hand gun, they could have potentially shot the culprit and stopped the killing.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
This guy was seeing two therapists, and the police came to question him.
The reports I've heard, said that the police went to the guy for a "welfare check". That's police talk for "finding out if he's in danger, or if he's mostly not in danger.". It does not mean, "Finding out if he's thinking about killing a dozen people".

They knocked on his door, he answered and talked to them, he didn't seem like he was coughing his lungs out with tuberculosis or bleeding large puddles or slamming his head against the wall. Once they ascertained that he seemed physically OK and not distraught, they left. That's a "welfare check".

We know now that he WAS planning to kill a dozen people or more. But how could the cops possibly find that out?

As I have pointed out repeatedly, government (including police) is not capable of solving this problem.

And the more people try to make them, the more problems they create, while "solving" nothing.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The reports I've heard, said that the police went to the guy for a "welfare check". That's police talk for "finding out if he's in danger, or if he's mostly not in danger.". It does not mean, "Finding out if he's thinking about killing a dozen people".

They knocked on his door, he answered and talked to them, he didn't seem like he was coughing his lungs out with tuberculosis or bleeding large puddles or slamming his head against the wall. Once they ascertained that he seemed physically OK and not distraught, they left. That's a "welfare check".

We know now that he WAS planning to kill a dozen people or more. But how could the cops possibly find that out?

As I have pointed out repeatedly, government (including police) is not capable of solving this problem.

And the more people try to make them, the more problems they create, while "solving" nothing.
Then why did they give him the names and locations for mental illness help?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Seems you are quite willing to have civil liberties taken away from other people because of your perceived fear of violence.

That same sentence could be used on religious extremists or any group of dissenters to the BAU.

"unpredictable" and "becoming dangerous". Doesn't that also describe people with short tempers ? Road rage comes to mind here.

They made a movie about that..put away the criminals before they commit a crime and everyone remains safe.
Eventually the fear and paranoia grow to where everyone is "suspect".

Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems you are quite willing to have civil liberties taken away from other people because of your perceived fear of violence.

That same sentence could be used on religious extremists or any group of dissenters to the BAU.

"unpredictable" and "becoming dangerous".

They made a movie about that..put away the criminals before they commit a crime and everyone remains safe.
Eventually the fear and paranoia grow to where everyone is "suspect".
Seems like you have a solution. Please do tell.

His parents KNEW he was mentally ill, yet, they allowed him to get guns? Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies