Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Having had these diseases gives lifetime NATURAL immunity. No boosters necessary.
Measles, yes. Chickenpox, no. I've known several people who've a second case of chickenpox disease.

Why do so many of you ass*ume that people who believe in immunization are "afraid"? That's such a cop-out of an answer.

Which vaccine-preventable diseases do you want your kids to get?

Old 06-01-2014, 06:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
The anti-vaccination movement drives measles to a 20-year record high*-*Los Angeles Times

Seriously, Jenny McCarthy is probably directly responsible for the deaths of literally hundreds of children since she started her ignorant anti-vaccine campaign based on voodoo science. People have been hanged for much, much less.
Jenny McCarthy is probably indirectly responsible for the deaths of some children. Those directly responsible are the people heeding Jenny McCarthy's advice.

Anyway, McCarthy's speech is clearly free speech, by anyone even vaguely familiar with the relevant caselaw (specifically, the imminent lawless action test of Brandenburg v. Ohio(1969)) knows. McCarthy is free to espouse her harmful nonsense, as she should be. She should not do so, but she should be free to do so.

It's a cost of free speech. Better to tolerate it, and counter it with speech itself, than to begin criminalizing bad advice.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I got chicken pox in 1949 when I was 7 months old. That was exactly one month after I had measles at 6 months old. I didn't DIE. I wasn't even hospitalized.

In the early 90s I let my 6 year old daughter sleep with her 11 year old sister so she WOULD catch chicken pox. Oh, no, the horror! They are now going to get SHINGLES later in life! No, darlings, this 65 year is NOT going to get a vax HERSELF, for shingles, or anything else.

When they started vaccinating for Hepatitis back in the 90s, I told my daughters doctor, no more vaccinations. Because I was being brainwashed by JENNY MCCARTHY???? Who hell ever heard of Jenny McCarthy 20 years ago? I made up my own mind back then, as I will now as an OLD PERSON who will not be vaccinated by the latest and greatest science can come up with. I support these parents who QUESTION science.

Spare me your sheep immunity, and fear tactics. I will pit my poor old body's natural immunity against all of your's with your shots and pills.
All you need to do is google childhood mortality rates before vaccines to know that vaccines are very effective in protecting our children.

And you do realize that vaccines work with your natural immune system, right?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-01-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Measles, yes. Chickenpox, no. I've known several people who've a second case of chickenpox disease.

Why do so many of you ass*ume that people who believe in immunization are "afraid"? That's such a cop-out of an answer.

I would agree. Our pediatrician does a booster at age 14 after giving the initial immunization at 1. Dd#2 has had two boosters and will continue to get the chickenpox vaccine every 7 years for life. Her immune system can't fight viruses in this class. She actually broke out in spots the first time she was vaccinated. Rather interesting since she was given a dead virus. Fortunately, it was just pink spots (which she connected with colorful markers...it was quite hilarious.).

As the doctor predicted, the severity of her herpes outbreaks lessened after having the chicken pox vaccine. That was a relief as I didn't want her on anti virals as a child. She takes them now but she's old enough to feel an outbreak coming on. Her outbreaks were increasing and spreading before her last booster. She's had only a couple and the blisters have been confined to her mouth since then.

This is something she inherited. Her paternal grandfather had it and had shingles multiple times during his lifetime as well. I don't know what the link is but apparently there is one.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-01-2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:

I agree. We're not the ones who are afraid. That would be the fear mongering anti vaccers. We just know the benefits outweigh the risks. As I said before, all you have to do is google childhood mortality rates before vaccines to know that vaccines have done a world of good and those stats don't count kids who were scarred or disabled by diseases like my cousin who is deaf because her mother was exposed to measles when she was pregnant with her or my aunt who lost her sight to a high fever (rheumatic fever I believe).

I just hope we don't reach critical mass and end up with outbreaks of childhood diseases that could be prevented and deaths.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:38 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitegocubs View Post
Yes, they should be jailed for refusing to be vaccinated. If one believes the purpose of criminal punishment is to deter or protect the public, then it would be far more justified than jailing people for drug offenses or even petty theft. Threatening herd immunity has the potential of causing thousands of deaths and allowing previously contained diseases to mutate and undermine already existing inoculations.

This is not a hypothetical threat, but a certainty if enough people refuse vaccines for long enough, and again, it's not just the individual child, but whole communities, regions, and nations that are at stake.
Be careful what you wish for. What do you think the reaction of the public would be to hauling off
Granny to jail for refusing to get her flu or pertussis vaccination? Or would it only apply to PARENTS of young children, not old people?

SHEEP immunity, not herd, is the better word. I don't want to live in an America where there is no freedom to choose how to live your life, and what you put into your own body.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Thank you. You misinterpreted what suzy_q2010 said. She said the anti-vaxers may as well be pointing guns at people, that viruses are as dangerous as guns. This is true.

I seem to have missed that thread, probably for the best.
She also said that she would not second guess the Malawi government's decision which was to forcibly vaccinate people against their will.

You were very much involved in that thread. It was recent.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 PM

Preteen Vaccines - Personal Testimonies - Chickenpox Claimed the Life of My Son Christopher

The following two kids lived, so their disease was obviously no biggie:
Infant and Child Vaccines - Personal Testimonies - A Mother's Experience with Haemophilus influenzae type b
Infant and Child Vaccines - Personal Testimonies - Hib Meningitis Strikes Unvaccinated Baby

Infant and Child Vaccines - Personal Testimonies - Measles: A Dangerous Illness By Roald Dahl
An interesting warning about measles being "wiped out" in the US. Look what's happened since so many quit vaccinating.

Flu:
Infant and Child Vaccines - Personal Testimonies - The Story of Amanda Kanowitz

Plenty more at this website.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:48 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. We're not the ones who are afraid. That would be the fear mongering anti vaccers.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
She also said that she would not second guess the Malawi government's decision which was to forcibly vaccinate people against their will.

You were very much involved in that thread. It was recent.
I guess I was. I don't remember the stuff about Malawi, and I'm not going to get into a discussion about another poster you are referring to as if she's not here. That's rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. We're not the ones who are afraid. That would be the fear mongering anti vaccers. We just know the benefits outweigh the risks. As I said before, all you have to do is google childhood mortality rates before vaccines to know that vaccines have done a world of good and those stats don't count kids who were scarred or disabled by diseases like my cousin who is deaf because her mother was exposed to measles when she was pregnant with her or my aunt who lost her sight to a high fever (rheumatic fever I believe).

I just hope we don't reach critical mass and end up with outbreaks of childhood diseases that could be prevented and deaths.
That's the truth! You'd be amazed the calls I get from parents of unimmunized kids when these kids actually get exposed to a VPD. Then they're all afraid. The anti-vaccine literature leads them to believe their kids won't get sick b/c the diseases aren't really around any more, and their "healthy lifestyle" will prevent any/all disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies