Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
We were told that acid rain was deadly, going to destroy civilization....I remember the warnings.
Remember, save the rainforest?

Leftists think everyone has short memories like they do.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:42 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Scientist Dr. Daniel Botkin Tells Congress why he reversed his belief in global warming to become a skeptic: ‘There are several lines of evidence suggesting that it (AGW) is a weaker case today, not a stronger case’ — Rips Obama climate report as ‘filled with misstatements contradicted by well-established and well-known scientific papers’

http://science.house.gov/sites/repub...n-20140529.pdf
Nothing new here.... Botkin has always been a skeptic. He is not an honest man if he claims otherwise.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
How do you figure that I'm anti economy? My province is one of the few places in North America that has a carbon tax, and it's economy is out performing the rest of Canada, plus it has decreased the income taxes I pay....Carbon tax is not the boogy man that Fox news and the fossil fuel companies tell you it is...They are flat out lying to you.
B.C. carbon tax showing positive results - The Globe and Mail
econ 101, when you lower taxes you get economic growth. your province instituted a carbon tax, but they then turned around and mitigated it by cutting income taxes. the carbon isnt what is spurring on your economy, the cuts in income and other taxes is.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
econ 101, when you lower taxes you get economic growth. your province instituted a carbon tax, but they then turned around and mitigated it by cutting income taxes. the carbon isnt what is spurring on your economy, the cuts in income and other taxes is.
Why are you constantly telling me things I already know?...My point was that a carbon tax, if it is done right is not the scary thing that many people think it is. The carbon tax in BC is revenue neutral, which means that every cent that is collected is returned to individuals and businesses through reduced income taxes.

In BC we pay more for fuel, that encourages consumers to use less, and to use more green energy...For instance I used to heat my home with oil, but now my oil furnace is just an unused back up system.

http://www.sustainableprosperity.ca/article3870

Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yeah, come on up to the Great White North and tell the Inuit it's a hoax. I'm sure they'd listen to an august and learned individual such as yourself, telling them it's all in their imagination.
I'll take one of the great minds in science, Freeman Dyson's word, that global warming, climate change, or whatever it's called today, is fake, over the word of some guy on the internet....you. But I'm sure you have it all over a guy like Dyson.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why are you constantly telling me things I already know?...My point was that a carbon tax, if it is done right is not the scary thing that many people think it is. The carbon tax in BC is revenue neutral, which means that every cent that is collected is returned to individuals and businesses through reduced income taxes.

In BC we pay more for fuel, that encourages consumers to use less, and to use more green energy...For instance I used to heat my home with oil, but now my oil furnace is just an unused back up system.

Sustainable Prosperity | British Columbia Enacted the Most Significant Carbon Tax in the Western Hemisphere. What Happened Next Is It Worked.
because you keep trying to make the point that a carbon tax would be good for an economy, and it isnt.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:25 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
The earth heats and cools periodically.

That's all that's going on.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:12 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Sustainable Prosperity | British Columbia Enacted the Most Significant Carbon Tax in the Western Hemisphere. What Happened Next Is It Worked.

So you have to freeze to be able to afford the heat bill.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I'll take one of the great minds in science, Freeman Dyson's word, that global warming, climate change, or whatever it's called today, is fake, over the word of some guy on the internet....you. But I'm sure you have it all over a guy like Dyson.
Yeah, so will I....Dyson agrees that anthropogenic global warming exists, and has written that of the main causes of warming is the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere resulting from our burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal and natural gas.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
because you keep trying to make the point that a carbon tax would be good for an economy, and it isnt.
You are hopeless....I explained the point I made already.
The fact that so far the BC carbon tax has not hurt our economy just illustrates that it is not the job sucking disaster deniers say it is..

Economies are whipsawed by massive forces all the time. The carbon tax shift has raised the price of petroleum products and natural gas by around 10 per cent -- less than their prices normally vary in a year.

Meanwhile, it's reduced corporate and personal income taxes. Economic theory suggests this swap of taxes will not hurt the economy and may even help. Some studies suggest that B.C.'s carbon tax shift in particular will eventually give British Columbia an economic boost. http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2014/03/12...bon-Tax-Shift/

http://www.sustainableprosperity.ca/dl891&display

Last edited by sanspeur; 05-31-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies