Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:51 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times

Advertisements

This is what I can't figure out. My husband called for an appointment and was told the wait was 6 months, he went to the emergency room and got set up with appointments right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 05:02 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Why should they have to?

Old 05-25-2014, 05:05 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Most people do what they are told.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:42 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Who knows? One of my brother-in-laws, a Vet (although from mid 1970s, stationed in Germany), has multiple non-service-connected health issues but he has never gone to the VA, opting to use his Medicare coverage from his Federal disability status.

There are parts of this VA story which I don't understand. I read that the '14 day' mandate (i.e., appointments to be made within 14 days of the Vet requesting service) was a deadline picked out of thin air, apparently, and that due to the number of vets wanting service, and the number of doctors available, the mandate set up the clinics to fail. Hence the 'secret' waiting lists.

But I haven't seen anything showing what those Vets, who died while waiting for their appointment, died from. In other words, was a Vet calling for an appointment to see about a cardiac condition, then die of a heart attack while waiting to be seen? Or calling for an appointment concerning an emotional problem, only to die from some other problem?

As part of my job (reviewing Federal disability claims) I review many medical records from the VA. Often the VA records will also contain the 'initial contact' report (i.e., the Vet first calling the VA for an appointment). It seems that if the Vet is calling about a physical problem he or she gets a pretty fast appointment, while those claiming post-traumatic stress disorder or depression or such will not get a quick appointment. I had not, heretofore, noticed if the Vet were always (or never) given an appointment in two weeks time. I shall pay more attention.

I will note that Fort Worth does not have a VA hospital (there is one in Dallas), but a clinic serving some 14 counties. I believe that if a Vet calls with some emergency (chest pain) he or she is told to go to a hospital ER.

I will note that in the past few years the number of Vets filing for Federal disability benefits has gone up markedly, usually due to anxiety or depression.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:02 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Shell Shock............or maybe they didn't want to pay for an emergency room visit because our country should be taking care of them?

Old 05-25-2014, 06:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Shell Shock............or maybe they didn't want to pay for an emergency room visit because our country should be taking care of them?
That is likely true.

The vets in question are from a time of responsibility....they would not ignore the bill.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:24 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Perhaps they're unemployed and felt they couldn't afford a hospital visit. Perhaps they didn't know what their options were.
Perhaps they hoped to go where they would be understood.
Some died waiting on cancer treatment. That's not exactly an ER visit.
Some died from suicide while waiting for counseling appointments.

For those who have access to a smart phone, the VA has an ap to help with PTSD. It's not a replacement for counseling and medication, it helps to cope and recognize triggers.

You cannot imagine the level of depression some vets feel after discharge, especially if after an injury and or unable to find employment. Relationships also become a problem especially if you awake ready to fight or run from a nightmare about things experienced in service. The nightmares and feelings don't disappear with discharge. They gradually disapate over a period of many years. It's been almost 20 years since I served on a ship and it took more than ten years before the nightmares of nearly drowning, missile inbound, or loss of power ended. I still occasionally get dreams of still being on the ship. It was about 15 years before I could have a power outage at home and not feel the need to run to the engine room to get the boilers and generators up and running. We once loss power while maneuvering through the minefield off the coast of GITMO. Sometimes it's years before you realize how a traumatic event effected you. Something happens to you that triggers the same reaction,..a smell, an image, or a chance combination of things. Sometimes pride prevents vets from seeking help. It's easy for those who never experienced such things to say, just go to the ER or just get over it. It's another thing when you're in the grip of severe depression reliving or trying to avoid the memories.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
This is what I can't figure out. My husband called for an appointment and was told the wait was 6 months, he went to the emergency room and got set up with appointments right away.
Not sure there are too many Emergency Rooms capable of dealing with PTSD...

Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
This is true. I remember being in a significant amount of pain and waiting 6 weeks for surgery. Afterwards I complained about the wait and was told if I had showed up in the emergency room I would have had the surgery. At the time it would have cost me a co-pay of $75. A lot of vets are also covered by Medicare but choose VA to avoid the copays. When they get done looking at the 40 deaths in Phoenix while awaiting appointments they may find that none of them were related to a delay in getting an appointment. I would bet most people who die have a doctors appointment on their schedule.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:29 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
One of the things that helped me was to write my memories of traumatic experiences in great detail and share them with close family. Some vets are high strung and are easily startled by unexpected sudden loud noises. A soda in the freezer exploded and I dove to the floor thinking someone shot at hour house. Places with a large tightly packed group of people and no easily visible escape path will set me on edge. Wife knows not to expect me to go Christmas shopping in packed malls. She knows I need my quiet time to unwind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies