U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:10 PM

10,543 posts, read 12,017,413 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on the fair tax? I like what I've seen and am curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,408,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
What are your thoughts on the fair tax? I like what I've seen and am curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
I think it's another variation of the same shell game.

The only fair tax is a flat tax. Pick your percentage, but a flat tax on both income and businesses without any deductions is the best route I think we can take. Both from a fairness, and administrative perspective.

~T

Old 07-26-2007, 05:09 PM

7,378 posts, read 6,734,207 times
The Flat Tax does nothing about the underground economy or the accumulating of money in offshore accounts. The Fair Tax addresses both of these by only taxing what is spent, increasing incentives to invest.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:14 PM

659 posts, read 1,273,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I think it's another variation of the same shell game.

The only fair tax is a flat tax. Pick your percentage, but a flat tax on both income and businesses without any deductions is the best route I think we can take. Both from a fairness, and administrative perspective.

~T
I'm not so sure about these regressive taxes ( your flat tax) why shouldn't a high wage earner pay more tax in proportion (progressive)than a low wage earner after all the basics are effectively more costly to the low wage earner and could use up all his wages with little disposable left.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
I'm not so sure about these regressive taxes ( your flat tax) why shouldn't a high wage earner pay more tax in proportion (progressive)than a low wage earner after all the basics are effectively more costly to the low wage earner and could use up all his wages with little disposable left.
Because you are effectively punishing achievement and rewarding underachievement. The government should be doing exactly the opposite by providing incentives for its citizens to improve their economic standing.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,435,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Because you are effectively punishing achievement and rewarding underachievement.
My thoughts exactly. Also, we have had a progressive tax forever now. Are the lower income people doing great?

Old 07-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The Flat Tax does nothing about the underground economy or the accumulating of money in offshore accounts. The Fair Tax addresses both of these by only taxing what is spent, increasing incentives to invest.
Sorry, but only taxing spending has to be the dumbest thing I've heard in a long, long time. I know all about Neil Boortz's twisted little concoction. That all works well in a land where EVERYONE has disposable income.

You can't decide what you're going to buy unless you don't have to buy it. If you are telling me that you think a large portion of Americans can just "change their minds" about what they do with their income, you're sadly mistaken, and you truly are "Amazing John".

The bottom line is this, we not only need a FAIR tax, but a SIMPLE tax. A FLAT tax accomplishes both. We can basically fire 90% of the IRS. If we move to a federal only collection system, we can fire ALL state employees who are in collections. If not, you can pretty much fire another 90% at the state level, for those states that don't have flat tax rates already.

...and where do you get this "offshore accounts" thing? Do you realize how foolish that makes you sound? You make it sound like everyone making twice the national average has an account somewhere in the Caymans. I don't know what you earn John, but I'm starting to think you're entirely too overprivileged to really know what you're talking about when it comes to socioeconomic issues.

If you eliminate deductions, and collect tax at the pay period, the tax rates would be even lower. There would be no need to file a return, because there would be nothing to deduct. All of the money withheld from your salary would cover your taxes 100%, and not a penny more or less. There would be no wait for the govt, and no surprises for you at the end of the year. The substantially lower cost for collection and administration would actually lower the amount of taxes we would have to pay.

...as for that other comment from the other poster about having a "progressive" tax, lol. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY? A flat percentage already addresses that just fine. Earn a dollar, pay the DC Mafia their 15 cents and you're done. THAT would truly level the playing field.

~T

Old 07-26-2007, 06:23 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,071,610 times
If the Fair tax will eliminate all the ridiculous corporate loopholes I would take a close look at it.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Yap, are you so uneducated about the current tax system that you don't understand the act of removing money from the economy and sheltering it in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes in the U.S.? Ask George Soros, he's the master at doing this. You also didn't address the underground economy where nearly a TRILLION dollars goes untaxed. This includes drug dealers, illegal gamblers, and illegal aliens, to name a few. The Flat Tax would allow that to continue to grow, causing taxpayers' tax burden to grow along with it. Maybe you are a part of this underground economy and want to continue to avoid paying your share.

Another advantage of the Fair Tax is the ability for every taxpayer to know when their taxes are raised. They would be reminded every time they purchased an item. The Flat Tax could be quietly raised by Congress, under the radar of unsuspecting taxpayers.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Yap, are you so uneducated about the current tax system that you don't understand the act of removing money from the economy and sheltering it in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes in the U.S.? Ask George Soros, he's the master at doing this. You also didn't address the underground economy where nearly a TRILLION dollars goes untaxed. This includes drug dealers, illegal gamblers, and illegal aliens, to name a few. The Flat Tax would allow that to continue to grow, causing taxpayers' tax burden to grow along with it. Maybe you are a part of this underground economy and want to continue to avoid paying your share.

Another advantage of the Fair Tax is the ability for every taxpayer to know when their taxes are raised. They would be reminded every time they purchased an item. The Flat Tax could be quietly raised by Congress, under the radar of unsuspecting taxpayers.
I marvel at some of the statements you make.

Are you a government plant? lol

Yeah yeah, sure sure, fair tax. Uh huh, you can count on my vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies