Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:39 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

The real irony in the whole abortion thing is that it is legal to abort a baby, but if someone hurts the mother which cause the baby to be miscarried, like during an assault, they can be found guilty of murder. Complete double standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The real irony in the whole abortion thing is that it is legal to abort a baby, but if someone hurts the mother which cause the baby to be miscarried, like during an assault, they can be found guilty of murder. Complete double standard.
Why is that a double standard? One involves a woman's choice and the other does not.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder the same thing every time I hear a Conservative wanting to govern a woman's body or tell a couple who they can and cannot marry. Nanny State Conservatives.
One is murder, the other is just a bunch of people wanting to tell all of us what we can eat. There is a huge difference, just like the first lady wanting to control school lunches.

I am 100% in favor of teaching kids healthy eating habits, but I also do volunteer work at a school, in a rural area that is low middle class for the most part. If people could see the food that is wasted, they would realize, just serving healthy meals isn't the answer. What do the kids eat at lunch? 90% will eat their pizza, burgers, etc and. 5% will eat the banana, apple, orange, or veggies. One day Cantaloupe was offered, I was shocked to find out most of the kids had never even tasted it.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Seriously, bacon is one of the greatest foods in the world. You could put bacon on just about anything and make it taste better. Heck, we even have a bacon sandwich, the BLT.

Just toast mustard and bacon, is good!
If you don't have the L&T

Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Mother slips and falls and causes a miscarriage. A mother doesn't take care of her body and causes a miscarriage. Miscarriage can and does happen from negligence. Even still, would you want a woman to stand trial over an accidental death when she has a miscarriage? Of course not.
Neither would I. Nor do I think abortion should be illegal. I do believe abortion is immoral. I do not believe a woman should be forced to follow my moral belief on this issue.

You can actually believe something is wrong without believing government should address the wrong.

Women have faced charges when their gross negligence during pregnancy has resulted in a child born with health issues. Scott Peterson was charged with two counts of murder.

A slip and fall would most likely not meet the standard of manslaughter in your scenario, chronic abuse of drugs and alcohol probably would.

Roe v. Wade saved us from a Gore presidency. That is reason enough for me to support abortion.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Neither would I. Nor do I think abortion should be illegal. I do believe abortion is immoral. I do not believe a woman should be forced to follow my moral belief on this issue.

You can actually believe something is wrong without believing government should address the wrong.

Women have faced charges when their gross negligence during pregnancy has resulted in a child born with health issues. Scott Peterson was charged with two counts of murder.

A slip and fall would most likely not meet the standard of manslaughter in your scenario, chronic abuse of drugs and alcohol probably would.

Roe v. Wade saved us from a Gore presidency. That is reason enough for me to support abortion.
I have issue with what you think is immoral or not, I have an issue with people who think their morals should govern others and what they can and cannot so with their own bodies.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:02 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Why is that a double standard? One involves a woman's choice and the other does not.
The double standard is: only people can be murdered. Is a fetus a person or not? If it's merely a body part, as pro-choicers argue, then an assault charge would be more appropriate. You can't murder a body part.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
I have issue with what you think is immoral or not, I have an issue with people who think their morals should govern others and what they can and cannot so with their own bodies.
I just expect pro-lifers and pro-choicers to be honest.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

The bolded is the issue I have with many of those who call themselves conservative. They say they want less government, except when it comes to THEIR moral beliefs. Then they want the government involved, legislatating according to their beliefs.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
I wonder the same thing every time I hear a Conservative wanting to govern a woman's body or tell a couple who they can and cannot marry. Nanny State Conservatives.
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies