Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:24 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
Here is the official website for FCAT or Florida Comprehensive Assesment Test as it stands for..

http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/fcat.htm (broken link)

The site doesn't seem to mention a lot of politics but indeed there are politics involved. Children in schools have always taken standardized testing of some sort. I know I did and you may remember taking them as well. I don't have a problem with standardized testing. It is a good way to get a general idea of where a child stands academically and how much material they have learned.

The FCAT brings standardized testing to an entirely new level though because of the politics involved. Funding is given as a priority to schools who make the highest scores. This raises the stakes involved and it no longer becomes a simple diagnostic tool but a way to penalize or take money away from schools who probably need it most (in my opinion).

I know several teachers and most of them will tell you that they spend the entire year doing nothing but preparing students for this "test". It is harder for them to teach a creative or well rounded classroom curriculum when so much rides on the FCAT. Teachers as well as many students feel enormous pressure placed upon them because of this test. It is given from 3rd through 11th grade so even little ones are taking it.

Now those who think FCAT is a great thing see it like this. First of all, they believe this holds schools and teachers accountable, that the test is a sort of way to determine if the teachers are doing their job. Now my feeling is that teachers like other employees get evaluations and if they are not performing up to standards, then they are dealt with accordingly, but some believe this test is a better benchmark I suppose.

Then the school choice comes into play. Each year I get a letter from my son's school with the FCAT results. If his school gets a low score I am given the option as a parent to take my child out of that school and put him somewhere else, even a private school if I like. Again, many parents think this is fantastic because instead of being stuck sending their child to the "bad" or "poor" school, they can pick any they like. I see it as a way of throwing more money and support to private schools instead of public schools.

I'm sorry my opinion isn't exactly an objective one but I did give the reasons why those in favor of the FCAT support it. Plus, I wonder how many families coming to Florida even know about the FCAT. I think as a parent that it is one of the most important issues to consider if putting your child in a public school in this state. The entire school year revolves around this test and studying for it. It's a very big deal, whether you support it or not.

In my opinion, the FCAT is a waste of time. My son who is a freshman in college, graduated high school from a "A" school and is struggling now how to write a basic paper. He was always in advanced placement classes and got great grades. The year was always spent preparing for the FCAT's. Fortunately, he always never afraid of these tests. He actually told me not too long ago, that in his sophmore year, the kids knew this test did not affect their outcome of applying to college so they all answered the questions just to pass. They put so much pressure on the kids to do well on the tests, but they took away the basics of the three "R's"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 PM

251 posts, read 885,639 times
I agree with what you have said and let me add that I think the FCAT is a joke! If it was such a great test to check if children were being taught well then it would be required in "private" schools and in "home schooled” children. Did you all know that Jeb Bush's brother OWNS the FCAT! Who's padding whose pocket!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewytch View Post
Here is the official website for FCAT or Florida Comprehensive Assesment Test as it stands for..

http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/fcat.htm (broken link)

The site doesn't seem to mention a lot of politics but indeed there are politics involved. Children in schools have always taken standardized testing of some sort. I know I did and you may remember taking them as well. I don't have a problem with standardized testing. It is a good way to get a general idea of where a child stands academically and how much material they have learned.

The FCAT brings standardized testing to an entirely new level though because of the politics involved. Funding is given as a priority to schools who make the highest scores. This raises the stakes involved and it no longer becomes a simple diagnostic tool but a way to penalize or take money away from schools who probably need it most (in my opinion).

I know several teachers and most of them will tell you that they spend the entire year doing nothing but preparing students for this "test". It is harder for them to teach a creative or well rounded classroom curriculum when so much rides on the FCAT. Teachers as well as many students feel enormous pressure placed upon them because of this test. It is given from 3rd through 11th grade so even little ones are taking it.

Now those who think FCAT is a great thing see it like this. First of all, they believe this holds schools and teachers accountable, that the test is a sort of way to determine if the teachers are doing their job. Now my feeling is that teachers like other employees get evaluations and if they are not performing up to standards, then they are dealt with accordingly, but some believe this test is a better benchmark I suppose.

Then the school choice comes into play. Each year I get a letter from my son's school with the FCAT results. If his school gets a low score I am given the option as a parent to take my child out of that school and put him somewhere else, even a private school if I like. Again, many parents think this is fantastic because instead of being stuck sending their child to the "bad" or "poor" school, they can pick any they like. I see it as a way of throwing more money and support to private schools instead of public schools.

I'm sorry my opinion isn't exactly an objective one but I did give the reasons why those in favor of the FCAT support it. Plus, I wonder how many families coming to Florida even know about the FCAT. I think as a parent that it is one of the most important issues to consider if putting your child in a public school in this state. The entire school year revolves around this test and studying for it. It's a very big deal, whether you support it or not.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:35 PM

125 posts, read 504,966 times
Jim Davis all the way. FCAT IS A WASTE OF TIME. Working for the schools that all you see is FCAT FCAT. These poor children are so stressed.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 AM

269 posts, read 1,056,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I agree with what you have said and let me add that I think the FCAT is a joke! If it was such a great test to check if children were being taught well then it would be required in "private" schools and in "home schooled” children. Did you all know that Jeb Bush's brother OWNS the FCAT! Who's padding whose pocket!!!

Well, that's actually untrue. I found the statement pretty shocking...so I did a little research.

Neil Bush is a partner in Ignite Learning...a company that was founded in 1999 that creates educational software and hardware. It is true that 13 school (of 14,000) districts in the country have used "No Child Left Behind" money to buy the programs. It is also true that he has marketed the program to some Florida schools...but 80% of the company's business is in Texas.

They also don't offer a reading or math program...which I believe are two major parts of the FCAT.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 AM

269 posts, read 1,056,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
I have read all about the best and the worst of Florida on this board and everything in-between. Some of the more outspoken are people burdened are with crime taxes and insurance. And with all this I’m amazed that there almost no mention [if any] of voting or exercising our right to elect a representative who will govern with the people's best interest in mind. Is this even possible? Or is there only the lesser of 2 evils?

Does anyone have an opinion on one or the other – please explain
Well, I don't trust either of them... But I'm leaning Charlie Crist and here's why. I live in Tampa Bay..and used to listen to a lot of local AM radio (I'm now hooked on Sirius satellite). Whenever there was any kind of political dispute, or hurricane action, gas prices, or other local crisis, he was always on the radio very quickly dispelling myths and getting information out to the people. I appreciated that.

In addition, I would love to an increase in the Homestead exemption, and portability of Save Our Homes. These seem to be central issues for him along with HOI reform...

I agree with everyone that the FCAT's are terrible. When I first moved down here I worked as a substitute teacher for the Department of Juvenile Justice...we were forced to hammer these kids with FCAT practice quizzes etc. It was the primary focus of school administrators and completely stifled my attempts to really teach. I just don't know that Jim Davis is going to do any more than Crist to re-direct the focu back to real learning. Has he come up with a real, workable plan to steer us in a different direction?

Last edited by scamutz; 10-28-2006 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: clarification.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:11 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
Has he {Davis} come up with a real, workable plan to steer us in a different direction?
I can't cut and paste the article because of copywrite rules, but here's a link to an Orlando Sentinel article about that very subject:
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...fcat_plan.html

Or, do what I did, Google "Jim Davis Fcat".

He is not proposing any radical change which would have little chance of being implemented. Instead, his plan phases in realistic changes, such as letting students and teachers see the results of their tests so they know what they got wrong and can learn from it. He also proposes to use a broader set of guidelines to rate schools, and would do away with the "A" through "F" grading system. There's a lot more, do your research, but the bottom line is he does have a plan, and it looks like a sensible, workable plan.

Crist would "stay the course"...

Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 AM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
Crist will be elected by the retirees, who vote in huge turnout numbers........ something working people tend not to bother with these days

You know the old saying, if you're tired of what you've been getting, quit re-electing incumbents.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:22 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,218 times
Default I agree w/Grammy...

and actually wanted other guy who didn't make run-off. I will vote for neither Davis nor Crist and will do a write-in just to show my displeasure with our choice or lack of.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:39 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Here are some comments from Republicans about Crist.

A former Florida GOP Chairman, a Florida Chamber of Commerce Vice President and a Republican County Commissioner all joined the assault today on Charlie Crist's property tax plan, according to the Palm Beach Post.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Charlie Crist will say anything to get elected, but don't expect any of his promises to be enacted even by his fellow Republican colleagues.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-30-2006, 02:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
Why can't we see Max Linn in any of these debates? Another one tonight and no mention of Max Linn. If ever there was a time people need more than just 2 choices, now is the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies