Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 02:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I agree.....you can thank the minimum wage for that.

I have always thought working for other would only make money for them.

The solution is obvious; they should buy equipment and invest in themselves.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Is a phone a necessity? A computer? Cable? Does living in a tiny apartment kill you? Seriously... You live within your means by realizing that things like cable, a computer and a smart phone are luxuries not necessities. The library has computers you can use for free, books to read and movies to borrow. You can get a few channels on a TV without paying for cable. A land line phone or basic cell phone can be had for cheap.

How about living with roommates to share the rent on the apartment? I have a sister who lives in California who cannot afford a house by herself so she, her husband and their two kids lived in a house they shared with another family (her kids are now grown and moved out so it's just the two couples now). Or do what my niece did. She bought a duplex in Detroit and charges enough rent on the second unit to pay the mortgage payment. Granted she makes more than minimum wage but she found a way to have a free place to live. Someone else makes the payment for her.

If you are looking for opportunities to increase your income, a phone (a cheap prepaid phone will suffice), a computer (I got mine by volunteering at an electronics recycler), and internet access can be very useful - since I use my computer to make money, I consider my computer and internet access to be necessities for me.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:24 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,748,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
And obviously this can be fixed very simply by redistributing the wealth from rich to poor by raising taxes on the wealthiest tax brackets or adding a new highest tax bracket and redistributing it to like poorer people.

By definition, this will equalize the distribution of wealth in USA

Also because of inflation over the last few decades and state taxes, the poor pay too much taxes and the rich are paying highest tax bracket which in today's dollars, is no longer a high tax bracket ....and stuff

This is why the wealth inequality. Rich are paying too little in taxes and poor are paying too much

Otherwise wealth would be more fair like 50% of the wealth is in more like 50% of Americans....that's the ideal...each person being truly truly equal
What have you done that you deserve to take money from someone else?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
By and large, wealthy people get that way by repeatedly making the decision to defer gratification, even from a young age. People who can't resist instant gratification, who aren't willing to sacrifice their comfort now for more comfort later in life, will always end up less than wealthy.

They also often have financial advantages not available to all e.g. living with parents allows them to save up a down payment faster, or their parents paid for college.

Burger flippers don't become wealthy even when they defer gratification; there simply isn't enough income available to build.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have been doing that for decades. We also hand out free condoms and some schools pay for IUDs.
Sex Ed starts in elementary and goes on through HS.

The modern welfare state overrides the restraint that education affords.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Small business don't have the resources to buy politicians, tilt campaigns, and hire armies of lawyers, lobbyists and PR mouthpieces. Big business does have the resources to buy politicians.

Small business owners often contribute to political campaigns...in modest amounts that would surprise most people. A $250 or $500 donation doesn't buy any politician. Small business is more interested in making money than in buying politicians.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Liberals don't understand economics, much less human behavior. All they see is Joe has more than Paul, and they think that's wrong.

Don't liberals at least understand that people are greedy?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In the 50's was the beginning of decades of economic growth and prosperity, where we saw families with only one car, soon able to afford two. Television sets replaced the radio for evening entertainment when people used to listen to shows like "Fibber McGee and Molly" and "The Great Gildersleeve." Also "Dinner Winner." Now they had a picture to go with sound.

Home ownership also rose, as family incomes began to increase.

Few people did not experience an improvement in their standard of living, from washing machines to gas and electric clothes dryers, dishwashers, and other modern appliances.

To claim that this period saw the poor get poorer while the "rich got richer" is a flat out lie, and is nothing but the propaganda peddled by the anit-capitalist Left.

It wasn't until the 1980s that the poor got poorer while the rich got richer.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Don't liberals at least understand that people are greedy?
Not to mention some have simply been conditioned to expect the government to do for them. The entitlement mentality is very real.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Come now religion isn't the cause. Ignorance is the cause. How many of those inner-city unwed moms are bible banging zealots? How many inner city schools have a religious element that has any influence? Ill say a streetwise kid is years advanced over a country kid the same age when it comes to sex.
Now if you want to go to the sticks of WV or some other Down south state I might agree if you are talking the sticks. But lets face it the bottom line is ignorance and stupidity.
Now you are generalizing a stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies